Gauging Popular Opinions (Current: DiC's Mario Cartoons)

What is your opinion on the Mario animated series by DiC (Super Show, Bros. 3, World)?

• I love the animated series for what they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are things I like about the animated series, enough for me to like them.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Even though there are some things I like about them, I still don't care for them.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I like the animated series only for its cheesy value.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I consider the animated series to be a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
153-1535252_heres-hi-res-mario-holding-a-gun-mario.png
615px-Yoshisafari.jpg

The next poll is about the idea of Mario wielding a gun, or any firearm for that matter. The idea was originally going to be implemented in the first Super Mario Bros. game, but it was ultimately scrapped in favour of fireballs. It would be Mega Man that would bring the idea of a gun to a platformer (aka the Buster), and thus is most well-known for it.

However, Mario had his share of firearms in the games, although not necessarily the gun itself. For example, in Yoshi's Safari, he held a Super Scope, which is structured like a bazooka. Plus, there's Mario + Rabbids, where Mario's main weapon is a firearm (literally) that is his main form of offense. Of course, that's not going into how Smash is a free-for-all or how third-part media (fan-made or otherwise) that sometimes depicted Mario with a firearm.

So what do you think of Mario wielding a firearm?

Thank you for reading.

as far as the main series go not at all but in an rpg it could make for a player expectation subversion which is one major component of a good MaRPG plot for me. however i still wouldn't want it to be like realistic so i'm going option 2

Bring on the guns, why not. As far as I know, it didn't stop a bunch of elderly Hammer Bros. from handing their prized family shotgun to Mario.

Mario_gun.png

Sincerely, a disgruntled Mario fan.

That gun was very frustrating though - he literally never fired it, so even a pair of scissors would have been more menacing at that point.

Hm, I've actually recently come to a conclusion that Fludd and Poltergust satisfy my need for a Mario shooter. We don't need to take it any further than Luigi's Mansion series, maybe just throw in an optional first person view mode in lm4 if lm3 hasn't done that already.

1595344270571.png

1. As long as the choice of firearms are not realistic, it would be fine. Votes: 7 (58.3%)
  2. Mario using guns is cool and should happen more often. Votes: 2 (16.7%)
  3. Mario shouldn't wield guns for any reason. Votes: 2 (16.7%)
  4. Mario using a gun is better off only in a third-party media. Votes: 1 (8.3%)
The results are in, and we can see that the majority are not against the idea of Mario's usage of firearms, but only if it's fantastical in nature, such as the use of a Super Scope in Yoshi's Island or probably something resembling a toy gun. Perhaps there isn't much of a stigma against the thought of handling guns, although there are a few that are very much against the idea.

Next topic deals with something related to the Koopalings.

Thank you for reading.

Reactions: zel
tumblr_macscsEUWm1rw70wfo1_r1_500.png

A new poll is up, and with that, a new topic! Not even a decade ago, the creators of Mario have clarified that the Koopalings are not Bowser's children and that Bowser Jr. is Bowser's only biological son. This is unlike how it was portrayed not long after the Koopalings were introduced, and in fact, even the cartoons portrayed them as Bowser's children. Naturally, those who were invested in the idea that Bowser has a gang of kids were perturbed by this.

Given that 8 years had passed since this revelation, who knows how well this idea is treated now.

Thank you for reading.

Unfortunately, none of the options quite apply to me. I don't particularly care about what the official lore says otherwise and I'll say they're Bowser's children but I won't contest it.

Unfortunately, none of the options quite apply to me. I don't particularly care about what the official lore says otherwise and I'll say they're Bowser's children but I won't contest it.
Ah, that's disappointing to know. I was hoping that the simpler choice list would cover for almost all bases since I am a bit apprehensive in having too many options, given the overall lower turnout here compared to the Wiki. I can see the merit in covering as much ground as possible for the main polls in the main wiki page, even if there are a few times I felt that there are a bit too many options.

Thank you for reading.

im generally more neutral on this but yea i headcanon that bowser just adoped them. sucks when theyre treated as just a high ranked group of minions or something and not family

i prefer the thought of bowser only having one kid (being jr). i always saw the koopalings as a buncha kids working for bowser instead of being his children. we never really saw bowser treat them like his children, and we see him treat jr sometimes like he's his only son, which i like to think is the case.

It bothered me initially way back when, I've long since accepted it.

Plus the koopalings don't feel very childlike when I look at em now anyway, Lemmy notwithstanding. I'd sooner believe they were in their late teens early 20s now.

