Do you think Mario Kart Tour is Mario Kart 9?

Do you think Mario Kart Tour is Mario Kart 9?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jack Frost

Hee ho!
What do you guys think? I've seen some people say the next one will be called Mario Kart 10 since Tour counts as the ninth entry. Personally I hope that's not the case. I vote no.

It better not. I personally love Tour but I don't think it deserves to actually count as a game. I'd say it's kind of a spin-off of a spin-off (Mario Kart).

It better not. I personally love Tour but I don't think it deserves to actually count as a game. I'd say it's kind of a spin-off of a spin-off (Mario Kart).
Yeah. It's pretty fun until you have to do the time trial Kalamari Dessert.

I would say Tour is a spinoff of regular Mario Kart games. The gameplay is drastically different, it's a mobile game, and then there's all the monetization and stuff. That doesn't mean Nintendo won't call the next game Mario Kart 10 though, they could indeed pull a Windows 10 and skip 9 altogether

That doesn't mean Nintendo won't call the next game Mario Kart 10 though, they could indeed pull a Windows 10 and skip 9 altogether
Well that's what I'm referring to, because if the next one is called Mario Kart 10, then that confirms Tour as the ninth entry.

Well that's what I'm referring to, because if the next one is called Mario Kart 10, then that confirms Tour as the ninth entry.
Not necessarily. There never was a Windows 9, they just jumped from 8 to 10 without much of an explanation. There was never a Samsung galaxy S11, S12, S13, S14, S15, S16, S17, S18, or S19 either. They skipped from 10 to 20. So what I'm saying is that Nintendo can release a Mario Kart 10 without confirming Tour as the ninth entry.

It feels more like a spinoff but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo cares about the distinction even less than we do. They could easily just drop the numbering scheme again for the next game and we'd never really know.

I thought it's interesting that Super Mario Run and Mario Kart Tour both have a sort of mutual acknowledgement between the console games and their mobile offerings. Like for example, Mario Kart Tour offers courses in the wider Mario Kart series on consoles, and at the same time Mario Kart 8 Deluxe makes use of Mario Kart Tour courses in the Booster Course Pass. Super Mario Run ran for very long and celebrates new releases (e.g.: Super Mario Odyssey, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Princess Peach Showtime) with events.

(Unfortunately, Dr. Mario World is yet to be properly acknowledged officially, given how unceremoniously the game was treated)

Anyway, all this is to say that I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo treated Mario Kart Tour as an official entry to the Mario Kart series, which I imagine is something that would never happen to the other Mario Kart game, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit. That game may be Switch's original Mario Kart game, but not one that is generally acknowledged to be one (though it would be untrue when they say nobody calls it one). This is in spite of how mobile games are often dismissed as "not-main", a label that Super Mario Run got even though Nintendo officially considers it part of the Super Mario platformer family (for the screenshot below, it's the game in between Super Mario Maker 1 and Super Mario Odyssey).

800px-SuperMarioBros35thAnniversary_-_Game_Collection.jpg

Thank you for reading.

They could easily just drop the numbering scheme again for the next game and we'd never really know.
And I've been hoping that they do. It doesn't show off the games' unique personalities or new ideas. (Like, imagine if Double Dash!! were just called Mario Kart 4.) It also gives the weird implication that you ought to play the games sequentially, when it's otherwise obvious that there's no point or benefit to that.

To its credit, Mario Kart 8 actually does show off the game's gimmick, the mobius strip created out of antigravity

They'll probably drop the numbering scheme imo, they did for Mario Party it seems.

Uhr too many signs to tell the difference.

1) If Tour is the successor it would make zero sense to port its contents to MK8 which is backfoward. We should instead just keep Tour on its track and then port its entire game to home console platform instead,

2) The bigger problem is excluding karts and costumes, there are no exclusive original courses left in Tour right now. Then it needs to keep updates to show that it succeeds MK8. Unfortunately this isn't the case.

Last edited:
Back