Should Christian Whitehead and/or Andrew Spinks (Redigit) remaster and enhance the classic 2D Super Mario titles in HD with improvements?

Should they?

• Yes, they should.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Only Andrew Spinks (Redigit) should remake/remaster them. Christian Whitehead can stick to Sonic.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Nope, never. Only Nintendo should make them without either of their help even though they're good.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I would like a new sprite based game made from them, made for Nintendo.

• No. I want a new sprite game made by Nintendo themselves, not through anyone else for Nintendo.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No. I would like a new sprite based game made only made by Andrew Spinx, made for Nintendo.

• Total voters

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
The thread speaks for itself.

As we all know, the classic Sonic games were remastered by Christian Whitehead on mobile devices, and Whitehead is well known for making Sonic Mania, all of which use his Star/Retro Engine, while Andrew Spinks (a.k.a Redigit or Demilogic) is known for making Super Mario Bros. X and later Terraria. With both of them being experienced in making 2D sprite-based games on modern hardware, I think it's time the two team up and remake/remaster some of the classic 2D Mario games in HD, such as Super Mario Bros. 1, The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World.

I think that would be a great idea. Whitehead has done a fantastic job remastering the old Sonic games while Spinks is good with adding multiplayer in Super Mario Bros. X. Redigit would make a modern HD remaster of Super Mario Bros. 2 even better than the original NES, SNES All-Stars, and GBA Super Mario Advance versions, by adding things like multiplayer with 4 players like in New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. U/U Deluxe while retaining the enhancements of both the All-Stars and Super Mario Advance versions while also utilizing Whitehead's Star Engine to recreate the game. Super Mario Bros. 3 would be based on the SNES All-Stars version with the stuff from the GBA version like voice acting being in the game. In Super Mario World's case, the game will still look like the SNES version but with the enhancements of the GBA version Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World, such as voice acting and whatnot, including a better Peach sprite than the original SNES version. SMB1 will have the option to switch between the classic NES art style or the SNES art-style of the All-Stars versions.

What do you guys think, would you want that to happen?

No. What Whitehead does is very specific, and just because he knows very well how to tinker with 2D Sonic platformers doesn't necessarily translate nicely to Mario. Sonic and Mario are two entirely different game series that focus on two different types of physics. Sonic is much more physics based, with a heavy amount of slopes and the usage of speed to cross many types of terrain (like loops and hills, especially when curled as a ball; enemies and obstacles are also designed and placed with that in mind). Mario on the other hand is slower, precision-based platforming with a blockier level style to accommodate for it. Sonic is also much more path-based than Mario is, with levels having different "steps" of platforms to cross through, making the game's levels very replayable, while Mario games are more in a single path. Power-ups also serve entirely different purposes between games. Whitehead is also occupied with smaller-scale IP projects such as Freedom Planet 2 and has his own studio, Evening Star Studio, that would likely focus on making their own titles.

As for Redigit, he's likely a better shot at developing a remaster like that, but he's far too busy with his own game, Terraria, to even think about it and I say that's for the better. Just because he could do it doesn't mean that he likely will, especially since Terraria and his own studio. Re-Logic, is a more important project than remastering another IP he doesn't own.

To sum it up, both are indie game devs who are making their own games and projects and that's why they shouldn't work on another IP's game unless Nintendo contracted them to work on their IP but I doubt that'll ever happen considering how Nintendo looks at fan-projects like Super Mario Bros. X.

Don't get me wrong, but Super Mario Bros. 2 is longing for another great remake and Redigit can make an even better remake than what Super Mario Advance tried to do but have 4 players + online in a 2D sprite-based form kinda like Castlevania: Harmony of Despair or Super Mario Maker 2 in the case of Mario. I feel that would make a nice quality of life improvement over the original SMB2 on NES, the All-Stars remaster on SNES and SMA on GBA. We can also see improvements to Peach's speed just as with 3D World + Bowser's Fury, making her better than the older versions and especially in the item pickups where she is slow for that and not that great for most bosses except for Wart.

They don't need to be remade.

Yeah, but it would be nice for them to be redone and enhanced for modern systems with higher fidelity and resolution. Super Mario Bros. 2 can use some enhancements like 4 player co-op as a big improvement over any other version of the game which are single-player only. That would bring it up with today's Mario games which have 4 player co-op as well as online now.

sonics had mobile games for a while even
but yeah just because these guys have worked a really good sonic game doesnt mean theyll be able to successfully work on a mario game. im not suggesting any kind of mario and sonic rivalry but im just talking about the fact that these games have a lot of differences so skill from working on one wont necessarily translate to another if that makes sense. so basically exactly as blof said! im pretty sure weve talked about this before

Yeah, but it would be nice for them to be redone and enhanced for modern systems with higher fidelity and resolution. Super Mario Bros. 2 can use some enhancements like 4 player co-op as a big improvement over any other version of the game which are single-player only. That would bring it up with today's Mario games which have 4 player co-op as well as online now.

