Improvements needed for the Mario series.

Zae said:
Depends on the game, but I'm going to refer to 3d here.

More open and exploring and relative to the mushroom kingdom:

SMG felt very small and linear, especially with comparison to the sm64 and sms.

On top of that, there really hasn't been much adventuring in the mushroom kingdom itself in said 3d platforming games, I think this could be taken to a great level. Considering that even metroid prime had beautiful environments to this day. I think a more open mario game could take advance of such a thing.

Drifting from SMG's very linear and rather boring to look at worlds and areas.

Difficulty:

Mario games have never been really that difficult, and it's starting to become rather boring plowing through mario games without much effort at all. There a variety of ways to setup challenge in a 3d open world, so that should be limitless. Plus its really nice to overcome something that gave you a hard time imo.

Thats all I got for now, probably think of something later.
SMG izs the best looking mario game. I sometimes can't stop looking at the background.

NintendoQueen814 said:
Yes! Even if they are in the spin-off games, I would definitely play as them! I just wish they were in the games more, especially more than Bowser Jr...since when did HE become the main kid of Bowser's?? :(

I'm assuming that since the Koopalings are all equals (Assuming. Again.) you can't just add one of them into the game, but at the same time it seems overkill to add all seven of them.

So they created Bowser Jr, to kind of act as a combination of all seven. Which is why the Koopalings were probably absent for so long.

Again, probably not true, just a theory.

King Bill said:
Zae said:

On top of that, there really hasn't been much adventuring in the mushroom kingdom itself in said 3d platforming games, I think this could be taken to a great level. Considering that even metroid prime had beautiful environments to this day. I think a more open mario game could take advance of such a thing.

Difficulty:

Mario games have never been really that difficult, and it's starting to become rather boring plowing through mario games without much effort at all. There a variety of ways to setup challenge in a 3d open world, so that should be limitless. Plus its really nice to overcome something that gave you a hard time imo.

SMG izs the best looking mario game. I sometimes can't stop looking at the background.
I agree how can you find it boring? SM64 has boring background.

King Bill said:
Zae said:

Difficulty:

smg is very horrible looking on higher res tvs and its just sms models with glow effect.

depends what form of boring you're talking about.

SM64 is pretty ugly and has aged badly, however sm64 had great level design(besides the desert), and far more openness. Something smg didn't do very well, at all.

There isn't really much to smg worlds, being stupidly small, and just not very impressive level design at all. Especially for a 3d platformer.

Infact sm64 open levels were far better since there was much to explore and several ways to approach your objective.

and when it comes down to it, going by wii/gcn standards, SMG is not an impressive looking game at all. Example wind waker, xenoblade, and metroid prime looking signiifcantly more beautiful and astonishing then anything you ever see in smg.

Of course I could be REALLY unfair and compare this to the amazing visual enviroment of elder scrolls oblivion, which has lush environments, and just absolutely gorgeous to the core.

Zae said:
King Bill said:
Zae said:

Difficulty:

smg is very horrible looking on higher res tvs and its just sms models with glow effect.

SM64 is pretty ugly and has aged badly, however sm64 had great level design(besides the desert), and far more open. Something smg didn't do very well at, at all.

There isn't really much to smg worlds, being stupidly small, and just not very impressive level design at all. Especially for a 3d platformer.
How can you say Gusty Garden is bad?

yoshidude99 said:
Zae said:
King Bill said:
Zae said:

Difficulty:

SM64 is pretty ugly and has aged badly, however sm64 had great level design(besides the desert), and far more open. Something smg didn't do very well at, at all.

How can you say Gusty Garden is bad?

edited post, go back.

Also gusty garden was okay but that doesn't save the entirity of smgs worlds and levels being a snore to look at. Also a compacted world in a 3d platformer or really any 3d game, is just really lame in general. Especially when predecessors were far more open and had a ton to explore.

I agree with Zae. There were too many linear and 2.5D levels in Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Super Mario 64 was great because of the exploration.

As long as we're talking about the 3D games, I'd really like more playable protagonists besides Mario (and Luigi). Apart from Yoshi and Wario in SM64DS, Mario has been the only playable character in every 3D Mario game with Luigi only in the Galaxies.

Yeah, Mario should stop being playable in every game he appears in (I know it's an exaggeration). Sheesh.

Yeah, Yoshi needs some time back in the spotlight and if Toad was playable, it could end up proving his worth, and hey, why not add DK as a playable guest character?

No, no Yoshi. Please. He has his own series.

Toad, Daisy, Waluigi, Toadette could work out. Donkey Kong has his own series too.

Aqua Soul said:
As long as we're talking about the 3D games, I'd really like more playable protagonists besides Mario (and Luigi). Apart from Yoshi and Wario in SM64DS, Mario has been the only playable character in every 3D Mario game with Luigi only in the Galaxies.

I think this would be good, but give each character significantly different traits, different powerups to do different things, and thus different ways to approach each objective depending on who you're playing as.

With that, it adds a ton of re-playability to the game itself, and really, just sounds rad.

Yoshi can stick to being the trusty steed, not a playable character

Last time I checked, Waluigi wasn't a protagonist. He could still work as a boss though.

And hey, if we're gonna have Daisy and Toadette playable, then we should have Peach as well.

Um yeah yoshi doesn't really fulfill the role as main character I guess.

SM64ds did his gameplay really badly too, which sucks. I love yoshi. ;.;

Plus I'd rather see yoshi being ridden and swallowing up those shells to do lots of different things(although don't make blue shells broken again please).

I just had an idea for a plot twist: Bowser transforms the whole world to make it resemble Dark Land and casts a spell turning all the inhabitants into his minions, but female inhabitants are immune to the spell, so now Peach, Daisy, Toadette and Toad (after being given a protective suit to shield him from the suit) have to break Bowser's spells.

Aqua Soul said:
I just had an idea for a plot twist: Bowser transforms the whole world to make it resemble Dark Land and casts a spell turning all the inhabitants into his minions, but female inhabitants are immune to the spell, so now Peach, Daisy, Toadette and Toad (after being given a protective suit to shield him from the suit) have to break Bowser's spells.

That sounds a little too... It sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon made specifically for little girls. :v

Better than the cake plot in Super Mario Galaxy 2 any day.

Ser Espiel said:
Aqua Soul said:

That sounds a little too... It sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon made specifically for little girls. :v

Eh, I'd say what makes a plot specifically for girls is if practically everything in the show is feminine. The only part of my plot twist is that 3/4 of the playable characters are female. That's it really.

it'd be best to balance it out in all honesty and this isn't hard to do with the overwhelming amount of Mario characters in the series.

Zae said:
it'd be best to balance it out in all honesty and this isn't hard to do with the overwhelming amount of Mario characters in the series.

It's sad that one out of all those characters usually gets a main role in games these days.

Because the series is named after this particular character. >_>

Back