New ideas for powerups

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
What is your idea for a new power up in the Mario series?
One idea I have is a surfboard that let's you summon waves and ride them, the downside is that if you get hit, you drop like a rock.

Another idea is a pasta power up in a 3d game that is rare but automatically restores all of your health and gives you an extra life to boot

I feel the chicken suit alone would make my life. I know there was a planned Chicken Suit that was likely scrapped in favor for the Penguin Suit.

NSMBW_Unused_Chicken_Suit_Concept_Art.jpg

There's also an unused idea for a cloud Mario suit, and I feel developers can work from this
SMG2conceptart2.png

As for entirely new ideas, huh, well, a lot of ideas swimming in my head are cribbed from other games and other media such as thinking about Mario hurling his disjointed fist like an ARMS character or Rayman. I like the idea of Mario surfing, but I think it'll be a lot cooler if Mario can spawn fire waves to surf.

a surfboard does sound cool yea. sounds like something that could let you really speedrun the levels
anyway i remember that dog mario thing on new year 2019? everyone was wondering if it lead anywhere but it didnt. itd be an interesting counterpart to the cat powerup but im not sure what itd even do
oh and in a convo discussig dog mario recently someone brought up rat mario and i ended up drawing that
unknown.png

it could be neat
ok i have no ideas

A Ty-foo powerup would be nice. Basically a wind-based powerup and unlike Cloud Mario, allows Mario to blow enemies away, or propel himself further in air. In general I would love more powerups inspired by enemies.

Thank you for reading.

I've always wanted to have a Mario game that let's you combine power-ups. Like flicking a tail as Raccoon Mario and subsequently spawning a fireball like Fire Mario.
Or once you start flying as Raccoon Mario the tail leaves a trail of ice (Ice Mario) that blocks Bullet Bills (or at least acts as a line of defense against them).
EDIT: I actually thought this up before I knew Kirby did it first, let alone before I knew Kirby.

Last edited:
Dark Mario

Works similar to Fire/Ice Mario, except he throws globs of dark matter which can be aimed and upon hitting an enemy, said enemy disintegrates and releases a shockwave that kills nearby enemies. However only one glob can be out at a time. Can be charged for a bigger shockwave. Also all his voice clips sound pissed off and there's a subtle chaotic ambiance around him.

TG once had this idea where we could have...

AnT mArIo!

I think I recall the powerup making you able to walk on any surface. Just a better Cat Suit without the claws, basically.

Oh yeah the item was a corn.

Though I guess if for whatever reason they decided to discard Yoshi for one game they could just make a powerup based on his abilities. Not something out of left-field tbh.

y'know, something that'd make Mario run up on walls would be awesome! I guess the cat suit is kind of like that, but this would be full 360 degree movement on a wall as long as you're running, like a more controllable version of the Pepper Yoshi. I feel like you could do a lot of cool platforming challenges with this. Not sure what'd they base it off of. Maybe a Spike Top suit? Or maybe a Fire Bro suit, which let's you turn into a flaming shell when you're at max speed.

Aha, well, Rayman Origins and Legends have that feature. Maybe not even have it as a "powerup", just make it so if Mario runs fast enough, he can run up curved slopes. But that concept's been done even in Mario before: Superstar Mario from the Yoshi's Island games lets Baby Mario run up walls.

I will never understand those red pillars in Shifting Sand Land though.

Well, characters can also walk and they'd still be able to walk on the walls? IDK but I remember joking about Prince of Persia lol.

a surfboard does sound cool yea. sounds like something that could let you really speedrun the levels
anyway i remember that dog mario thing on new year 2019? everyone was wondering if it lead anywhere but it didnt. itd be an interesting counterpart to the cat powerup but im not sure what itd even do
oh and in a convo discussig dog mario recently someone brought up rat mario and i ended up drawing that
unknown.png

it could be neat
ok i have no ideas
Mouser Mario, throws bombs.
Aha, well, Rayman Origins and Legends have that feature. Maybe not even have it as a "powerup", just make it so if Mario runs fast enough, he can run up curved slopes. But that concept's been done even in Mario before: Superstar Mario from the Yoshi's Island games lets Baby Mario run up walls.

I will never understand those red pillars in Shifting Sand Land though.
Baby Mario as a form, I love it.

Though many will say it's not a power-up, the Mini Mushroom DOES let you run up walls (and run on the ceiling too if I remember right) as of NSMBU. Not that I'd want that to return, it's a OHKO "power-up". Rather have something that does it that let's you take a hit without dying; in fact, that might raise the danger as you would suddenly start falling, perhaps into a pit if you were on a ceiling.

Dark Mario

Works similar to Fire/Ice Mario, except he throws globs of dark matter which can be aimed and upon hitting an enemy, said enemy disintegrates and releases a shockwave that kills nearby enemies. However only one glob can be out at a time. Can be charged for a bigger shockwave. Also all his voice clips sound pissed off and there's a subtle chaotic ambiance around him.

Sounds like Gold Mario without the benefit of leaving money behind.

Some ideas of mine I'd like to share:

Falcon Mario (from "Falcon Suit") - Mario gains a suit that resembles a falcon; with wings and talons included. Mobility functions similarly to Kirby's Wing Copy Ability, but getting a running start allows Mario to fly in a similar fashion to his Cape power-up. Performing a Ground Pound near an enemy instead becomes a homing attack making use of the talons. Liftable objects are also carried with the talons, allowing Mario to fly while holding something (can be used to defeat enemies by dropping things on them from above).

Volt Mario (reworked from Volt Shroom) - Retains the canonical function of the Volt Shroom from the early Paper Mario games; electrifying Mario's body so that direct attackers receive damage. Now as a fully fledged power-up, it would include the power to shoot lighting bolts at enemies, making a killer combination of offense and defense (indirect attacks would still be an issue). I can also see this ability being used for quite a few relevant puzzles in a 3D platformer. Like the Fire and Ice forms, Mario's normal outfit is retained but recolored to resemble his current ability.

Ninja Mario (from a "Ninja Star") - gives Mario a ninja-themed outfit. Grants faster running speed, shurikens as projectiles, can hold on to walls indefinitely, and create substitutes. Can also run on the surface of water with enough speed.

Back