Gauging Popular Opinions (Current: DiC's Mario Cartoons)

What is your opinion on the Mario animated series by DiC (Super Show, Bros. 3, World)?

• I love the animated series for what they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are things I like about the animated series, enough for me to like them.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Even though there are some things I like about them, I still don't care for them.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I like the animated series only for its cheesy value.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I consider the animated series to be a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Before Galaxy 2, all 3D Mario platformers was something distinct and unique that set them apart from each other. You should expect better than a 60 dollar expansion pack that also blatantly regurgitates concepts from Galaxy 1 straight back at you and retains all flaws Galaxy 1 has, especially with filler content.

well if i'm giving my personal opinion, i absolutely adore the game because it was my first 3d mario so i have a lot of nostalgia, and i feel that even now it still has plenty of positive qualities that make it enjoyable to come back to all these years later
Ahyea nostalgia is a powerful thing. Understandable since it's all impressionable and early experiences can be powerful. It's funny to me though since I consider Odyssey to be better than the other Mario games I grew up with... Heck a lot of games I grew up I kinda just remembered all the bad experiences like Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl and even some of Galaxy 1, which I've condemned Galaxy 1 at one point. Still I grew up with New Super Mario Bros. DS and Super Mario 64 DS and I liked these two a lot. Maybe I was just an edgy teenager.

Probably because it's exactly that: an expansion to something that many consider a great game, myself included. If you liked a game so much, wouldn't you want more of it?

Yeah it's a tad frustrating that Galaxy 2 doesn't acknowledge the first game at all, but it doesn't detract from the experience. Koizumi pls give us Galaxy 3.
Figure so, kinda like my reveling at Odyssey but with a 2 but being repelled at a hypothetical Galaxy 3. Maybe I just didn't like the design of Galaxy that much having grown up with the sandbox nature of Super Mario 64 and then not enjoying Bowser Kingdom in Odyssey that much. I remember my expectations for Galaxy 2. Seeing Mario ride Fluzzard in E3 screenshots gave me the owl vibes from Super Mario 64 and exploring a lush jungle. Turned out to just be some gimmick. Pretty crushing.

Galaxy 2 just so thoroughly disappointed me because it removed the cool powerups too or didn't expand on their potential and somehow overrelied on past level gimmicks to a worse effect, and they put in a few too many 2.5D levels and tried its Super Mario World nostalgia tickling a tad too much that made it a confusing mes of what kind of platformer it wanted to be.

honestly, i prefer it when it's course based. some might argue that sandbox based games are better because the levels are bigger and have more exploration, and i can respect opinions like that, but i think the games being level based allow for more level variety. don't get me wrong, i really like sandbox based games, i loved mario 64, but eventually visiting the same world over and over looking for collectibles gets tiring and you wanna go somewhere else. granted, that's the point of different worlds in sandbox based games, but you get something new very quickly in course based games. Mario galaxy tho is kind of a weird case where it's both level based and sandbox based. you have the small levels with about one star that you quickly forget about, but you also have the big worlds where you can explore, such as honeyhive galaxy and seaslide galaxy, which feel like they belong in games like sunshine or 64. that's kinda why i love galaxy so much: it gives you short levels if you don't feel like exploring or it gives you big levels if you wanna look for stars.

so yeah i prefer course based games, but sandbox based games are very close to being better.

Galaxy 2 is *the* most overrated Mario game of all time and probably among the most overrated game of all time. I still cannot grasp why people heap so much praise for it when it's just Galaxy but with a 2.
I mean you're right that Galaxy 2 is really just more Galaxy, but to me and many others Galaxy 1 was so great that more of the same isn't a bad thing at all. Plus Galaxy 2 was one of my first Mario games so there's that

1593959634854.png

The results are in! These are the results of this poll:
  1. Sandbox-based (64, Sunshine, Odyssey) Votes: 9 (60.0%)
  2. Course-based (Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D Land, 3D World) Votes: 6 (40.0%)

Previously, I ran a poll where users can choose between 2D and 3D platformers, and clearly, the 3D platformers are preferred, therefore this is to build upon that. Since the majority of users based their opinion on 3D Mario as hardly anybody would think much on Donkey Kong and Wario's 3D platformers, the natural conclusion is to pick between the two types of 3D Mario games outlined by the developers back in January 2017 (when the Switch was first detailed). Of the two, the sandbox-style gameplay is clearly the preferred one, given how it's usually packed with detail in their levels in a way a course-based level lacks. Although there are some users who liked both, I would have appreciated if the opinion is elucidated. In fact, if the opinion is outside the scope of the poll, an elaboration would be very much welcomed.

Anyway, for our next poll, it would be related to voice-acting.

