I just beat __

Sonic Forces

The final boss was pretty cool, and hard.

My favourite part was the triple boost with the two sonics and your OC

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight

I fucking did it. I beat that hell spawn of a final boss. I didn't even swap to easy mode I just did it on normal. My first try got him to his final phase at 10% health before the party wipe, the following 4 attempts stopped me at phase 6 where you need to burst out an absurd amount of damage within a few turns. Final attempt was the final attempt, I'd learnt how to make sure I did enough damage during phase 6 and I knew how aggressive I needed to be in the final phase to win.

It was the story party, which is Fafnir/Protector/War Magus/Sovereign/Survivalist. A party that has one amazing damage dealer (Fafnir), a good one (War Magus) and some mediocre and/or situational ones (the rest).

Fafnir was almost constantly in Force Boost mode thanks to the unique force bar gimmick that Ur-Child has. He was always on the offense since he is my only solid damage dealer but he burns through TP very fast so I had to use Sovereign's Force Break to help him along. Using Delayed Chase was important for not letting up on the pressure when Ur-Child was ready to counter. I had to use Delayed Chase the turn before Phase 6 started otherwise I would get a game over; I had no alternative to do enough damage within the turn limit. Final phase I just did my normal Force Boost pattern (D.Chase > Boost+Wave > B.Recoil > Extend > Accel. > Wave x3 > Break) but relied on the party to keep him safe and debuff Ur-Child.

Protector (Bertrand) was actually partially offense thanks to the final boss' lack of resistance to Blind, which allowed me to ignore defending on occasion and use Shield Smite for just a little more damage. I always had him attack the reinforcements, it didn't matter what damage I took since I could recover it afterwards; but I couldn't recover it if everyone died in one hit to Exodus. I did use his Force Break on three specific occasions, like most other things; this saved me from game overs. Heal Guard came in handy when one character was lacking a bit in health; but you needed someone to die when Value of Solitude was coming up because it did x5 damage if your entire party is alive, Berty was the best choice to die to Howling Wind (instant kill) since he could actually tank a weakened Exodus after being revived.

War Magus (Chloe) was mostly on support despite how I used her for offense for pretty much the entire game. Barrier was the only thing stopping Lunatic Dance and Behold my Power from instantly killing the run with ailments. Artery was the only thing keeping the party from dying with its passive healing. Finally I had her use Ailing Slash during turns when Barrier wasn't necessary or Artery didn't need refreshing because she does a lot of damage with it, she does basically x3 damage when the boss is hit with an ailment too which is handy. Barrier/Artery/Ailslash are the three moves that make me adore this class so much. I used Guard Slash (lower defense) for the only time during the final phase to improve Fafnir's overall damage.

Survivalist (Flavio) was on Blind duty, he usually sucks at dealing damage and once Blind or Paralyze hits he just sort of does whatever he can. He was a huge help actually, specifically his high agility which let him use items before anyone else so dead party members don't miss out on my Party Buffs. Blind Arrow was truly godlike during this fight. He's a one-trick pony but it's a god damn beautiful pony. I had him use items during the final phase to remove the buffs/debuffs that Ur-Child applies. Whenever Howling Wind wouldn't be followed up with Value of Solitude I'd have him use Chain Dance to taunt the boss and evade the attack.

Sovereign (Arianna) was basically the backbone of Fafnir's absurd damage output, her Force Break recovers HP/TP for the entire party but being a Force Break it had to be timed right. I made sure she almost always used Link Order (Element Chaser) when Fafnir was attacking because it was her only offensive skill and had her use Attack and Dauntless Order on the party otherwise. Dauntless Order (revive upon death chance) is good during the start but terrible when dealing with Value of Solitude. Link Order II was incredible for the reinforcements being one of my only AoE attacks, however it was still a chaser skill so it relied on Fafnir too.

God damn this game is fucking sick.

Sonic CD

There's only one problem. When I finished the game, I got this message:

"Unfortunately, Sonic CD has stopped"

After all, I didn't get the chaos emeralds.

Ocarina of Time

Didn't really bother with the rest of the Gold Skulltulas beyond just getting the Giant's wallet and missed a few heart pieces, but I think I got all the weapon upgrades this time around.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife

Well, how to explain it? This is a medical simulation game. That means you operate people and things. The plot's main character is a surgeon called Derek Stiles, who fights against a disease determined GUILT. He also has the "Healing Touch", some sorta ability to slow down time. In the last operation, I fought against a strain called "Savato". It's basically a spider-like parasite that lives on its victim's heart and nullifies the pulse. You defeat it by using Derek's Healing Touch twice to stop the time, as Savato moves incredibly fast. Then you inject a serum and it's over. Yay.

There are also seven extra missions where you operate on unidentified victims, fighting against each of the seven strains of GUILT (Kyriaki, Deftera, Triti, Tetarti, Pempti, Paraskevi, and Savato).

If you wanna know more about it, search it on Google or something.

This game's tough...

