Unpopular Animal Crossing opinions?

Emo Furcorn

It’s La-ing time!
Pronouns
She/Her
I prefer islands that you can walk in rather than a bob-and-weave pathways island that only look good from one angle.
I love Raymond/Sasha/Shino. There's nothing wrong with liking "Popular villagers."
I don't understand why people like Brewster.
Gyroids are pretty pointless, they're just a novelty.
Species like monkeys and gorillas aren't bad, they just need slightly better designs

i love gloria and jambette
sWB2ZwN.png
CVcDWMv.png

I prefer islands that you can walk in rather than a bob-and-weave pathways island that only look good from one angle.
I love Raymond/Sasha/Shino. There's nothing wrong with liking "Popular villagers."
I don't understand why people like Brewster.
Species like monkeys and gorillas aren't bad, they just need slightly better designs
I agree with everything except the Brewster one

Villagers have the personality of cardboard and the furniture is typically the most interesting part of Animal Crossing.

uh, that does not make it an unpopular opinion to like the popular villagers...?

anyway uh animal crossing is a type of game i can legit enjoy for a month but then the chores you do start grating on you and you eventually just cold turkey it. i really wish there was a sandbox mode available, just decorate rooms and houses to your complete liking.

i havent played the animaled crossings but ive never cared for only getting to play a human they should let me play as an octopus
(Idk if thats unpopular naturally

Oh hell yeah. It's ANIMAL Crossing not "human animal featuring other animals". I'm hoping one day they expand customization to include playing as other species.

yeah i dont think itd even be that hard to do? you can make a bunch of templates for the eyes/mouths and reuse it across every animal where possible, and then add some other stuff depending on the species if necessary
also they should add bug villagers and let me play as them. though there might be an issue from the fact that bug catching is big in the games i think

though there might be an issue from the fact that bug catching is big in the games i think
it is, but the thing is you can also fish out octopuses, turtles, and frogs despite those two creatures having villager counterparts

Reactions: zel
I can't stand Isabelle. She just sits her ass in Town Hall and rots for much of the game, at the very least you can actually interact with other villagers.

Isabelle's good but she definitely could have had more honestly
Like I don't love her or hate her, but if she had like more to do she'd be pretty good
1647726508110.png

Glad Digby was saved from New Leaf purgatory but I still wish he'd make a more Isabelle level come back some day because I think both of them would benefit greatly if they both had more screentime together

Unpopular opinion?
Well, I'm not too deep into the fandom but I liked New Leaf's animal descriptions more than Blathers boring... well, blathering, his blathering is super uninteresting I much prefer learning some neat trivia about some real life animals I caught in the game
I think that's unpopular

Last edited:
i love gloria and jambette
sWB2ZwN.png
CVcDWMv.png
Love Gloria. Have jambette on my island. Only reason I want her to move is she doesn't fit my theme. No hate.

Tom Nook is a downright saint compared to the debt dealers in real life, such as student loan debt.
This RIGHT HERE!

it is, but the thing is you can also fish out octopuses, turtles, and frogs despite those two creatures having villager counterparts

Kapp'n is a kappa, which is kind of a turtle spirit thing.

uh, that does not make it an unpopular opinion to like the popular villagers...?

anyway uh animal crossing is a type of game i can legit enjoy for a month but then the chores you do start grating on you and you eventually just cold turkey it. i really wish there was a sandbox mode available, just decorate rooms and houses to your complete liking.
On the Animal Crossing Subreddit, people seem to get really annoyed whenever they see a "popular villager." (Also, I love the chores aspect of the game.) closest thing you can get to decorating sandbox is the DLC.

Isabelle stole Tom Nook's thunder and I hate it.

I strongly dislike KK Slider's voice in music.

I mean, if you like a popular villagers then it's hardly an unpopular opinion. Would the movement to like "ugly" villagers pique your interest? It's pretty neat seeing people rally in favor of villagers that are normally tossed aside and dismissed and finding their own love for them.

I mean, you could argue that of any furniture pieces within Animal Crossing. But unlike a lot of those, gyroids actually have really interesting cultural ties.

