Do Koopas bury their dead?

Ihsan997

Blooper
The ubiquitous nature of dry bones vexes me. What do the Koopas do with their deceased? Are they shocked or disgusted when they see the skeletons of their own rising? Or is necromancy something normal for them?

Are they shocked or disgusted when they see the skeletons of their own rising?

koopas attend a family member's funeral and have to pretend to be grieving and shit for the protocol, but really they're just bored out of their minds, and their noisy sobbing belies jaded groans. they know that when the funeral ends, the deceased emerges from the casket and says "this took way too long for pete's sake, it was so cramped in there, can i have a glass of water" and everyone else is just "oh hello dave"

the actually disgusting stuff is that the koopa isn't a skeleton by this point, it just rots away as it goes on. that's why a law passed in the mushroom kingdom to have deceased koopas spend a while inside their casket before they're brought back into society. they're given gba sp's with several of those video cartridges (but no games) for entertainment

I'd imagine it'd go something like this:

"Today we mourn Jethro Koopa, who lived happily in World-"

*Dry Bones bursts through the casket*

"Grandpa!"

"Hey-a there, kiddo! Told ya I was gonna be only dead for a jiffy! Whaddya say we toss the 'ol Lil' Oink skin around, huh?"

*Both the Koopa and Dry Bones run outside*

"…we spent so many coins on this funeral…

"I hate being a funeral home director… nobody stays dead."

"Makes good pay though, right?"

"…no."

Koopas much like the zombies in hit movie return of the living dead can only be killed by burning. This process must occur in the first 3 hours after death. Otherwise the bones harden and become impossible to burn without the hottest of lava. Or of course by freezing then until they're brittle enough to shatter

Koopas much like the zombies in hit movie return of the living dead can only be killed by burning. This process must occur in the first 3 hours after death. Otherwise the bones harden and become impossible to burn without the hottest of lava. Or of course by freezing then until they're brittle enough to shatter
Oh really? Then explain the Super Mario Bros Movie, where a Koopa Troopa is burned until he becomes a Dry Bones and still remains alive.

They tuck their dead into a shell and kick it into a pit for eternity

Am I the only one who suddenly finds the Koopas much less cute than before?

I imagine it's like that scene from The Holy Grail where they are collecting the dead bodies but instead of disposal it's to turn them into Dry Bones.

Maybe Dry Bones are either unintentional and only happen by accident or require an extended period of time (decades or centuries) before becoming reanimated.

Last edited:
The Koopas in Koopa Village might be unfamiliar with them.

Either that or Koops has an irrational fear of them, like "DryBonesO'Phobia" (I made it up myself)

They aren't immortal, per se, but cannot die of natural causes and are cycled through to the next Mario game if they survive. However, if Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, or Daisy kill a Koopa Troopa, they turn into Dry Bones. If the Dry Bones are then killed, however, they are reincarnated into inanimate objects such as hills, bushes, flowers, and such with eyes, watching over Mario eternally.

If Hooktail's Castle is anything to go by, which is outright littered with Koopa skeletons, and not all of them spring to life to attack you, it seems to be more of a case by case basis. We can assume that those within the ranks of the Koopa Troop are brought back as undead soldiers due to necromancy, likely by Kamek or another magic-wielding individual.

As for those unaffiliated with an antagonist, it's possibly the result of a Koopa who could not pass on peacefully and their grudges keep their soul tied to their now skeletal bodies. If all of them turned into Dry Bones, that'd be kind of sad; that would imply not a single Koopa gets to move on to the afterlife.

Back