Anyone else not a big fan of Luigi's Mansion 1? (3DS version)

Whittle

super FUCKING mario...............
I thought by my second playthrough I'd appreciate this game more, but it's actually made me like it less. It's not a bad game, I like the atmosphere a lot (And the fact that it's a Luigi game), but I find playing it to be really tedious.

The main thing I hate about it are the Boos. They're awful padding to a game that's still super short. Some of them have health in the hundreds, and they travel between rooms so quickly that I'm constantly running back and forth, doing maybe 50-70 damage before they get away. And the fact that the game requires you get all 50 is so irritating. On my first playthrough, I had missed literally 1 Boo, and searched the entire mansion 3 times before I found it. It's not like I missed a room or anything, the Boo literally appeared in a room I had previously searched.

This isn't as big of a deal, but I also dislike how the game pauses whenever you get one, and E Gadd says the same thing each time before you can continue playing. It's not a big deal at first, but consider that this happens 50 times, sometimes after long sequences where the Boos are running between rooms. Ugh.

I also think the controls are clunky, but I've heard that's just the 3DS version, and that the GC one is better.

Like I said tho, it's not a bad game. I mean, I wouldn't be replaying it if I thought it was trash. I just don't think it holds up that well. Especially compared to Luigi's Mansion 3, that game is awesome.

Yeah, I've heard the 3DS version isn't great, but it's the only way I've played it.

I agree with the clunky controls. It was definitely made with two sticks in mind. Maybe that's why it's the only one I've never beat.

I'm not a huge fan of the art style in this version. I think it's much less unique than the original, and I think the 3DS version of the game just plain looks worse.

I think the boos are pretty neat. I like finding them, but it's really annoying when they have lots of health and keep switching rooms.

If I think of more to say, I'll edit it in.

Last edited:
I only played it for a bit and haven't formed an opinion on it yet (because my parents threw away my 3DS)

i don't get why parents would throw away devices like that when they could sell it for easy money

but i hate it when parents decide for you that you don't like playing with your stuff any more.

@Redshift My parents threw away my 3DS for figuring out how to get on its internet browser (my dad literally saying what the secret question was) and my Wii U just for having an Instagram account. Neither reasons are great. While neither reasons were that they decided I didn't like playing with them, that doesn't change how overprotective and not great they are about many freedoms I want to have and how broken culture's attitude of "parents can't be immature" in general are.

Who in their right mind does that?!
My parents aren't in their right mind when it comes to backing off on a lot of things, mainly in terms of being overprotective as well as siding with people who were rude to me, that's why they did it

@Redshift My parents threw away my 3DS for figuring out how to get on its internet browser (my dad literally saying what the secret question was) and my Wii U just for having an Instagram account. Neither reasons are great. While neither reasons were that they decided I didn't like playing with them, that doesn't change how overprotective and not great they are about many freedoms I want to have and how broken culture's attitude of "parents can't be immature" in general are.

that's terrible that a perfectly good electronic system ends up getting wasted because of a few dumb and ignorant parents

It disgusts me even more viscerally they threw away a hundred dollar console on top of your handheld device because of that.

If you don't want your kid to have access to a device, fine. Then either SELL it or GIVE IT AWAY to someone who wants one.

It disgusts me even more viscerally they threw away a hundred dollar console on top of your handheld device because of that.

If you don't want your kid to have access to a device, fine. Then either SELL it or GIVE IT AWAY to someone who wants one.
Well to be actually factually clear since I slightly missaid it they gave it away to some charity, but that doesn't change that the Wii U wasn't getting younger with a broken as *bleep* disc-reader so there was virtually no use for it except some Virtual Console games, even then the Wii U was near its last days so whoever got it would only have some time to play those games before the Wii U broke forever. But my parents didn't care.

Sorry for miswording that, I still wouldn't care if my parents gave it to someone clearly wanting it instead of it being just an excuse to vent being immature again

The last thing that makes it worse is that my parents still won't let me buy another New 3DS (that's what's stupid is that my 3DS was one of the better ones, since I could play SNES games on my New 3DS), even if I bought it entirely with my own money where then they'd have to spend literally nothing on it.

Moving on, while I haven't formed an opinion on Luigi's Mansion 3DS, I still felt like Dark Moon was really good so LM 3DS has to have some pretty positive traits to top it out.

they're 18 though. at that age parents should not have THIS kind of agency over their progeny.

anyway, i don't have anything to say about the initial topic since i haven't played the game yet :p i've heard, though, that the gc version is superior. i've seen a couple gameplay comparisons and the graphics looked worse on the 3ds, even discounting the lower resolution. don't know about the controls.

they're 18 though. at that age parents should not have THIS kind of agency over their progeny.
This, my parents deleted my email account a year and a half even after me having told them I had the account.

Anyway, the only 3DS game I remember not being too big on was Mario Party: Island Tour when it came out, although I can see later on looking back that there are at least a few good things about it. It just wasn't what it should have been considering I was one of the very few people more hyped for it than A Link Between Worlds before it came out.

Oh yeah, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity although that's not a Mario game because of its lame bad story.

Never tried the 3DS version but the gamecube one is good

I thought by my second playthrough I'd appreciate this game more, but it's actually made me like it less. It's not a bad game, I like the atmosphere a lot (And the fact that it's a Luigi game), but I find playing it to be really tedious.

The main thing I hate about it are the Boos. They're awful padding to a game that's still super short. Some of them have health in the hundreds, and they travel between rooms so quickly that I'm constantly running back and forth, doing maybe 50-70 damage before they get away. And the fact that the game requires you get all 50 is so irritating. On my first playthrough, I had missed literally 1 Boo, and searched the entire mansion 3 times before I found it. It's not like I missed a room or anything, the Boo literally appeared in a room I had previously searched.

This isn't as big of a deal, but I also dislike how the game pauses whenever you get one, and E Gadd says the same thing each time before you can continue playing. It's not a big deal at first, but consider that this happens 50 times, sometimes after long sequences where the Boos are running between rooms. Ugh.

I also think the controls are clunky, but I've heard that's just the 3DS version, and that the GC one is better.

Like I said tho, it's not a bad game. I mean, I wouldn't be replaying it if I thought it was trash. I just don't think it holds up that well. Especially compared to Luigi's Mansion 3, that game is awesome.
Thiiiis! Yes, all of my yes. Dark Moon is so much better than 1 because 1's free roaming is so fake, it's all in progression and super short. 2 owns up to its progression and makes it fun with new challenges at every turn without the annoying forced replay.

Thiiiis! Yes, all of my yes. Dark Moon is so much better than 1 because 1's free roaming is so fake, it's all in progression and super short. 2 owns up to its progression and makes it fun with new challenges at every turn without the annoying forced replay.
I actually like 2 a lot less than 1 LOL

2 does a lot of cool things, but to this day I still haven't beaten it because of the mission system. I hate getting pulled out of the mansion every time I do anything, it's a huge pace breaker for me. Super glad they got rid of it in 3.

2 does a lot of cool things, but to this day I still haven't beaten it because of the mission system. I hate getting pulled out of the mansion every time I do anything, it's a huge pace breaker for me. Super glad they got rid of it in 3.
I agree to a certain extent but Dark Moon is still really fun for me and it's worth being pulled out of a level all the time imo.

Back