Specifically, they're inspired by Japanese clay figures called haniwa which were used in rituals for the deceased to be able to help them pass on into the afterlife. This inspiration isn't even subtle; their price offered is 828. 八二八... 八 is ha-chi, 二 is ni, and は (ha), the first hiragana that makes up 八 (はち) can also be pronounced wa. So... basically, their price is a pun.

In addition to that, they have some weird lore going on with them. There's Lloid, of course, who's a sentient gyroid who can help you build new projects on your island/village. And then there's Dr. Shrunk saying he didn't put the gyroids in Club LOL, and villagers remarking ever so often that gyroids have various personality traits... Almost like they're alive... Spoooooky.

Sometimes you just have things like that. There's no answer to any of it, not really, but it can raise the intrigue, and people have used similar ideas in Dream Towns to create their own stories. Here's a remade version of a classic one for you to enjoy.

Unpopular opinion?
Well, I'm not too deep into the fandom but I liked New Leaf's animal descriptions more than Blathers boring... well, blathering, his blathering is super uninteresting I much prefer learning some neat trivia about some real life animals I caught in the game
I think that's unpopular

You may be misremembering New Leaf, because Blathers doesn't give trivia about the animals in that game; he just makes generic comments like this:

babyfeathers.jpeg

That was actually why people were so sad about the removal of his blathering, because his blathering is the animal facts. Unless you're referring to the descriptions on the plaques? I suppose it would be nice to have those little descriptions back, but I liked the personal touch that Blathers would add to his comments about the animals/skeletons/etc. when giving the facts to you verbally. In other games outside of New Leaf, this was usually specifically about the thing that you gave to him, in regard both to his feelings about it (especially funny in the case of bugs and fish in particular, since he obviously likes making meals with fish and talks about that extensively, along with his phobia of bugs) as well as a random fact that he knows about them. In New Leaf specifically, it's just a generic comment that has nothing to do with the individual thing you provided him with.

By all means, if you like the expedited process of giving these things to him, you mustn't be alone on that since that's probably why it was like that in New Leaf in the first place. But personally, I like New Horizons' approach of letting his rambling be optional, so you can expedite the process if you would like to but you could also get the commentary that he used to give in earlier games.

Blathers is my absolute favorite NPC, so I always look forward to his little tangents. Even though there's a multi-donation feature, I always donate one at a time just to see what comments he makes on them individually.

Villagers have the personality of cardboard and the furniture is typically the most interesting part of Animal Crossing.

I find that they used to have more personality, but someone on the writing team must think that the cranky villagers were too mean, because they have been toned down significantly. (They used to call you some... Rather creative insults. And sometimes they'd get pissed off at you if you talked to them more than five times?) In New Horizons in particular their dialogue leans in a more quirky/silly direction than it used to, where their personalities used to be more obvious. Another thing is that it seems like villagers never talk to each other anymore...? Shame, I liked them gossiping about each other before and sometimes having to intervene in their conversations.

Tom Nook is a downright saint compared to the debt dealers in real life, such as student loan debt.

I actually think this opinion isn't all that unpopular, since it's gained a lot of traction in social media, especially lately. Tom Nook defense videos (as well as videos exploring his history with Redd, which are actually very interesting as they delve into Japanese mythology to describe their relationship and the parallels between them) are pretty much everywhere these days.

I mean, if you like a popular villagers then it's hardly an unpopular opinion. Would the movement to like "ugly" villagers pique your interest? It's pretty neat seeing people rally in favor of villagers that are normally tossed aside and dismissed and finding their own love for them.

I mean, you could argue that of any furniture pieces within Animal Crossing. But unlike a lot of those, gyroids actually have really interesting cultural ties.

Specifically, they're inspired by Japanese clay figures called haniwa which were used in rituals for the deceased to be able to help them pass on into the afterlife. This inspiration isn't even subtle; their price offered is 828. 八二八... 八 is ha-chi, 二 is ni, and は (ha), the first hiragana that makes up 八 (はち) can also be pronounced wa. So... basically, their price is a pun.

In addition to that, they have some weird lore going on with them. There's Lloid, of course, who's a sentient gyroid who can help you build new projects on your island/village. And then there's Dr. Shrunk saying he didn't put the gyroids in Club LOL, and villagers remarking ever so often that gyroids have various personality traits... Almost like they're alive... Spoooooky.