Thank you for reading.

oh cant wait for voice actign then!! i skipped this one because um its hard to judge what i like better since ive only played odyssey ................
anyway i really really want a mario game with full voice acting. more like mario sunshine but actually let mario speak too! and not just remove his only two lines from the na version of the game!!!!! So basically like rayman 3

i think voice acting is best limited to only a few effects, like mario jumping. sunshine is really the only mario game i've played with prominent voice acting, and i'm indifferent/slightly negative towards it. speaking from the lego series, i prefer those with minimal voice acting (i've played some which heavily feauture voice acting like marvel superheroes and batman 3, and others which have very little voice such as lego batman 1 and indiana jones 1 & 2)

The poll is up! @ZelenPixel @Cackletta's Soul Please vote if you haven't already done so.

This poll is inspired by how Mario games started adopting voice acting as a standard in its games in the latter half of 1990, as opposed to certain curiosities like Pauline's call for help in Donkey Kong for the Game Boy. Super Mario 64 is the biggest example of a game that used voice acting a lot, as Mario says something after pretty much every action.

I should perhaps elaborate on these two options: (1) Short samples of voice acting are mainly tolerated (no talkative characters) and (2) As long as it's done outside gameplay it would be OK. For (1), basically it's more that character said short sentences like how it's handled in the New Super Mario Bros. games. (2) is basically keeping voice-acting away from playing the game, such as how in Hotel Mario nothing is said while playing the game, yet voice acting still exists in cutscenes.

Oh, and one more thing: it's not restricted to Mario games. It can even include Wario games, which is exemplified by how WarioWario Gold is a fully voice-acted game!

Thank you for reading.

Reactions: zel
Full-on voice acting is the best bet for me. I remember seeing the anime-style Wario Land: Shake It cutscenes and how awkward it looked that characters are talking with everything else making sound but nothing coming out of their mouth.

Good voice acting is better than no voice acting at all. There's so many characters and quotable lines brought to life thanks to talented people.

I always thought more voice acting would be a great way to liven up certian parts of the game (like boss battles, to name one example). So yeah, I'd be down. Just so long as it's better than Sunshine's voice acting. Like, for example, WarioWare Gold put actual effort into it's voice acting and killed it.

Personally I can't remember any game that had voice-acting that was on-par with movies. And I know Nintendo would never make a story-heavy Mario game with full voice acting, the best bet I have in terms of "it might happen" is a SMS remake/remaster with either reused clips or re-recorded ones (which I'd prefer, so we can have the current VAs especially for Bowser)

I'd absolutely love if we got a story-focused game with fully voice-acted cutscenes if it was actually well made, but that just seems like a massive risk for a series that Nintendo is clearly conservative about, especially in the area of story.

Personally I can't remember any game that had voice-acting that was on-par with movies.

There's plenty of voice acting in games out there that's phenomenal and on par with movies. Like, a lot, to the point where my response to you is a vast understatement. A lot of the voice actors aren't even necessarily Hollywood tier-recognizable like Keith Sutherland playing as Snake, but they still do an amazing job in the games they're in, to the point where we see uproars such as David Hayter not returning to play as Snake or multitudes of characters receiving voice actor changes having a distinct effect on the character portrayal.

Mario cutscenes would be fine with voice acting but my problem is that Mario games are not dedicated to cutscenes. Nintendo normally uses them by giving the opening and closing story of the game, and tutorials. If Nintendo gave a decent amount of cutscenes like in Super Paper Mario or Kirbys Epic Yarn, They could stand for some voice acting.

Another possibility would be a narrator which would be fine in virtually any game.

How ever, If A game like the Mario and Luigi RPG's were given voice acting at all, It would be awful.

The voice acting I tend to like, and that I think would continue to work best for the Mario franchise, is the kind where you have full-acting in cutscenes, but you have little voiced quips and pieces during regular gameplay.

I do, however, think that there are some instances where Mario and Luigi specifically are best left voiceless - namely,in the Mario & Luigi RPGs, where their distinctive "voice" is part of their charm, and, for Mario at least, in Paper Mario, where humour often is derived from his status as a silent protagonist.

Mario and Luigi could use more varieties in their gibberish, to the point where it becomes just Simlish

Like imagine this

Luigi (mad): Baba..babada barboo!? UGH!
Mario: Huh? Beesna frasp!?
Luigi: Tonkooboo, tonkooboo, king kaya maleh.

at least, in Paper Mario, where humour often is derived from his status as a silent protagonist.
I'm not sure there are much jokes directly riffing on Paper Mario's inability to talk.

I find most Mario characters would be too annoying with full voices. Mario especially.

Makes me wonder how the movie will handle it.

Well, I liked Mario's lines in Super Mario Sunshine (why they were cut???) and the voice acting as a whole, regardless of how we rate it nowadays, was memorable (I am your mama?), but let's not forget the Super Mario Advance games!

Ultimately, as even the Mario Kart games showed, the Mario characters talk, so let them talk in the games! Just don't go overboard Sonic Heroes style and we're good to go!

Nah.

Back