Between third and fourth option. It's not going to change and I'm not going to pretend they still are Bowser's children in the current games, but after seeing their concept artwork (which was actually that of Bowser's redesign), the change still doesn't make sense to me. They were conceived as Bowser's children, it's sad that they never managed to do much worthwhile with them and in the end just wiped out their very origin. Even worse, they systematically refused to give us any insight in Bowser Jr.'s concept and design, as if they still felt like that was some kind of bad act that needs to be hidden from public. But Bowser Jr. is great, it's just what was done with the Koopalings that is subpar!

I'd be happy if in some kind of quick hidden game trivia/dialogue line they at least passed them as disowned biological children who have to keep this secret hidden from Bowser Jr., it wouldn't require any effort in terms of doing something with them - that they likely don't want to do - while reconciling with their origin.

This change is just mind-boggling. Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings could easily coexist. And Bowser Jr. CLEARLY wasn't intended to replace the Koopalings, as Iggy Koopa makes a cameo in Super Mario Sunshine, which of course was Junior's debut. I used to subscribe to the Adoption "Theory" (which has absolutely no grounds whatsoever, it's not even credible like the Cataclysm "Theory" from Megaman that was directly implied in X4 and later debunked by Keiji Inafune and later leaked documents created before the release of X1) but now I like to think Bowser disowned them, because it's exactly the thing Bowser would do. He'd certainly prefer an exact copy of himself over Morton, Iggy, or Lemmy. Likewise, I mean, it'd just be funny to see how characters like Ludwig or Wendy would react to no longer being royalty.

That being said, what Miyamoto says is the truth, like how Inafune says is the truth, though, unlike Megaman, Mario has a less consistent canon (with the characters referred to as a "troupe of actors" that can do whatever the devs want), thus I'm more willing to accept the Koopalings not being Bowser's children than I am Dr. Wily not having a hand in the creation of Protoman (as clearly seen in the same document that revealed Zero not being responsible for the original Megaman's death). And, moreover, it was Miyamoto (creator of Mario) who said it, not those dingbats who made Megaman 11, which I personally don't consider canon for a multitude of reasons.

I've never really cared much into the depths of their relation with Bowser. Wether "his children" means biological, or adopted, or mafia. Any answer doesn't change the gameplay at all.

The only thing that dissapoints me is the looming annoyance that I believe Nintendo was pressured to make the announcement in response to boomer humors "wHaT iF pEaCh iS tHe MoM"

Its not really a big deal and it barely changes anything, but I do generally just go with the idea that they're all Bowsers kids (though I mean "kids" in a loose sense since some of them strike me more as teenagers/young adults as someone else said). Though they could also be disowned. Or something. Or whatever. Schrödinger's children I guess.

1595863770448.png

The results are in, and here they are:
  1. I do not mind the change, as I am not bothered by the relationship change. Votes: 5 (33.3%)
  2. It's an unwelcomed change but I can accept it. Votes: 4 (26.7%)
  3. It's a good change, as it's made clear what Bowser's lineage is (as in, Bowser Jr's his only child). Votes: 3 (20.0%)
  4. I refuse to buy this and will adamantly assume that the Koopaling's are Bowser's direct children. Votes: 3 (20.0%)
The results are pretty much even, where the difference in votes between the most popular opinion and the least popular opinions are not that wide. In other words, it's a properly mixed opinion. Some people have reconciled with the developer's vision, which is probably a simple approach since they aren't likely to change their minds, so it's better to accept than to keep being dissatisfied. Yet, some still felt offended that things changed, and perhaps this might be because of having sweeter imaginings (be it fanfic or fan theory) if Bowser had a motley of kids.

Next poll will be about a landmark.

Thank you for reading.

800px-Peach%27s_Castle_side_view.png

Our next poll will be about Peach's Castle, which is my topic of choice for Super Mario 64. That game basically established Peach's Castle as a significant landmark for the Mario series, which is basically the residence for Peach. Although Peach's Castle appeared a lot of times in future games, I narrowed down the list to only cover games where Peach's castle can be entered, because the idea is that it's easier to determine if one liked the place if one gets to explore within that place, unlike the other appearances where you only see it from outside.

If there's a version of Peach's Castle that you liked but is not mentioned in the poll, please feel free to mention them!

Thank you for reading.

the only games on the poll i've played are:
  • super mario 64
  • paper mario (assume you were talking about only the first one as, out of the three i've played, it's the only one to make a physical appearance, don't know about sticker star or colour splash but i know it returns in the origami king)
  • partners in time
  • bowser's inside story
but my fav has to be super mario 64. despite not having played this game back then, i see it as a classic, with all sorts of explorables and stuff that the others, though good, don't hold a candle to

Back