Sometimes you just have things like that. There's no answer to any of it, not really, but it can raise the intrigue, and people have used similar ideas in Dream Towns to create their own stories. Here's a remade version of a classic one for you to enjoy.

You may be misremembering New Leaf, because Blathers doesn't give trivia about the animals in that game; he just makes generic comments like this:

View attachment 24967

That was actually why people were so sad about the removal of his blathering, because his blathering is the animal facts. Unless you're referring to the descriptions on the plaques? I suppose it would be nice to have those little descriptions back, but I liked the personal touch that Blathers would add to his comments about the animals/skeletons/etc. when giving the facts to you verbally. In other games outside of New Leaf, this was usually specifically about the thing that you gave to him, in regard both to his feelings about it (especially funny in the case of bugs and fish in particular, since he obviously likes making meals with fish and talks about that extensively, along with his phobia of bugs) as well as a random fact that he knows about them. In New Leaf specifically, it's just a generic comment that has nothing to do with the individual thing you provided him with.

By all means, if you like the expedited process of giving these things to him, you mustn't be alone on that since that's probably why it was like that in New Leaf in the first place. But personally, I like New Horizons' approach of letting his rambling be optional, so you can expedite the process if you would like to but you could also get the commentary that he used to give in earlier games.

Blathers is my absolute favorite NPC, so I always look forward to his little tangents. Even though there's a multi-donation feature, I always donate one at a time just to see what comments he makes on them individually.

I find that they used to have more personality, but someone on the writing team must think that the cranky villagers were too mean, because they have been toned down significantly. (They used to call you some... Rather creative insults. And sometimes they'd get pissed off at you if you talked to them more than five times?) In New Horizons in particular their dialogue leans in a more quirky/silly direction than it used to, where their personalities used to be more obvious. Another thing is that it seems like villagers never talk to each other anymore...? Shame, I liked them gossiping about each other before and sometimes having to intervene in their conversations.

I actually think this opinion isn't all that unpopular, since it's gained a lot of traction in social media, especially lately. Tom Nook defense videos (as well as videos exploring his history with Redd, which are actually very interesting as they delve into Japanese mythology to describe their relationship and the parallels between them) are pretty much everywhere these days.
Yes, I was talking about the plaques
I guess another unpopular opinion of mine is I don't like Blathers lol

Yes, I was talking about the plaques
I guess another unpopular opinion of mine is I don't like Blathers lol

Personally, I can definitely see other people as having found him annoying if they sought to change him in New Leaf. Though Blathers doesn't really get a lot of talk about him in the first place, so it's hard to say. Must've been enough of a problem in Japan, though.

I find that they used to have more personality, but someone on the writing team must think that the cranky villagers were too mean, because they have been toned down significantly. (They used to call you some... Rather creative insults. And sometimes they'd get pissed off at you if you talked to them more than five times?)
They definitely toned it down. I'd speculate for similar reasons they removed Mr. Resetting for upsetting kids. I found the meaner villagers not much of a step up from the newer ones. They were still bland, but now insulting. It's the personality system. You play long enough you're bound to have repetitive dialogue and see dialogue shared by your favorite and then by a villager you don't like.

Yeah the thing about villagers, they all fit identical personality archetypes. Once you've interacted with one, you've interacted with them all and while that can apply to practically any game, you sooner start seeing repetitive dialogues and repetitive voices because there is only like 8 archetypes and it's very immersion breaking to see someone like Cube have the same voice and personality as Joey, except they have decorated their homes differently. I do understand that it's a heavy undertaking to generate unique personalities and designs for 413 villagers, but that amount of villagers gives something false depth to your neighbors and you quickly get tired of it despite that the villagers literally just look pretty and that's it.

I've cared so little about them in New Horizons that I walled all of their homes up with iron bars so I never have to interact with them and it's far more entertaining seeing them depressingly trapped in the title screen of the game surrounded by trash cans and outdoor generators when I boot it up than interacting with them.

That makes it even more hilarious considering that I situate them in front of a TV and have them face the TV to make it look like they're watching TV. I don't even activate them to make it look like they're intently focused on the programming.

Also those Freakoids, I had fun putting them next to vanities. It makes it look like they're screaming at their reflections.

