What are people's thoughs on Shrek in Smash?

Bob Craples

went out for milk
Pronouns
He/Him
I mean, I think would be funny, but you know.

honestly. as memey as it is if he was actually announced i would be confused at first and then probably just mad. id rather not

Doesn't matter what my thoughts on it are, the only rule when it comes to characters entering Smash is they have to be from a video game originally. Shrek is a movie character first, video game character last.

I like Shrek as a character but I'd find it more annoying than funny. "video game characters only" is the one rule I truly never want to see broken and if it were I still wouldn't choose him

I simply prefer Smash as a celebration of video games and feel there are plenty of other interesting characters and worlds that they could visit for the series instead of going for the meme

Eh, I just see it as a massive crossover and wouldn't complain about Shrek joining in.

But even if they did break the VG boundary...

There are way more interesting movie characters than Shrek out there. Like, I wouldn't see him get in evenif the only VG chars rule wasn't a thing.
I agree, but Shrek isn't one I would dissapprove of. If they added Starfire to smash rip my pocket money.

Shrek is better as a poor quality fan import over like Ganondorf or Incineroar.

If they absolutely need to add an animated character from movies, why him, out of all things?

Not gonna lie, if Dreamworks made their own rip off game of Smash Bros, I'd play it at least once. More than once if it's made well.

Shrek in Smash would be going WAY too far. There are always going to be characters that make you think Nintendo has lost their minds, but Shrek is on a whole new level. Shrek's inclusion would honestly make the whole game feel like a joke.

Bowser the Second has a point, Shrek's never been with any of the smash cast before. Adam Sandler however, has met Pac-Man.

Side note, what if Donkey Kong had a Wreck-it-Ralph skin?

The only non-VG character I think would actually have even a small chance of getting in, and who I'd actually be hype about, is Wreck-it Ralph. Only because his first movie is literally video game themed and full of gaming cameos including Nintendo, and in his universe he is a game character. So Fix-it Felix Jr. would fit perfectly as a Smash stage and Ralph would work as a character.

As much as Shrek is memed, I feel in the long run he's pretty random even by non-VG character standards.

Also, Wreck-it Ralph was playable in a Sega All-Stars Racing game.

So let's get Danica Patrick in Smash too while we're at it.

there's no way it could (or should) happen. smash is just for video game characters
the only non-video game original character i can see making it in is goku, only because there are a lot of popular dragon ball video games, dating waaay back even into the NES era (dragon balls history in the video game market is far more prolific than shreks) not to mention that dragon ball is still popular and relevant in its home market and even overseas compared to shrek who only really has a weird subset of ironic internet memers who would actually want to see him get in
honestly, even other anime characters like naruto or luffy have better chances of getting in than shrek does, and they probably deserve it more than him anyway tbh.

Why only VG chars?
My personal viewpoint is that putting non-video game characters make age comparison between characters more complicated than it needs to be. Some of Smash's fighters are highlighted by their age, namely Pac-Man (his trailer pointedly marked him as old as Mr. Game & Watch at 1980, while Mario and Donkey Kong as one year younger than them) and Terry Bogard (the SNK console is placed parallel to the Nintendo consoles timeline in his trailer).

So taking an unrelated and my go-to example: if Garfield were a Smash fighter, that would mean that he would be the oldest Smash fighter (he's actually as old as Space Invaders, by the way), but the thing is, Garfield is NOT an early character in his home medium, so his presence would be awkward because, would Garfield be revered because of his age similar to something like Space Invaders? There's also the fact that Garfield's video games are all over the place.

Shrek is on the young side, which would probably not be as much of an issue on the age front, but his video games are similarly all over the place, so it would be awkward because I imagine there will be licensing involved if they were to be re-released, and probably more difficult (and not worth the hassle) than what was dealt with Square-Enix.

Plus, if there's another "Everybody is Here!" event, getting the band together again would be similarly complicated.

Thank you for reading.

The most realistic part is how to make the contracts work equally. In current Smash bros, the 3rd party game companies are willing to make benefit transfer with Nintendo since Nintendo can dominate the partnership via their consoles. But outside that, with any comic/cartoon/novel workers or comapnies, we don't really know. I think the only possible scenario is that those companies come volunteerly and provide a cheap contract for NIntendo to consider it.

Well I cannot say it's impossible, since SEGA did invite Danica and Ralph outside the 3rd party wall in their allstars game. But SEGA is SEGA, NIntendo and Smash bros might be different?

I wouldn't stick to the video game only rule as well, since I'd rather just stick to NnItendo only rule instead. Just in DLCs I'm fine with any decision as long as they do make money.

If they added "All Star" to Smash... would that mean they would bring back a true All-Star Mode?

Back