What was the first Mario game you ever played?

My first one overall had to either be Super Mario Land or Super Mario 64 since I got them both in a pretty close time frame, but my memory is a little faded.

2D Mario - Super Mario Land
3D Mario - Super Mario 64
Mario and Luigi - Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
Paper Mario - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Mario Kart - Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Party - Mario Party 6
Mario Tennis - Mario Power Tennis
Mario Golf - Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Mario Baseball - Mario Super Sluggers
Mario Strikers - Mario Strikers Charged
Mario and Sonic - Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games (DS)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong - Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Dr. Mario - Dr. Mario (GB)
Luigi's Mansion - Luigi's Mansion (GCN)
Yoshi's Island - Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Wario Land - Wario Land 4
WarioWare - WarioWare Twisted
Donkey Kong Country - Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Super Smash Bros. - Super Smash Bros. (N64)

Arcade version ("VS Super Mario Bros."; took another year before we got an NES). (This, if you're not counting the original Donkey Kong).

the first mario game i've ever played was super mario bros. however i played it on some bootleg console. so in that case technically my first ever mario game was new super mario bros wii

It's pretty fascinating how technically the first Mario game I played would remain among my most hated Mario titles today.

I think my first Mario game was some flash game called Super Mario Flash. It is a fan game after all.

Mario Kart 64, in a hotel room when I was at Washington, DC, USA in March of 2001. I started out playing a PlayStation and I love racing games.

Super Mario Bros (NES) and Super Mario Bros 3 (NES): 4 or 5 years old. I remember getting Mario 3 from the SEARS here in town way back when it first came out and I was in Kindergarten then and so I never really completed either game until I was a bit older. In 1st grade, I received my SNES for Christmas that year and Super Mario World came with it so I was about 7 then. I felt really accomplished when I got past "Tubular" in Special World and beat that aspect of the game. The N64 didn't come out until I was 12 or so in '96 and got Mario 64 for that. I somehow managed to get all 120 stars in it and it took me the better part of a year to do that. After the N64 I moved on to other consoles with eventually becoming primarily a PC gamer. Eventually, a friend of mine had picked up a Wii and I would play Super Mario Galaxy when I would visit him as well as the New Super Mario Bros game. Largely nothing from that until I received my own Nintendo Switch Lite from a good friend and got myself Super Mario Bros U Deluxe for it and also Super Mario Bros 3D All-Stars. So getting back into the interest. I need something light, silly, cheery, and happy and so the series is definitely that.

My first one in general is Mario Kart Wii.

2D: New Super Mario Bros.
3D: Either Super Mario 3D Land or Super Mario Galaxy 2, can't remember which I played first. I definitely played 3D Land more.
Mario & Luigi: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Paper Mario: Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart: Mario Kart Wii
Luigi's Mansion: Luigi's Mansion (3DS)
Wario Land: Wario Land 1
WarioWare: WarioWare Gold
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem
Mario & Sonic: Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Mario Party: Mario Party 9
Mario Golf: Mario Golf (GBC)
Maker: Super Mario Maker
Dr. Mario: Dr. Mario (NES)

oh huh right so we could list off multiple
so as i said last page, my first 2d mario and first mario game in general is smb2
first 3d mario is odyssey
... first mario rpg is mario + rabbids
first yoshi is yoshis island snes (unless you count the crafted world demo .......), first donky kong is dkc1 (unless you ALSO count donkey kong the arcade game... ... .. .... .)
...ive played pitifully little mario games despite mario being my favorite series ever

It might have been either Mario Party 2, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, or Super Mario World. I don't remember the very first Mario game I've played, but those four are the closest guesses I have.

Super Mario Bros. is the first Mario game that I have played, and for some of the other series, that would be:
- Super Mario Kart
- Mario Party (1)
- Mario Golf: Advance Tour
- Mario Tennis: Power Tour
- Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games
- Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move

Thank you for reading.

Back