I'm not sure if this is a common complaint but acquiring furniture can get tedious sometimes. Even with the last upgrade, the rotation doesn't happen fast enough.

Also there has to be more services if they're not going to do away with store hours. Unless you deliberately don't sync with the real time, the game doesn't really have a schedule that'll work for everyone. I'd like to play at night, but I just can't because important services aren't available for no reason. Maybe some people like the idea of a game where you just discouraged from playing any more after you do set chores or whatever, but it's not for me I guess. I know New Horizons tried to alleviate it, as well as New Leaf introducing ordinances, but they're far from adequate.

the hha can fuck off if i want my home to look like a trash dump i will make it look like a trash dump

They definitely toned it down. I'd speculate for similar reasons they removed Mr. Resetting for upsetting kids. I found the meaner villagers not much of a step up from the newer ones. They were still bland, but now insulting. It's the personality system. You play long enough you're bound to have repetitive dialogue and see dialogue shared by your favorite and then by a villager you don't like.

Yeah the thing about villagers, they all fit identical personality archetypes. Once you've interacted with one, you've interacted with them all and while that can apply to practically any game, you sooner start seeing repetitive dialogues and repetitive voices because there is only like 8 archetypes and it's very immersion breaking to see someone like Cube have the same voice and personality as Joey, except they have decorated their homes differently. I do understand that it's a heavy undertaking to generate unique personalities and designs for 413 villagers, but that amount of villagers gives something false depth to your neighbors and you quickly get tired of it despite that the villagers literally just look pretty and that's it.

Yeah, I can see where you're both coming from on this. Obviously it'd be a quite an ask to come up with completely unique dialogue for 413 villagers, but maybe that's actually illustrating a problem. The NPC villagers (the ones that you don't get moving in, necessarily) all stand out a lot more, so maybe it would have benefited the lasting appeal of Animal Crossing to limit the scope of residents more to be able to flesh them out as individuals. Rather than having such a large pool of options to draw from, maybe... say, 100 unique villagers? Each with their own character plotlines and such that you can influence that they can cycle through? Of course, eventually you'll get repetitiveness anyway, that's an unavoidable feature of being a sandbox, but it'd add some replay value, I think. And make characters stand out more for reasons beyond their designs.

If they insist on keeping the personality system, though, they could probably introduce more personality types. Part of the limitation is 413 villagers in... like, what, six personality types? If they had more, there'd at least be more to see.

That makes it even more hilarious considering that I situate them in front of a TV and have them face the TV to make it look like they're watching TV. I don't even activate them to make it look like they're intently focused on the programming.

Also those Freakoids, I had fun putting them next to vanities. It makes it look like they're screaming at their reflections.

That's kind of adorable, I won't lie.

I'm not sure if this is a common complaint but acquiring furniture can get tedious sometimes. Even with the last upgrade, the rotation doesn't happen fast enough.

Oh 100% agreed. On a similar subject, I really dislike the resource management system that they introduced in New Horizons. I know some people like it because they like the apparent... challenge it adds? But I don't know. Outside of a survival game (of which Animal Crossing is not) resource management like that doesn't add any tension or complexity, it just makes it so I can't fit as much within my pockets because I have to keep the materials for extra tools at all times. Sometimes more features isn't really a good thing, especially if they're limiting to the player, something that New Horizons was explicit about trying to remove in terraforming.

I also have never been the biggest fan of limited time content. I'm fine with content that is extra special that you have to work harder to get, but the limited time ones just strike me as unfair to me, because they require you a) knowing about the game at the time and b) having access to it at that time. Limited edition stuff of any sort is just frustrating, especially when Nintendo used to come down on you changing the time of the game and would punish time travelers. Like what are they supposed to do?

Also there has to be more services if they're not going to do away with store hours. Unless you deliberately don't sync with the real time, the game doesn't really have a schedule that'll work for everyone. I'd like to play at night, but I just can't because important services aren't available for no reason. Maybe some people like the idea of a game where you just discouraged from playing any more after you do set chores or whatever, but it's not for me I guess. I know New Horizons tried to alleviate it, as well as New Leaf introducing ordinances, but they're far from adequate.

Agreed with this too. We literally have a cell phone in New Horizons, why can't we use that to order things (or sell things) when the stores are closed? At least the museum is always open.

Back