Gauging Popular Opinions (Current: DiC's Mario Cartoons)

What is your opinion on the Mario animated series by DiC (Super Show, Bros. 3, World)?

• I love the animated series for what they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are things I like about the animated series, enough for me to like them.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Even though there are some things I like about them, I still don't care for them.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I like the animated series only for its cheesy value.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I consider the animated series to be a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let's see.

No, I don't like his saccharine personality.
He's as cute as other animals who will eat literally anything, namely bacteria and flies.
His love for food is literally the only defining thing about him and it's beaten to death as a source of humor for this character.
His abilities aren't that great.

So I guess the only good thing about him is him being a mount for you to take an extra hit off of or that you need him to clear an obstacle, for you to discard once you're done using him like a toothpick.

He is not that distinct from the others personality-wise, especially Mario. I guess he's just a happy guy who eats a lot? Idk, Mario already does that.

I had to vote for abilities. He's an amazing power-up.

i did vote for the first two options already! i just like his design especially
for the record i do prefer his modern design over the older ones just specifically the one with older elements

It's a shame they didn't keep the old design because it'll improve the character lineup. Now Yoshi's build is too close to Mario's body type (as well as Koopa Troopa's) with a large head, human-like hands, upright posture, sacrificing the unique long neck, small arms, hunched-over look, spines running down the back. The old build had more of a theropod feel, the kind that gave rise to modern birds (like an ostrich; Yoshi's concept started as more bird-like which you also see remnants of in these sprites). The new one is a lot more awkward when he's doing something as mundane as bending over, as they have to remove one spine just so it doesn't go through his body as well as adjusting the saddle and it just... looks ugly as a result

YoshiNSMBW.png
600px-Yoshi_and_Yarn_Yoshi.png

Also the voice detracts a lot from the character so the voice alone disqualifies Yoshi as a "cute" character.

he has removable spines

I think Yoshi's alright.

But you know what. TTYD Baby Yoshi is a godsend, in a game that can be boring to navigate through a lot of the time.

i like yoshi. I like how happy he always looks (even when he's sad he still has that happy aura), and I think he's cute. I could easily consider him on of my fave mario characters.

But you know what. TTYD Baby Yoshi is a godsend, in a game that can be boring to navigate through a lot of the time.
That Yoshi is just a solution to a problem they invented when they removed the spindash, so, no, no praise from me.

No it wasn't.

It was the one thing they should have brought back and they didn't. Besides, Spin Dash was accessible at all times, and even had an upgrade in the form of a badge. Meanwhile TTYD requires you to get a specific partner to move quickly and you actually have to switch to him to use it and switch back for other stuff. It's such a pointless, yet super annoying change that just adds up to the tiny things that make TTYD much less enjoyable than its predecessor.

TTYD would be SO much better if they just had the spin dash. (Among other adjustments but that's the one big letdown to me)

The spin dash has a completely unnecessary hesitation at the end, is a complete eyesore if used for prolonged periods of time, and honestly...that last paragraph of your post just sounds like a stupid exaggeration.

If you really cared about the spin dash that much then I don't mind. But I honestly feel that Mini-Yoshi is a better dash move than Spin Dash ever was.

Option 1, 2 and 5.

Yoshi is so damn cute, and I love the abilities that it brings to games, like a new layer of gameplay that can be interesting. I love their gameplay additions to Super Mario Galaxy 2 for example, which is mostly one of the rare good thing about that game in my opinion. Also, I love Yoshi platformer games more than the most recent 2D Mario games, so I do love Yoshi a lot more than just him being a mount for Mario.

I like Yoshi, he is cute and a part my of childhood (I loved Yoshi's Island growing up), though I'm still upset about him being playable over Waluigi in Super Mario 64 ds. I understand why, but it still hurts...

I'd call that an ability or power too.

Uhh I guess Yosh was in the game before him and that's the reason?
He was an npc on the castle roof, but then they made him playable and for some reason the star of the game in the remake. Maybe that was during a time when Yoshi peaked in popularity?

The spin dash has a completely unnecessary hesitation at the end, is a complete eyesore if used for prolonged periods of time, and honestly...that last paragraph of your post just sounds like a stupid exaggeration.

If you really cared about the spin dash that much then I don't mind. But I honestly feel that Mini-Yoshi is a better dash move than Spin Dash ever was.
i agree

why even HAVE a dash/fast travel option to begin with? is mario's speed not sufficient enough? if slowness and pacing is a problem, it's the problem with the level design and game design, not mario's default speed.

Nonetheless, the presence of the spin dash in the first Paper Mario is still something I appreciate, no matter what it says about the level design. And it is something I would welcomed in TTYD, what with the ridiculous amounts of backtracking.

Also Fast Travel is essential in any game that has areas that you constantly revisit, it's not an indication that the level design is weak. It's a convenient tool that allows you to skip the tedium of walking through places constantly and it's there for people who hate backtracking as much as I. I understand the need of backtracking or rather, how hard it is to find ways around it, but in TTYD's case it really bogs down the experience for me.

the thing I have with Yoshi, is that idc much for him as a character, but I do like him as a mount. Some of his voice clips though, can be a bit irritating on the ears

Also Fast Travel is essential in any game that has areas that you constantly revisit, it's not an indication that the level design is weak. It's a convenient tool that allows you to skip the tedium of walking through places constantly and it's there for people who hate backtracking as much as I. I understand the need of backtracking or rather, how hard it is to find ways around it, but in TTYD's case it really bogs down the experience for me.

That's a poor choice of words from my part. I meant like, general speeding up your walking speed, not teleportation.

Oh ok.

In that case the fact that the lack of a speeding up option is so noticeable in TTYD is telling, I'll say that. Say what you want about the spin dash being "wonky" but at least it's effective, especially with the speedy spin badge, it saves a lot of time and makes the few boring parts of the game more tolerable.

Yeah, I think swapping out just for Mini-Yoshi's ability is pretty lame. Other RPGs that have a speedier feature such as Pokemon's running shoes / bike or Tales of Symphonia's Noishe are simple to swap out and are easy to use, but Mini-Yoshi is simply a major inconvenience. Maybe Paper Mario should just get a dash button instead of the hassle of swapping out partners just for the speed boost, or either just speed up walking in general or design your levels better so navigation isn't an issue.

Which is why I love the first game so much. Its levels are very well designed and those that have backtracking are designed around the idea so as to make it the least tedious possible. Chapter 6 has a central hub from which the areas branch out. That spreads the walking distance pretty thinly and it manages to somewhat circumvent this backtracking by making it shorter and quicker.

Meanwhile in TTYD you have Twilight trail designed like a normal boring level, that and it has some annoying enemy placements, and you have to go through it several times. And backtracking is present in every single chapter, maybe not counting the last one because I haven't gotten to it yet but... yeah.

Ironically, TTYD is clearly the game that needed the spin dash more.

Back