Gauging Popular Opinions (Current: DiC's Mario Cartoons)

What is your opinion on the Mario animated series by DiC (Super Show, Bros. 3, World)?

• I love the animated series for what they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are things I like about the animated series, enough for me to like them.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Even though there are some things I like about them, I still don't care for them.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I like the animated series only for its cheesy value.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I consider the animated series to be a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
oh well i do love dkcr but that still doesn't outweigh my love for 3d platformers.

I haven't played any DK, Wario, or Yoshi platformers yet, but it seems like the 2D platformers outweigh the 3D ones in those areas. The DK 2D platformers in particular have been highly praised, while Donkey Kong 64 had some controversy. But since I haven't played any of these, I still prefer 3D platformers to 2D platformers.

im ranking only the 2d marios because i havent played much of the rest (just yi snes really) but.
2d gameplay is pretty dam fun but none of the 2d games are really like.. as special as the 3d ones if that makes sense. you dont get a grand adventure or cool gimmicks, its just a super simple adventure and tahts ok i suppose. worth noting that rayman origins and legends, as mentioned earlier in the thread, also just do 2d platformers better lmao
so yea 3d gets my vote. also man i really gotta play tropical freeze

I honestly can't decide. I love both equally.
For me it really comes to how the platformer courses are laid out. I want a new obstacle every few steps of the way (why I have beef with SM64). I also desire details in the environment, I hate the stickman and everything's shadows/cubes trends, it just comes across as lazy to me (luckily Mario doesn't suffer from those trends, it's more prevelent in indie games). Also personality is key to keeping a game interesting, games that are just "you're a generic rogue and you hop across basic buildings/caves" is a classroom project not a piece you sell at GameStop. Luckily Mario doesn't suffer from that either. Though Mario does suffer from conservative theme design. It wouldn't hurt to stray from "the standard world themes layout".

But eh yeah. My answer is "It depends".

Last edited:
I like both, both 2D Mario and 3D Mario offer some of the best games the genre has to offer.

As a preface, I will say that I'm just talking about the Mario platformers here. I like both, but prefer the 3D ones. Like others have said, the sense of scale is greater in the 3D games; they feel like bigger deals. I feel like they are more likely to leave an impression on you as they have a sort of theme that the 2D games usually don't. For example, SMG has a theme of the wonders of space while the NSMB games are designed as just simple fun platformers that don't give off any special vibes, if you will. Still, the 2D games are fun experiences and are usually very well designed. Also, I think the 2D games have handled multiplayer much better than any of the 3D ones.

Since I don't play much platformers outside of the Mario franchise, I chose to vote for 3D Platformers.

When I was younger, I used to prefer 2D Platformers (Super Mario World is still one of my favorite Mario game), but now that I'm getting older (I'm 23 now) my tastes in video games have changed and I don't enjoy platformers as much as before. I don't enjoy 2D Platformers as much, and it doesn't help that 2D Mario games have stale in the recent years. I mean, when Yoshi and Donkey Kong Country games are becoming more enjoyable to me than your main character's 2D series, there is a problem.

But, 3D Mario games have really improved over the years, and are still enjoyable to me. Super Mario Odyssey was a great experience after many "good" games. Considering how Yoshi and Donkey Kong are great 2D Platformers, I feel there could be great potential for both of them in 3D.

I mean, when Yoshi and Donkey Kong Country games are becoming more enjoyable to me than your main character's 2D series, there is a problem.
Eh in Yoshi's part I disagree. I've seen a lot of criticism levied at Yoshi's Crafted World for just being dull, repetitive (especially with the potential they had with "replay the level but backward"), with a lot of filler, and a dull soundtrack that tops it off which contributes to the lukewarm reception. That with the hefty $60 tag.

However I haven't played it but from gauging overall reception I can't say the Yoshi platformers outdo Mario, especially when you factor Yoshi's Island DS, Yoshi's New Island, and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy.

Eh in Yoshi's part I disagree. I've seen a lot of criticism levied at Yoshi's Crafted World for just being dull, repetitive (especially with the potential they had with "replay the level but backward"), with a lot of filler, and a dull soundtrack that tops it off which contributes to the lukewarm reception. That with the hefty $60 tag.

However I haven't played it but from gauging overall reception I can't say the Yoshi platformers outdo Mario, especially when you factor Yoshi's Island DS, Yoshi's New Island, and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy.

That may be strange, but I actually enjoy Yoshi's Crafted World more than Yoshi's Woolly World (but for the soundtracks yeah, Woolly World did better). If I take Yoshi's Island (SNES), Woolly World and Crafted World, they are more enjoyable to me than NSMB as a whole. For instance, I could actually play NSMBU and I wouldn't feel the need to play the other NSMB games. That's how I actually feel about the 2D Mario games from recent years.

