Who did you side more with at the Oscars, Will Smith or Chris Rock?

See this thread's title

• Will Smith

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Chris Rock

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Hard to say/Prefer not to say

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Nate Jacobs

WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
The Shadow Prince
Self-explanatory. Sure it's a long time ago now but it is still a moment that will be iconic forever. Personally I felt like Chris Rock's joke was a bit too offensive but how Will Smith acted was much more inappropriate, but would like to hear others' thoughts.

talk shit, get hit

chris rock deserved to get slapped and he's lucky will smith didn't do more

talk shit, get hit

chris rock deserved to get slapped and he's lucky will smith didn't do more
LMAO, Will Smith is lucky Chris Rock didn't do more by suing his butt off. I'm not saying Chris Rock's joke was super appropriate but violence was not the answer here.

Yeah nah it actually was and I'm saying this as someone who abhors violence.

Sometimes the only language dipshits like Chris Rock understand is a slap.

Reactions: zel
The 'joke' was that Jada Pinkett Smith would be starring in the film GI Jane 2.

Of course the big issue with this 'joke' is that Jada Pinkett Smith hasn't shaved her head as part of some fashion choice or whatever, she shaved her head because she has alopecia areata, an autoimmune disease causing hair loss in some or all parts of your body. So even if he didn't know it, Chris Rock was making a joke about someone with a medical condition who literally has no choice about her hair loss.

And you know what, even if Rock didn't know that Pinkett Smith had alopecia areata (which I believe he has said he didn't), that's still no excuse because Chris Rock literally produced, co-wrote, and fucking narrated an entire goddamn documentary literally about black women and the stigmas and challenges they face because of their hair and how they choose to style it, so you'd think he'd know not to crack a shitty 'joke' about a black woman's hair (or lack thereof).

Okay, now that I know that, it's a LOT ruder.

Also, why make joke about black woman hair, after making whole documentary about it?

Now that I know everything, it's DEFINITELY slap-worthy.

Chris Rock's joke was juvenile, yes, but he didn't mean any lasting offense. I just think Will Smith wanted to "prove himself" to Jada (Will was laughing until he saw Jada's reaction) and honestly, he's lucky that Chris chose not to file charges.

EDIT: Spelling Error

Last edited:
Idk if it's just me having trouble seeing fast motion, is it just me or did Will just slap Chris's shoulder?
It's not like Chris doubled down in pain, he looked mostly just surprised.

Will Smith got banned from attending the Oscars or any other Academy-related events for ten years.

Completely unrelated, but here's an IMDb list of the most famous people in Hollywood who signed the petition in support of the release of Roman Polanski after his arrest in Zürich in 2009. Polanski, if you're unaware, has been a fugitive from justice since 1978 when he fled the United States the day before he was due to be sentenced for statutory rape of a minor. He has mostly been living in France since then, a country which does not extradite its own citizens (did I mention that Polanski was born in Paris and has French citizenship?). While Polanski was expelled from the Academy in May 2018, over 40 years after he fled the US and became a fugitive, he has not been banned from attending the Oscars (as much as that means anything considering that he'd probably be arrested as soon as he steps foot in the United States).

Anyways yeah the above paragraph was completely unrelated and not at all a rant about how the Academy will protect rapists, pedophiles, and sexual abusers for decades and decades and yet they decide to make an example of Will Smith for a measly slap.

Anyways yeah the above paragraph was completely unrelated and not at all a rant about how the Academy will protect rapists, pedophiles, and sexual abusers for decades and decades and yet they decide to make an example of Will Smith for a measly slap.

His ban is doubly confusing since that incident was the entire reason most people actually paid some attention to the Oscars. In fact, it was notable enough to make everyone briefly turn their heads away from a fucking on-going war.

It's pretty sad I don't follow any of this and have no idea who's who but I am somehow a little more aware of the slap than the abuses going on in that industry. The latter part is vastly more important to know.

a little comforting to know that the movie industry is as rotten to the core like the game industry. just burn it down.

Will Smith is one of the most famous black actors, the entire World's eyes are on him at all the time, he can never make any mistakes or suddenly he's a bad influence, anyone would break under that pressure.

Anyways, I have multiple reasons to not like the academy, all I learned from this is that I hate them more and I hope Will's friends in the industry speak up for him, you know the academy isn't going to give a shit, they did this to look good, not that they wanted to do anything good, when is the last time you heard a PR person for a big business tell those on top to admit their faults and work on doing better? Never? Hmm, well I wonder why

Let's not forget throughout all this that Chris Rock still hasn't apologized for making a joke about a black woman's hair when, as I said earlier in this thread, he should very well know better.

So many people are treating this as if Rock is the victim when he was the one who made the 'joke' and it's Pinkett Smith who's the real victim here.

I'm interested in Jada's thoughts on the whole situation, considering this was all over a joke made about her. What did she think of the joke? Did she think it was a good idea for Will to slap Chris over it? etc. She's pretty key to all of this so it's a bit weird to me that she goes almost entirely ignored in discussions about it, except to explain what the joke was about.

I don't really side with anyone here. Chris Rock's joke was a pretty bad one, but I don't think it was worth actually assualting him over. It definitely didn't seem like it was intended in any malicious way, just that it was poorly thought out. Again, I don't think Will's response was the best choice, but while I think that, I do understand why he did it. Overall, I'd say both people kind of did a wrong thing, but also it's also understandable and expainable, so I wouldn't say either of them are actually in the wrong here. It would probably be best if they both made amends or whatever.

Honestly the most important part of this was the slap, which was funny and interesting. Who cares who was right here, Will Smith slapped someone! At the Oscars! That's enternaining enough by itself.

fuck the academy

Back