LED42™ said:
Trauma Center: Under the Knife

Well, how to explain it? This is a medical simulation game. That means you operate people and things. The plot's main character is a surgeon called Derek Stiles, who fights against a disease determined GUILT. He also has the "Healing Touch", some sorta ability to slow down time. In the last operation, I fought against a strain called "Savato". It's basically a spider-like parasite that lives on its victim's heart and nullifies the pulse. You defeat it by using Derek's Healing Touch twice to stop the time, as Savato moves incredibly fast. Then you inject a serum and it's over. Yay.

There are also seven extra missions where you operate on unidentified victims, fighting against each of the seven strains of GUILT (Kyriaki, Deftera, Triti, Tetarti, Pempti, Paraskevi, and Savato).

If you wanna know more about it, search it on Google or something.

This game's tough...

Man I really want to try that game, I've heard some tracks from it's OST like severing the chains of fate for example and they sound amazing.

Birdo said:
I just beat Paper Mario: Color Splash for the third time!

Now time to play it the fourth time!

Have you ever completed it 100%? To do so, you must do the following:
  • Beat the game
  • Complete the Prisma Museum
  • Complete all six Port Prisma achievements
  • Complete both Violet Passage achievements
  • Beat the final boss again after doing all the above tasks...
    ...with the Black Bowser's Castle card!
Good luck doing all of that!

Only once! But yeah the other times I only got to Bowser. This time I'll complete it 100% though so I can use that...
Black Bowser Card

Oxenfree (Switch)

It's a pretty short point-and-click-esque game. I said "esque" because tapping on the screen isn't the only option, since you can control the main character with a control stick, which is what I use. Actually I don't remember if it can be "point-and-clicked".

I only played through the game once, but apparently this game has multiple endings (but no way to circumvent that due to having only one save file). While there are parts of the game that are just walking through the terrain to get to places required to progress the game, the characters at least get to talk to each other, so it's not exactly just walking through without anything to do.

I think the game is kind of freaky because it involves ghosts and some supernatural phenomena, but it is also kind of character-based due to the fact that there are five characters that you can respond to.

Thank you for reading.

Runbow (Wii U)

Basically a platformer where the background colour changes, rendering certain obstacles invisible and thus, making them inactive. For example, if the background is yellow, a yellow platform becomes part of the background and make the character fall. The game is known for its massive local multiplayer capability, where up to 9 players can join (I imagine the upcoming Switch version can only go up to 8 players though), though it can also easily be completed with one player, like I did most of my run.

I have only beaten the boss levels, which doesn't require beating all the levels since this game operates in a map where you have to beat the level in a grid so that you can advance to the cell next to it. Even then, I do the Red levels (essentially difficult levels) whenever I can in case I come back to this game, in which I won't have as much trouble when I want to complete the adventure.

The levels are generally short, but due to how deadly or tricky the levels are, I require more than one attempt to beat that level. That's why I did the Red levels first: they tend to require more dexterity compared to the Yellow and Green ones.

Thank you for reading.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment

Another great campaign. I really liked this game's story and how it dug into almost every character's backstory. Specter Knight had a very fun playstyle even if it was nothing like his boss fight. That's the last campaign for now, so I'll be looking forward to King of Cards (even if I have my doubts about if it will be as good as the first three).

Okamiden

Truly one of the DS' greatest gems and incredibly faithful to it's equally as phenomenal predecessor.

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth

I beat the main game/story, there's an extra stratum but I beat a tough boss and made the credits roll. Said boss wasn't actually very hard but it came close to wiping me when it killed my Dragoon, however my Shaman was at 95% Union and had a Union Skill that fully restored the party so I just had to wait a turn and then I got rid of the final part of its health.

I've taken a quick look at the final stratum, holy shit it's cool.

I used Masurao (Master), Dragoon (Cannon), Harbinger (Deathbringer), Warlock (Elemancer) and Shaman (Herald). Overall a good team but I can't do much to deal with multiple binds or ailments, all I can do is throw up things to try and prevent it. It's also a lot more buff heavy than it is debuff heavy. I didn't invest my skill points too well but it has worked out for now.

Golf Story

This game visibly takes inspiration from the Mario Golf games from the handheld, which is the Golf RPG aspect. Therefore, you have a player character travelling throughout the region and play golf, level up to assign skill points in your stats, and have challenges assigned by the NPCs. The game is heavily emphasised on the "story" part compared to Mario Golf, whereas the golf aspect is less complex than Mario Golf. It is also heavily weighted on the single-player aspect since the multiplayer part of this game is way simpler compared to the more robust options Mario Golf games tend to offer, including the handheld ones.

It's nonetheless a very fascinating game because the golf system is, while simpler than Mario Golf, is still very fun. I found myself chipping away into the game for 8 straight days to finish the game, and finally after 22 hours this game is completed. The characters and environments are very charming, which will certainly be a favourite amongst most Mario fans here judging on how there are many people here who liked Paper Mario for the characters.