Oops, forgot to do an update.

1589037540310.png

Which do you like: 2D platformers and/or 3D platformers
  • 2D Platformers Votes: 9 (45.0%)
  • 3D Platformers Votes: 19 (95.0%)

It looks like 3D Platformers take up the majority of the votes, so it's quite clear that most people enjoyed the 3D platformers as evidenced by that one not getting a 100% vote. It's also clear that when doing the comparison, the Mario 3D platformers are used as the basis of the argument because it's far and away the best representative of this brand of platforming!

For the next vote, we will be looking at the different music themes introduced in the first Super Mario Bros., which had no doubt been used quite frequently in many Mario games that you can't go by without them playing in it. Much like the last poll, it will be multiple choiced.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
overworld no questions asked

(edit: actually i more like the ghost house theme but that didn't actually exist in the original game so i assume it isn't counted)

As great as Overworld BGM is, I feel it's overrated, overused, and frankly I'm sick of it constantly appearing everywhere. It's like DK Island Swing, it's a good song, but twenty million uses of it later I just wish I could play a game where it doesn't appear.

For this reason, I've voted for the Underground music. While I'm not fan of the original song, I am a fan of how they use it in later games. A lot of the time they build on the original composition and turn into a great song. I don't feel like I'm ever going to get tired of this song, because it's not the same thing every time.

Can relate because the airship theme is a masterpiece and still sounds like it could have come out of the original game.

(also @winstein the thread title should probably be updated)
OK, changed. Before I was away the poll was not changed, and I only change the title if the poll has changed so that it's not misleading.

Thank you for reading.

Far as the original game goes it's the overworld theme without a doubt, I mean it's the only tune in the game thats not just a short tune repeated over and over again.

As great as Overworld BGM is, I feel it's overrated, overused, and frankly I'm sick of it constantly appearing everywhere. It's like DK Island Swing, it's a good song, but twenty million uses of it later I just wish I could play a game where it doesn't appear.

For this reason, I've voted for the Underground music. While I'm not fan of the original song, I am a fan of how they use it in later games. A lot of the time they build on the original composition and turn into a great song. I don't feel like I'm ever going to get tired of this song, because it's not the same thing every time.
The underground music is used way more. Super Mario Bros. 3, New Super Mario Bros. DS, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. Wii all have unique overworld themes while the underground theme is the same. Some of these games may have some side levels that use the original overworld music, such as Toad Houses in New Super Mario Bros. Games but they're actually not that often used as a level theme compared to the underground music, which is THE one I'm sick of hearing.

Besides that, overworld theme is best to me because it's catchy, fits Mario's mood perfectly, and was said to have a bit, just a bit, of latin to it.

overworld is nice and bouncy and underwater is just vibin.. the rest arent much i feel.
im honestly so tired of the underground theme why is that the only ever underground music reused.. i like subterranean 1 in mario odyssey and piranha plant slide for its remixes but besides that why do you keep reusing a short 12 second loop any time you gotta go underground ever?? also it just sounsd boring i guess its great for atmosphere but . Eh

Yeah I think they should make entirely new songs that sample underground as the underground theme just screams for background bass guitar.

Like think the Peach's Castle theme for Melee. They played overworld but you hear underground theme as a background beat and that works.

honestly palace of shadow is a really neat remix of the underground theme as well as the sinister versions of smw, such as that game's ghost house and castle themes

Share the opinion of my sister, I'm frankly tired by the underground theme. Its main melody is a repetitive sound that is far more suited as a bass position than the main composition of the music. Like, I've got that idea because I've listened to licensed music that has a bass part that sounds eerily similar to the underground tune except that a far more interesting main melody is strung on top of it.

Even so, I don't think it's that good atmospherically too. It's far too simplistic to achieve a good atmospheric tune. I vastly prefer something like Tropical Freeze's attempts at ambience than the underground tune. Or Super Mario Galaxy.

Like think the Peach's Castle theme for Melee. They played overworld but you hear underground theme as a background beat and that works.

Exactly.

Last edited:
I like all the tunes in the original except the castle theme- that one's just grating. Not nearly long enough just the same chords looping over and over. The underground is pretty overused and i'd really love if more Mario games had original underground BGM's, but it's had some great uses like Palace of Shadow and Nostalgic Underground from SPM (which creatively mixed it with SPM's normal underground theme)

UnderWaterrrrr.

I like how it sounds. It's chill.

I've seen Palace of Shadow being name-dropped as a cool Underground remix... and I kinda agree with this except... it's not a good Palace of Shadow theme. At all. It's boring as a final level theme but it is a cool remix in its own right.

Back