Why are DK characters integrated into Mario?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windy

Lakitu
I can't understand why include the DK characters who never appeared once in Mario.
The characters must have at least one appearance in the Mario game.
DKWiki was merged into MarioWiki, but the Fandom exists separately.
Cannot be make separate the appearances list in infobox like other Nintendo characters?
Example:
Latest appearance: (DK series)
(Mario series)

Donkey and Diddy have frequently appeared in Mario spinoff, but other DK characters haven't appeared in the any Mario game in the last decade. Also they haven't made a big appearances since Mario Super Sluggers (2008). I don't think so they will be retained in the next Mario Baseball.
Funky Kong on the Mario Kart Tour is just a nostalgia for the Mario Kart Wii. Dixie Kong was released together.

Dixie Kong (4)
  1. Mario Superstar Baseball
  2. Mario Hoops 3-on-3
  3. Mario Super Sluggers
  4. Mario Kart Tour (Jungle Tour)
Funky Kong (3)
  1. Mario Kart Wii
  2. Mario Super Sluggers
  3. Mario Kart Tour (Jungle Tour)
Tiny Kong (1)
  1. Mario Super Sluggers
Klap Trap (3)
  1. Mario Power Tennis
  2. Mario Superstar Baseball
  3. Mario Party 7
Kritter (4)
  1. Mario Power Tennis
  2. Super Mario Strikers
  3. Mario Strikers Charged
  4. Mario Super Sluggers
King K. Rool (1)
  1. Mario Super Sluggers

Last edited:
You know, that's entirely a circular argument.

Donkey Kong characters can't appear in a Mario game if they haven't appeared in a Mario game beforehand.

Like...that makes no sense. Prior to Diddy's introduction in Toadstool Tour, he too was a "DK exclusive character".

1652219705032.png

Also, DK is pretty much under the Mario brand. Characters such as Dixie Kong and Diddy Kong when they get merch are sold under the "Mario" brand label. The Tikis from Donkey Kong Country Returns make an appearance in DK Jungle in Mario Kart 7, Swanky Kong is seen in a board in Mario Superstar Baseball, etc. While it's not as connected to Mario as say Yoshi is, I'd say the connection between Mario and DK is as close as WarioWare and Mario, they're their own IP and series, but they're under the broader label of the huge, encompassing Mario brand.

Plus DKWiki got merged to MarioWiki because let's face it, it wasn't getting decent traffic on its own anyway and MarioWiki already mostly covered what it sought to cover. Fandom is just a wiki farm that exists independently, people can operate fandom wikis without any additional cost so there's no cost to keeping stuff such as redundant fandom Mario Wikis up.

You know, those appearances you listed as "guests" are actually more in favor of Kong-related subjects being inline with MarioWiki's coverage than say, a Wario character who hasn't appeared in a Mario game at all (such as Orbulon).

Despite Donkey and Diddy are included in the Mario spinoff, no new Donkey Kong games are actively coming out. The latest work was 8 years ago. (Today marks 3000 days since February 21, 2014)
The affiliate with Paon was ended in near 2009.

Last edited:
Mario and DK as franchises are intrinsically linked since their debut.

So obviously their characters are going to cross over. Heck Mario himself has cameoed in a couple of DK games over the years.

That thing doesn't look official.

It doesn't even have a statutory brand seal or copyright notice. Not to mention the toy's quality is not... exceptional.
It's real, it's from the third series out of four of figurines made by PopCo several years back.

That thing doesn't look official.

It doesn't even have a statutory brand seal or copyright notice. Not to mention the toy's quality is not... exceptional.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Copyright and legal information is on the cardback.

That's kind of...where toy packaging puts that kind of stuff (if not on the bottom if it's a boxed toy), you know?

no need to be smug about it. i seldom buy any toys, and i typically don't inspect their package for the legal info to know its general location.

i could not find a back view of this particular toy's package, which you provided, and i cunningly invited users to provide evidence of the toy's authenticity.

Last edited:
DK, Yoshi, Luigi, and Wario all started with Mario. So even though they branch off to their own series, the origins remain.

Their roots are in the same game. DK has consistently appeared in Mario media over the years. His own games do mostly feature a separate cast but they have appeared alongside Mario before, and trying to make them a separate universe in the same vein as Zelda, Metroid etc just doesn't work due to how intertwined their roots are. Heck I was surprised when I first played Smash and saw it categorized them separately. Yoshi and Wario are also "separate franchises" in Smash yet can't really be separated from the Marioverse due to being born out of the Mario series and still regularly appearing in Mario games. I think it's dumb that as little DK and Wario elements appear in Mario games as they do. To me, there's no good reason not to invite the DK crew, K. Rool, the WarioWare crew, etc into Mario's friendly competitions, they do have solid connections to characters that appear in them already.

I know their root is same, Donkey Kong (1981).
Wario and Yoshi have appeared at least once in the Mario mainline game. While Donkey Kong never physically appeared in Super Mario series.
Also other Nintendo characters have cameoed in Mario games.

Pauline belongs to an ambiguous universe, so she has never appeared in a game except where Mario and Donkey Kong are intertwined. After the release of Super Mario Odyssey (2017), she fully entered into Mario universe. Since then, she has also appeared in spinoff.

F7C31653-A373-4862-9508-CB75DF621BDA.jpeg

If Donkey Kong's "never physically appeared" in the Super Mario series, then what's this then?

View attachment 26224
If Donkey Kong's "never physically appeared" in the Super Mario series, then what's this then?

In Super Mario Maker, other Nintendo characters do together, such as Link and Samus.
Donkey Kong never appeared as a full body appearance in any Mario mainline. (does not counting 8-bit graphic cameo)

Like, Pauline is equal parts "Donkey Kong" and "Mario"

Yes. For this reason, she affiliated to Donkey Kong universe until SSB4.

Last edited:
Ah yes the "donkey kong universe"

Thats definitely a thing that exists. Absolutely. Without a doubt.

*cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back