If you want to compare this game to Mario Golf, as I have said, this game has meaty gameplay, but the options provided for long-term play is limited. Even though the game has a Tournament or tag team golf, neither features were present in multiplayer, which only has two players and no course options (you can only play the full course every time), no character select and the hazards in the course cannot be removed. However, if you like to play Golf for the RPG aspect, I would recommend this game.

Thank you for reading.

Sonic Mania (Knuckles playthrough)

Got all seven chaos emeralds much like I did in my Sonic+Tails playthrough, although I'm quite proud that I managed to have them all collected much earlier than I did on my original run.

--Edit--

Sonic Riders Zero Gravity

Maaaaan I really wish SEGA would make a new Riders game already, I forgot how fun it was. I cleared through both Team Sonic and the Babylon Rouge's campaign modes respectively and defeated ABIS.

EDGE (Two Tribes; Steam)

In this game, you control a cube and you have to guide it to the goal. The game is played on a grid-based field and at an isometric perspective, and the cube doesn't move as freely as you think, since it flips when it moves around. For example, if the cube is stuck in a hole, it's stuck there. The biggest movement option in this game is hanging on the wall, which has two advantages: you can ride a moving wall and decreases the time cleared (you are graded based on completion time).

I have completed all the Normal levels and the Extended levels. The former is regular gameplay that goes through the basics, but the latter is the more interesting one, with varied themes, including a few levels where there is a black cube that behaves like a rival. The difficulty curve for the former is consistent, while the latter ramps it up near the end, cumulating to a very tough final level where you need to hang on walls at several points in the stage, which is not easy to do due to requiring concentration.

By the way, this game has really catchy techno music! Here's my favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiraMfsf7Xw

Thank you for reading.

Momohime's story in Muramasa: The Demon Blade

The last few bosses were easier than some of the bosses in the first half of the game but that might just be because I got better at the game. Supposedly there's a third difficulty added but I can't find it.

Guess I'll play Kisuke's story some time. I assume that's how you get the ability to break white barriers.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

This game is sort of a mixed bag with most fans, and I can completely understand that. But I prefer it to the original game. Why? I feel like the companions were more interesting, and the exploration of the Force's moral greyness was really incredible. One huge complaint I had was the ending, which just sort of... happened. The Ebon Hawk leaves Malachor V and... nothing else. Done.

Rubek (PC)

header.jpg

You control a cube, and need to guide it to the glowing white tile, which is the goal. Along the way there are plus tiles will colour the side of the cube with the same colour. There are floors, switches and teleports of a colour that can only be crossed when that side of the cube has that colour.

It's a simple game but it can also be tricky. In my experience, I found the game to be just right in difficulty, since this game feels oddly linear even though it has a few open-ended elements. Every level takes a short time to complete, and with only 80 levels, it's a pretty short game. At the very least it's cheap so it's good for a cheap thrill puzzler.

The music in this game is rather quiet, so while this game is playing I would play some Puyo Puyo Fever music to go along with the ride.

This game's grading system is structured like a standard mobile game: 3 stars for a close-to-optimal amount of moves, 2 stars allow for more room for error, and 1 star otherwise. Amusingly, this game's achievements doesn't require players to 100% (get 3 stars in all levels), since the biggest achievements are to get 200 stars and to complete all levels, so casual players can actually get all achievements without being a completionist.

Thank you for reading.

Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows

After rage quitting the game and it leaving for a while, I returned to the game and managed to defeat Tower of Fate: Ascent. The boss rush was much easier than it was with Shovel Knight, but that’s probably because Plague Knight has a move set built for fighting bosses better. I also enjoyed the true final boss much more than the original, as it was simply more enjoyable and felt more like a traditional boss fight.

Overall, I’d say this is the weakest of the Shovel Knight campaigns. At times Plague Knight doesn’t play well on stages built for Shovel Knight. But as most of time he plays fine on the stages, the problem isn’t too bad.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga DX

I finally conquered M&L1!
Cackletta's soul was REALLY hard. You have to first get rid of Cackletta's arms, then her head...for about five attacks on her heart. After that, you have to repeat the process until Cackletta’s heart is no more. You’re lucky enough to get her angry!

I also failed to get the ten Beanstones and five Beanlets before the sidequests ended. I also missed the Revenge Jeans, as I beat Hoohooria (the name I chose for Jojora’s friend) before Jojora, who is now my least favorite Mario character.

I also really pity Bowser throughout the game. He tries to help the Mario Bros., but gets brainwashed, serves a thief, gets possessed by the witch he tried to stop in the first place, and ultimately gets bashed against the screen. There is also a strange inconsistency in which Bowser’s Castle is warped to its original location in the Mushroom Kingdom immediately after its destruction.

Kirby's Helpers said:
Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows
Overall, I’d say this is the weakest of the Shovel Knight campaigns. At times Plague Knight doesn’t play well on stages built for Shovel Knight. But as most of time he plays fine on the stages, the problem isn’t too bad.

Is it because of controls being bad or just because it recycled Shovel Knight's levels?

I'm asking this because I just don't think the controls are as terrible as people say they are. It's really fun when you get used to it.

Especially after getting the Pandemonium armor

I found the story to be good too.

Back