I don't really have a lot else to say except that I don't want there to be more hype over yet another version of 2D Mario as opposed to some sort of new Mario game we haven't seen before, regardless of who makes it.

In order for a remake made by an indie company to be made, one pressing question needs to be addressed to: what would a remake of an older Mario game by that developer achieves that Nintendo themselves didn't already achieve?

For Sonic's case, the mobile versions of the three original games (1, 2 and CD) are due to the persons behind them having experience with the Sonic engine, and at that time there were no mobile Sonic games, so when it's remade there's room for modern enhancements. Using that as an example, given how Nintendo themselves already put the originals in their systems in some form, namely the Virtual Console and the (Super) Nintendo Online service, it would seem redundant to have another game of that form. In terms of remake, I have a feeling that to Nintendo the Super Mario Maker series is enough of a remake (even if it's not exactly those games) since the type of elements are incorporated in them, such as 4-player multiplayer.

And there's of course if there's the mutuality of both developer and publisher interest in that indie developer undertaking a game on something as prestigious as Mario. It's not quite likely that Nintendo would be interested in this prospect unless the developer could offer something unique, which is something Nintendo tend to prefer. Take Cadence of Hyrule for example, that game is basically a Legend of Zelda version of Crypt of the Necrodancer, and it's a game that basically married the aspects of both games instead of being a remake of either.

Thank you for reading.

In order for a remake made by an indie company to be made, one pressing question needs to be addressed to: what would a remake of an older Mario game by that developer achieves that Nintendo themselves didn't already achieve?

For Sonic's case, the mobile versions of the three original games (1, 2 and CD) are due to the persons behind them having experience with the Sonic engine, and at that time there were no mobile Sonic games, so when it's remade there's room for modern enhancements. Using that as an example, given how Nintendo themselves already put the originals in their systems in some form, namely the Virtual Console and the (Super) Nintendo Online service, it would seem redundant to have another game of that form. In terms of remake, I have a feeling that to Nintendo the Super Mario Maker series is enough of a remake (even if it's not exactly those games) since the type of elements are incorporated in them, such as 4-player multiplayer.

And there's of course if there's the mutuality of both developer and publisher interest in that indie developer undertaking a game on something as prestigious as Mario. It's not quite likely that Nintendo would be interested in this prospect unless the developer could offer something unique, which is something Nintendo tend to prefer. Take Cadence of Hyrule for example, that game is basically a Legend of Zelda version of Crypt of the Necrodancer, and it's a game that basically married the aspects of both games instead of being a remake of either.
Well, those games have aged a bit and could use a bit of improvement in the resolutions and benefit from the bigger resolutions. Mario Maker 2 has multiplayer already but they can sell it at lower prices on the Switch and mobile devices. 4 players would be an added bonus in Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario World. Super Mario Bros. 2 is my ideal example of the game being remade again due to the game having no multiplayer in the original and having 4 players would have it match NSMBWii, NSMBU/U Deluxe, as well as Mario Maker 2 along with having speed boosts as in 3D World + Bowser's Fury. That would be the big benefit along with online.

I don't really see the point of remaking them again to be honest.
All Stars/SMBDeluxe/Advance already kind of fufils the remake quota for the NES games, it would be interesting to see them get the modern HD remake treatment with Mania-esque graphics and all and I wouldn't be against the idea, but I would much rather have a new game entirely with that look as opposed to All Stars 2. If we need to remake/reimagine any 2D Mario games, have it be the Super Mario Land games, those games could benefit heavily from the Link's Awakening treatment.

