The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

But there is already the oscar winning live action adaption:

03221124-3CD1-43A1-996C-722A89B3D320.jpeg

i dont think itll be like. cringy, since nintendo is closely overlooking it. but you can still very well expect it to be real bland !!!

I'm starting to think it'll be fun, silly but not over the top, lighthearted action-packed adventure with camaraderie as a tone. The animation will be very good. The story will start with the arcade games, which won't last long, because the plot will be of the super mario games. There'll always be something happening to keep every second entertaining.
Yeah I just got done watching The Mitchells Vs The Machines, and, Vivo. They've set these expectations for me.
What am I really curious to see, is if they try to put character development sub-plots in.

Last edited:
I suspect Sonic The Movie (2020) will be used as an inspiration on how to make a successful adaptation.

Illumination & creators of Teen Titans Go, this is interesting.
In opposition of the hate both companies receive, my hopes are up. It's in my humble opinion, that Illumination actually does produce excellent childrens movies, if we focus our attention away from the Minions for a moment, we can see they are versatile in content. And that I must credit TTG creators on that they are really good at researching and knowing the franchises they work on, or at least I expect them to do so with Mario as they did with DC, and that the movie being a one-off, gives them a lot more time to make quality content, unlike their show, which the cable network forced them to pump out an episode on the weekly.
Screenshot 2021-08-25 1.08.48 PM.png

Jack Black as Bowser, Keegan Michael-Key (of Key & Peele fame) as Toad, Anna Taylor-Joy (Queen's Gambit) as Peach...

...That's a cast if I've ever seen one.

Also, both Foreman Spike and Cranky Kong are confirmed to appear.

Martinet will guest star as the VA of a few yet-to-be-revealed characters.

Regardless, I don't see what's inherently wrong with the above choices, personally. I think it's healthy diversification. We'll still have to wait and see just how good of a job they perform as these characters, though.

This list doesn't look promising…

Where's Sam Kelly, Kenny James, and the rest of the Mario voices we know and love?!

I thought Nintendo had creative control over this movie, not the backseat. This is deja vu for the original Mario Movie…no good voice actors. I don't care how good Jack Black did with Dreamwork's Kung Fu Panda, or Keegan Micheal Key did ok with SNL, this is just wrong!!

After seeing all of the involved voice actors today, we'll all have to hope that the movie does well when it releases before the end of 2022.

Can we try at least be a little bit hopeful for the movie?

Who knows, it could be amazing.

Yeah, but it turned out good, didn't it? (the Sonic movie)

I enjoyed it, and Illumination's made some good stuff.

Back