What would you want out of a new 2D Mario game?

Sir Hattington

SMB3 > SMW
Pronouns
He/him
It seems like Nintendo does not care for traditional 2D Mario games anymore, they just pump out a New! game so they can make a quick buck off of nostalgia and children, all the games after NSMBW feel soulless. I know that Super Mario Maker 2 came out fairly recently, but I don't really care, I just want your opinions.

certainly an interesting artstyle. id love somethign like the 2d vector art, or the more handdrawn look theyve been using a ton lately. possibly even go with pixel art? theres a lot you can do here rather than just going with Generic 3D Mario
some more interesting enviroments too!! dkc tropical freeze is brought up a lot as an example of what they could potentially do with the backgrounds.. may i also bring up rayman legends too (also as a great example of incredible 2d animation). at least id like something like the 3d world theme in smm2 where the blocks and such actually look 3d

I guess I agree with @Mcmadness , 3D World looks amazing. I don't have a Switch, but have recently defeated Meowser on the Wii U version for the first time. Its graphics felt extremely powerful and I was shocked to learn it was only in 720. If not for my knowing of the Wii U's graphical limits I might have thought it was 1440 or higher, it looked that good! 3D World style on Switch looks great too. However I'd like the graphics to feel unique as well in a way and not just a rehash of 3D World's.

The only 2D Super Mario games I've played are SMB1, SML1, SML2, NSMBDS, and NSMBW. I'd say that I more or less like them in that order (SMB1 least, NSMBW most). However even the Wii version doesn't feel perfect and I often don't feel like I'm in control so much. Also the worlds were pretty generic and bland, there was no dialogue or story, it really just felt like a stereotypical Mario game, a decent execution of that for sure, but I want more than that. I want Nintendo to do something more out of the ordinary, but in a good way.

So I'd say I'd like the controls to be refined a little but other than that NSMBW doesn't feel like it can get that much better if they stick to the same formula. I'd like the presentation parts including the story parts to be greatly amplified.

Trying something new would also be great but I wouldn't know what would be a successful idea exactly.

As long as it still doesn't use archaic, tiled 2D systems with a horrible clash with 3d models, I'd be fine with it. Anything with a new art style.

You know what I'd want most, though? A Mario game in the style of the UbiArt frame-work, like Rayman Legends. Hell, make it even a Rayman and Mario crossover. That would utterly be the game of my dreams.

A game in the 2D art style will be amazing at least in the graphics department. It'll certainly elevate and set Mario apart from the arguably more beautiful games like Tropical Freeze, Kirby Star Allies, Rayman Origins. I don't how expensive or demanding it will be, can even be smaller scale. I just like to see an attempt at the very least. I think it's a fairly common fan demand, and it's been going on for a while.

Heck even if Mario Maker had a style like that it'll certainly pique my interest and that's saying something.

New world themes. Bring back Sarasaland, Mario Land, and Yoshi Island. Crossover with DKC & DK Jungle. Add spinoff worlds into the main series like Bean Bean Kingdom, the unique Kart worlds, and Donkey Kong (GB) City. Bring Mario Stadium into it with the sport enemies like Charging Chuck, Green Glove, and Slugger.

Introduce interactive world maps like the one in Cuphead. Have Mario & Luigi talk sentences.

Bring back the feather cape and goomba sock.

Make it less sterile, sterility in Mario games is the absolute bane of my existence. To me it's wasting a really diverse world Mario has at its disposal. More unexpected world themes like ones you'd find in the 3D games, RPGs, non-mainline platformers, and Kart games. If you don't want to put a RPG tier story, at least put some story. More than "5 seconds showing Bowser capturing Peach and that's all the context you get". Allow character dialogue and a story that progresses as you get closer to the end. These things will make the game stand out as something worth remembering even after we're done playing it.

Give it a 2D art style. As others have mentioned, the 2D vector promotional style would look absolutely stunning in motion for a game. And just imagine how the levels could look! Instead of having this awkward pre-rendered tileset you can have a look that's fresh and nostalgic at the same time, and that thing where the background elements go by at different speeds (forget what it's called but it would look amazing)

You know what I'd want most, though? A Mario game in the style of the UbiArt frame-work, like Rayman Legends. Hell, make it even a Rayman and Mario crossover. That would utterly be the game of my dreams.
my thoughts exactly hehe i didnt add that in my original post fbecause i guess i talk about rayman enough... anyway give me ubiart mario game
and that thing where the background elements go by at different speeds (forget what it's called but it would look amazing)
parallax scrolling!

-More unique level themes. The ones used aren't bad but are very "been there, done that" at this point. At the very least, make them feel more unique, like what Mario Maker 2 did with the 3D World theme compared to the other styles. And yes, parallax scrolling could do wonders.

