Mario Golf: Super Rush

Eh, gonna wait and see.

To be fair World Tour had pretty generic realistic golf levels sometimes and still was good as it balanced them out with fun Mario-based golf levels. Since I loved what World Tour did with Mario Golf the story mode kind of looks like it could be a bit better than Castle Club if there are more places to go. Let's just hope it's good and it keeps the power-ups system when optional, EDIT: and keep the more fun Mario-based levels.

I'm not a fan of using the word "realistic" to describe these levels; I liked the more advanced lighting systems into play with Super Rush, and I thought the desert environment in of itself looked pretty nice to play in, as opposed to the lower res 3DS graphics. The issue with them is that they're generic and they don't take advantage of the Mario IP; the environments showcased so far can be interchangable with any golf title.

LonelyGoomba also complained about the polies on the Hammer Bro and I'm like...I think that's a minor issue, the Hammer Bro looked fine to me, they're probably aiming for 60 fps.

There's only like, what, three courses that have been showcased so far? Mario Golf titles had always had their share of generic courses alongside their Mario-themed ones. I have no qualms of being skeptical of them, however, since their recent entries tend to be fairly disappointing and especially with something like Mario Sports Superstars, which had only generic courses.

Who cares about the enviroment? The characters are where the game will shine the most.

Eh, golf courses are just as, if not, more important than characters and is likely where the bulk of the game's development will be focused on. Everyone will need to play on the grass and desert courses showcased. It is optional to select Toad as your golfer.

Oh gee, Mario Golf: World Tour is going to be super bland! SMH look at this generic screenshot.
MarioForestCourse.jpg

Look at Mario Golf Toadstool Tour! Personality!!
MountMushmore.jpg

I get LonelyGoomba's concerns but this isn't time to indict Super Rush when there's incomplete information being presented. We wait until Super Rush gets the Sports Superstars treatment of generic tracks, wait if they reveal more courses, and then we can make a better judgement.

To be honest, both of these screenshots feature clues of their games' pertinence to the Mario universe (colored NSMB hills and trees that look straight out of 3D Land in the first screenshot, Mount Mushmore in the second). The landscapes are thus not 100% generic, though I do agree the one in Toadstool Tour isn't far from that.

The "Mushmore" screenshot was to show that World Tour was "generic" in comparison to Toadstool Tour. I missed the wacky hills in the background, but my point is that it's unfair to judge a game so early on and also use screenshots with weird compositions (like why use a screenshot of characters running for your grassland screenshot, conclude the game's visuals of looking like a "wasteland" and then not see that the shot where we see Luigi ice skating looks more lush?) We have only literally three seconds of Daisy golfing in the forest and not much footage of characters in the desert (just Mario putting/approach shotting and Waluigi hitting).

Sure you can concern yourself with the game being like Sports Superstars and stripped down, but it's too soon to make a judgement, and people are using that tweet to draw conclusions from what little they see. Even if further footage confirms their fears, that's because they guessed correctly how things are going and further evidence supports it. Initial evidence, however, doesn't.

I also saw some people attacking Mario Tennis Aces for its setpieces iirc in the thread but I had zero issues with that one because the courts that aren't Marina Stadium fit the aesthetic.

My main problem isn't that its generic (as even World Tour, an overall good game, had some generic golf courses alongside the more Mario-themed ones), but rather that the graphics just look muted. The courses simply aren't as colorful as a Mario game should be. Compare one of Rush's "generic" courses to one of the regular WT courses:

Mario-Golf-Super-Rush-launches-June-25-on-Nintendo-Switch-990x518.jpgMGWT_Desert_Course.jpg
While both have generic themes, the WT course looks colorful, bubbly, and cartoony, like something straight out of the Mario universe. On the other hand, SR looks more muted and, while more graphically impressive, looks like something you'd see in a more realistic sports game, not a Mario-themed one.

yeah a thing i said on a discord yesterday is that the enviroments in super rush kinda sorta .. just dont feel like mario. you could fit it with a lot of other games and not have it look out of place

If anything, the first location in Super Rush does look like Gold Links in Sports Superstars, barring the color. Note the scattered trees, and the houses give off this "rural European farmland" vibe for a lack of a better word.

MGSR_Mario_swing.png

GoldLinks5.jpg

GoldLinks1.jpg

Even then, Gold Links is at least colorful and appealing. SR's courses look dry and flavorless.

I'm pretty sure the saturated visuals won't look as good with the better lighting and more realistic texturing. The grass course looks all right to me. I've seen some people compare this to Sword and Shield, and hell no way this is anywhere near the ugly ass trash that is Sword and Shield.

It's hard to say right now, but it looks like the game has brought back Daisy's N64 era tan.
As she looks noticeably darker in skin tone compared to Peach.
EE10C56A-7117-4C0D-B0C2-2F8A97EADD34.jpeg28A2540C-0090-45C5-858E-F1165AB3C053.jpeg
Honestly, if this is the case, I'm all down for this.
It complements her well and makes her stand out from Peach more.

Last edited:
As a low-profile Daisy fan I support this decision. They should have made her eyes brown though--the current blue eyes clash a bit with the darker skin tone.

Right. I'm on the hazel eye rep. Let's get more of that into games!

Also I hope they'll add more characters down the line like Pauline and whatnot.

I wouldn't expect much of a response from a banned person.
I still don't see why Dr. Peach isn't listed on the ban log considering even though it was for a pretty dark reason, it's better than people not knowing why and then there's commotion about people posting "why was this person banned" because someone who was just banned wasn't listed on the ban log.

I still don't see why Dr. Peach isn't listed on the ban log considering even though it was for a pretty dark reason, it's better than people not knowing why and then there's commotion about people posting "why was this person banned" because someone who was just banned wasn't listed on the ban log.
It was in Discord.

Back on topic, Golf isn't the most exciting sport, that's why I won't be playing Mario Golf.

I know it was on Discord, but it was enough to warrant and cause a forum ban, and thus since Dr. Peach got banned on the forum it should be listed as a forum ban on the ban log.

But yeah on topic, I'll get Super Rush probably when I move out so I don't have to worry about my parents restricting everything.

Last edited:
Back