I don't really see the point of remaking them again to be honest.
All Stars/SMBDeluxe/Advance already kind of fufils the remake quota for the NES games, it would be interesting to see them get the modern HD remake treatment with Mania-esque graphics and all and I wouldn't be against the idea, but I would much rather have a new game entirely with that look as opposed to All Stars 2. If we need to remake/reimagine any 2D Mario games, have it be the Super Mario Land games, those games could benefit heavily from the Link's Awakening treatment.
Well, the HD Remake treatment with Sonic Mania-esque visuals is what I'm going for here, in most of these games including SMB2 which can receive better sprites (especially Peach) than the NES, SNES, and GBA versions. Super Mario World can have better-looking sprites while retaining the original game's feel and that's basically it with 4-player support. Super Mario Bros. 2 will benefit a lot from it even though it has been remastered once in All-Stars and remade on the GBA with the All-Stars remaster as a base. Stuff like 4-players on screen as well as richer looking colours that make it look a lot like a PS1/Saturn 2D game or even Sonic Mania. It would looker better than all of the older versions. Yeah, the Super Mario Land games can also be remade (and they deserve to with things like Luigi being added as well along with 4-player, Toad, and Peach) as well with the help of Christian Whitehead and Andrew Spinks (Redigit) which can make a great Mario remake, remaster, or hell even a new 2D Mario game.

They don't need to make it a compilation, they can make it be individual remakes like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, the Advance games, or hell even the Sonic remasters on mobile and consoles.

And lets be real, why not have Autosave which is the best feature they can have in addition to the improved multiplayer that was otherwise impossible on the NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and GBA because of obvious limitations. Autosave is a feature that's missing in most 2D Mario games.

Last edited:
You know you can't just throw 4 player multiplayer into an old game and expect it to work well right? Those games were not designed with several players in mind.

And if the only reason you can come up with is better sprites, resolution and a multiplayer that would work horribly, then they DEFINITELY don't need to be remade.

You know you can't just throw 4 player multiplayer into an old game and expect it to work well right? Those games were not designed with several players in mind.
Well, Super Mario Maker 2 has done it well with the SMB1, SMB3, and SMW art styles perfectly well. Yeah, they weren't meant to be because of limitations at the time for a good chunk of those games, even though Contra and Mario Bros prove that it can be done on the NES, albeit 2-player only. Super Mario Bros. 2 before it became what it is was originally going to have multiplayer before it became Doki Doki Panic and then turned back into a Mario game. A remake on modern hardware can officially make Super Mario Bros. 2 come close to the originally intended vision of having multiplayer but with 4 player support because Switch and mobile allow it if you also factor in online in the case of mobile. The remakes can have changes made to them to accommodate the added features and make the experience fun. Whitehead and Spinks (Redigit) can make changes to allow it to work well along with the better resolutions and stuff with keeping the majority of the level design intact with slight changes to accommodate for the multiple characters on-screen as well as the additional room offered by the higher resolutions.

Last edited:
Well, Super Mario Maker 2 has done it well with the SMB1, SMB3, and SMW art styles perfectly well.
ok but thats mario maker 2 where people can make their own levels themed around multiplayer and not straight up just the original game with the original levels that have not been designed around any kind of multiplayer

If they were going to make that many changes, may as well make whole new games instead.

I mean thats basically what the NSMB series was and I don't think anyone wants anymore of those, unless they are actually new enough to justify the NEW.

We already have remakes. They're called Super Mario All Stars and Super Mario Advance.

We already have remakes. They're called Super Mario All Stars and Super Mario Advance.
Yeah, but they're out of date by today's standards and while they are better, they're not in HD remastered form like the Sonic ones.

Yeah, but they're out of date by today's standards and while they are better, they're not in HD remastered form like the Sonic ones.
But that's different. Sonic has a different playstyle than Mario. Who cares that they aren't in HD? You can still have fun playing it without HD graphics.

The nsmb games exist to be "nostalgic". Basically the logo describes it: it's an enhanced version of the original super mario bros logo.

But.....I dont really feel reminded of nes or snes mario whenever I play these games....theyre kinda bad at their jobs.

While I highly doubt that nintendo would accept Christian Whitehead to work with them seeing their track record with fangames and such, I'd like to see a reimagining of classic mario. Maybe a mix between super mario world and the nsmb for example.

Last edited:
The nsmb games exist to be "nostalgic". Basically the logo describes it: it's an enhanced version of the original super mario bros logo.

But.....I dont really feel reminded of nes or snes mario whenever I play these games....theyre kinda bad at their jobs.

While I highly doubt that nintendo would accept Christian Whitehead to work with them seeing their track record with fangames and such, I'd like to see a remaining of classic mario. Maybe a mix between super mario world and the nsmb for example.
The nostalgia novelty of the NSMB series hasn't really worked since 2006, imo

The nostalgia novelty of the NSMB series hasn't really worked since 2006, imo
It's died down since NSMBWii, that's for sure since NSMB2 and U weren't groundbreaking games at all.

Back