Can I get some opinions on this?

Mags

Me and my pencil
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Magolor04726
Before buying Mario+ Rabbids Kingdom Battle, I looked up a few reviews of the game, and one of them said it only lasted 20-30 hours. I thought that was an exaggeration considering they probably didn't factor in the challenges and DLC.

I was wrong.

I've cleared every level in both modes, I've opened all the chests in DK and am missing less than a dozen on the main mode, I've completed all the regular challenges but not the DLC or Ultimates (I mean, I've cleared a few, but not all) and so on and so forth.

Now I'm thinking about what I could potentially get next and I'm considering trying the Pokémon series. However, my only experience with the series is through Smash and my brother watching the TV show.

So, opinions on Pokémon and what game I should get from said series?

(BTW, I have a 3DS, a Switch, a Wii, a Wii U, and an emulator for 64 and Gamecube)

Last edited:
If you're looking at the main series, I'd suggest Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire based on the consoles you have. All of the 3DS games are decent, not as good as Gen 5 and earlier in my opinion (take this with a grain of salt since I haven't actually played anything earlier than Black 2), but since you're a first timer it shouldn't be an issue.

For me Pokemon Sun and Moon 1 are the two best games because of their original Pokémon and good overworld with no part of the Alola region feeling generic.

Don't forget that 3DS has backward compatibility with DS games so those are options too.

I'm not really a big Pokemon fan these days, but I've played games from most gens through to the 3DS titles in either original or remake format so I at least have some level of experience. I think ultimately it probably doesn't matter a whole lot which game you start with, since they're all fairly standalone. That being said, my first instinct would be to say HeartGold/SoulSilver for the DS. They're remakes of the second generation of games, so they're relatively simple as games to start with, which means they aren't bogged down with 20 different side modes and extra features to confuse you (not to say that these are all bad things! But it might be a little much to start with), and as a starting entry it's fairly close to a "vanilla" Pokemon experience in terms of gameplay and story. It also has a pretty sizable post-game, from what I've heard. so it should keep you going for a while.

After that, if you liked it and want more (or if you just can't find a copy of HG/SS, since they're only at retail and not on any eShop), you can look at some other entries. Again, doesn't really matter which ones or what order you do. I liked Pokemon Sun/Moon because of some of the ways it freshened up the formula, world and gameplay while still being fairly simple, and Black/White 2 (and presumably 1?) was fun enough and had those aforementioned 20 side modes which are enjoyable when you actually know what you're getting into and are used to the normal flow of how a Pokemon game should be. Also, I'd recommend checking out Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky at some point, which is a spinoff with a different gameplay style and world but is quite fun and has a good storyline (it's also the only Pokemon game that I was engaged with enough to actually finish it...)

You're in the perfect predicament to enjoy any of them. Earlier gens didn't spoil the newer ones for you.

Back