-A better soundtrack. Not gonna lie, the NSMBU soundtrack is kinda uninspired and boring, not to mention that most of it is reused from its two predecessors. Mario's 3D adventures have fantastic soundtracks; take a tip from them!

-Don't fill player slots with generic colored Toads. Toadette's an improvement but is more of an easy mode character in NSMBU DX, so remove that aspect at least.

-Allow the player to carry Yoshis between levels, like World did. NSMBU had Baby Yoshis at least, so that's something.

-Remove time limits, please! Players should be able to explore to their heart's content, without regard to that awful clock in the corner.

-Don't throw players back to the world map when they die. Better yet, more frequent checkpoints could do wonders.

-Full 3D world maps. Mario 3D World and Kirby Star Allies made me fall in love with this concept and I want to see more of it.

-Sub-games! No harm in making little diversions from the main game when players want a little break. Kirby makes sure to include some in every game these days, but Mario is no stranger to this either: just look at Mario 64 DS and New Mario 1!

-I'll end this with a more controversial suggestion, but at least try to put more emphasis on story and original characters in 2D Mario. Most 3D Mario games have just enough of this to add an extra layer of personality, and Kirby's good with this too. Why not give it a try with 2D Mario?

I really don't care as long as the cutscenes aren't hours long

Time for the boring, generic answer of "As long as it's fun and playable, I guess.", I guess.

I mean... yeah, that's all I really want.

Twould be cool if Ninjis appeared in it too.

if we're talking a new 'mainline' platformer, i'd like to see something that's generally more creative. you can keep the minimal story, but have some fun with new ideas, locations and a fresh coat of paint/new artstyle. maybe a new premise as well to help bring it all together

i also think it'd be neat to see more entries starring other characters, like peach, toad, daisy, etc.

Shake It art bad
that's the first time I've ever heard that opinion. Maybe you just can't stand how Wario moves in that game because I know I can't.

But he also gets to be on fire too, so that's almost redeemable!
FlamingWarioShakeIt.png

You know what I'd want most, though? A Mario game in the style of the UbiArt frame-work, like Rayman Legends.
there's actually a fan made Super Mario Super Show game being developed by a father and his kids, which fits this description.
Anyway, vector based 2d seems to be the most requested art style, but imagine something like, Kirby: And The Crystal Shards, with Odyssey level graphics and atmosphere. That'd be sick!
While browsing this thread it might seem hopeless that we'll ever get a non-New 2d Mario Game, but heck if I ever expected a game like Odyssey to come out. So maybe someday your dream game will come out.

They did mention that the levels people make in Super Mario Maker 2 were going to be used as a guideline for how the next 2D Mario game should be.

Which to me means we're going to get FAR less water levels.

Yeah! I know about that Super Show game. Unfortunatey, it doesn't seem to be released to public, which is a disappointment. I think honestly it should be released SO aspiring game developers can see how it's put together. There can be multiple reasons to not allow it, from odious asset flippers to Nintendo's legal intimidation of fan game developers.

I'd really like the idea of a moving camera like in Kirby: Crystal Shards, which shows off the 3D. I haven't played that one in a while, but I hope it doesn't interfere with precision platforming.

Eh maybe I'm pessimistic but even Rayman's having trouble getting his own games, I just can't see Mario getting a game before Rayman does.

They did mention that the levels people make in Super Mario Maker 2 were going to be used as a guideline for how the next 2D Mario game should be.

they should just fix the water levels to begin with; Rayman Origins made the water levels actually fun so it can definitely be done.

Wa-hoo! I just hope they only base them off traditional levels. Not...refreshing remix things

It hasn't been released to the public yet, because it isn't finished. There isn't much beyond a simplistic first level so far, in terms of Gameplay.
Yeah! I know about that Super Show game. Unfortunatey, it doesn't seem to be released to public, which is a disappointment. I think honestly it should be released SO aspiring game developers can see how it's put together. There can be multiple reasons to not allow it, from odious asset flippers to Nintendo's legal intimidation of fan game developers.

I'd really like the idea of a moving camera like in Kirby: Crystal Shards, which shows off the 3D. I haven't played that one in a while, but I hope it doesn't interfere with precision platforming.

I thought the game wasn't released yet just because it wasn't finished. So far all they did was just the first level. Also it never did get in the way of the platforming. IIRC sometimes it was used to obscure secrets, but I could be misremembering

From the description, it says "This game will not be released to the public and I do not intend to sell the game. My intent is to inspire future young creators to make games[...]" So I assume it's just some project someone just wants to show off and inspire people? 😦

Kirby's not really about precision platforming. I haven't seen other 2.5D games that play like Kirby 64, so I kind of wonder why it's like this? Still looks a lot better than the New Super fare we currently have.

Back