What do you all think of the New Super Mario Bros. games?

I've played through every single one and beaten them all 100%! I think they're pretty good games and I always have fun playing them!

I liked DS and Wii and I got burnout from those games past that.

It's amazing that even though the DS version was the first iteration, it still remained the most unique New Super Mario Bros. game since it has unique bosses and a mode that prevents going backwards. That one I felt is creative and should be given a go, even though it's also the easiest of the lot. I do like U because it's pretty well-crafted, but 2 is while well-crafted, not the most exciting since coins will lead to insignificant rewards like that gold Mario statue.

Thank you for reading.

i liked how ds had world 4 and world 7 locked behind specific unlock conditions, though the mini mushroom remains to be my least favorite power-up in the series. i can never get over the horror of requiring to use it in a world 8 level where you had to backtrack to get it in reserve iirc.

I quite enjoy them, similar as they may be. NSMBU is my favorite. I can see the reason behind the hate though, because four very similar games within six years can be a bit excessive (and two of them were in the same year, at that).

We haven't seen a new NSMB game for over seven years, though, with the closest we've gotten being the Mario Maker duology. I suppose they won't be coming out for another proper 2D Mario for quite a while longer.

I like them well enough. The DS one holds nostalgic value of when I first got a DS, alongside SM64DS. After Wii though, they started getting a bit too samey and stale. In particular I don't like how the stagnant aesthetic direction from these games has so heavily influenced most of the spinoffs, whereas before they often did their own thing artistically and became more distinct that way.

In terms of gameplay though, they are solid platformers. And as much as I find the aesthetic of NSMB tired, I still think it's a worthy style in the Super Mario Maker games, for the mechanics it brings. Honestly I have so much muscle memory of twirling from the NSMB theme in SMM, that I often screw myself trying to do it in the 3D World style, where twirling slows your momentum.

Hopefully though the next proper 2D Mario goes in a different direction stylistically. Maybe a proper HD sprite-based game using the style from 3D World's life icons.

I don't care if they look like each other. Good-looking games with good level design and good old Mario gameplay.

This is really all I need to be satisfied. Don't try to fix what ain't broken, guys.

The NSMB games were good at first with NSMB DS and Wii but the series has been less innovative since NSMB2. I think Super Mario Run had more features to offer like more characters like Peach and Daisy. I hope NSMB Switch will stand out and be more innovative.

NSMB DS and Wii were good, DS was the first of its kind in 12 years and Wii was the first on a console in 19 years.

But then they just rehashed with 2 and U and everyone's tired of it. Tbh the gameplay and level design are fine, the power-ups are good, the characters (albeit generic) are fine as well...but they're all things we've seen four times in the span of 7 years (discounting the objectively worse U port on Switch)! I think they need to scrap the series and start over with a Super Mario Bros. 5 or something and include new level themes and more creative gameplay elements.

DS and U are probably the best of the four, with U Deluxe being the best version of U.

On a personal level, I also like 2 more than Wii, though that's apparently heresy in most circles.

I agree with most in this thread that DS and Wii were good but it got stale after that. Wii is my favorite, DS is good, U is unoriginal but still has some unique stuff, and 2 is basically just Wii except easier and without multiplayer. I'd like them to do something fresh for the next 2D game (be it NSMB or not), with stuff like lots of playable characters, a new art style, all new music, possibly a new setting like Dinosaur Land from SMW, etc.

I'm not a fan of the DS games, I've never really got on with the control scheme and as such haven't played much of them, but I do like the Wii ones. I haven't completed any of them 100% but we have completed the main story in Wii and U, and we're nearly there on U. I'd like to see the series go on for a bit longer, but with some more variety in enemies, level theme, etc..

While I'd personally like to see the future of 2D Mario go in a different direction, the NSMB series are good games nonetheless. My favorite one would either have to be the original NSMB or NSMBU.

I agree with most in this thread that DS and Wii were good but it got stale after that. Wii is my favorite, DS is good, U is unoriginal but still has some unique stuff, and 2 is basically just Wii except easier and without multiplayer. I'd like them to do something fresh for the next 2D game (be it NSMB or not), with stuff like lots of playable characters, a new art style, all new music, possibly a new setting like Dinosaur Land from SMW, etc.
I have had ideas for New Super Mario Bros. Switch in return for NSMBU Deluxe. I've made videos countless times and thousands of posts on here and GameFAQs. Some of those ideas include Peach and Daisy being playable which they managed to do in Super Mario Run which is a stripped down NSMB game for smartphones/tablets and whatnot. I honestly would like to see Peach use power ups again and be able to use power ups she couldn't use in 3D World such as the Ice Flower and Propeller Suit which she was only has been able to do due to StupidMarioBros1Fan's mod. Daisy needs to use power ups too, officially and not with some mod by StupidMarioBros1Fan, because Daisy can't officially because Super Mario Run is so stripped down that it does not have the Fire or Ice power-ups at all. I also had an idea of having Power-up crashes that take inspiration from the Item crashes in Castlevania games from Rondo of Blood onwards, as well as ditching lives and the timer which would help freshen things up and make NSMB new and fresh again. Those are things I've said a lot in my videos and in my posts here and on GameFAQS.

I really enjoy the games and I think they're worthy continuations of the first four classic Mario platformers (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World sorry Super Mario Land 1 & 2, haven't played ya yet, arguably superior to them. It's just that after New Super Mario Bros. Wii, they put their releases way too close to each other while not really developing and improving the gameplay (like Super Mario Run had parkour animations, how fun would that be if Mario flipped and rolled way more often!; why not have the artstyle be entirely in 2D vector art you see in promotional material and Mario Party Star Rush; why not have Waluigi and Wario and Daisy and Donkey Kong available?, why not integrate Mario vs Luigi as maybe combat levels?, why not have more creative world themes that allow for more interesting level design like gravity changes? why not some schmup segments? there's a lot of ideas swimming around and people have been talking about them for a very long time, some even being present in mods or fangames). New Super Mario Bros. 2 could've been a really solid game if other Mario games weren't a thing.

The New Super Mario Bros. games were really good in unifying the themes. People complained about assets and designs from those games but I feel they hold no water. We tried the Mushroom Kingdom stage in Odyssey with nary anything recognizable and it turned out to be a pretty lifeless and lacking kingdom and everything seems really painfully generic. There's something about the stage that seems really, really off about it, like it's a generic bootleg Mario environment but the characters are genuine. It would've benefited from having way more recognizable motifs from New Super Mario Bros. games. It's a good argument for why we need New Super Mario Bros. theming in Mario games especially in games where Mushroom Kingdom is only a level.

>New setting
>Dinosaur Land from SMW

What did he mean by this?

>New setting
>Dinosaur Land from SMW

What did he mean by this?
Probably meant by how Dinosaur Land was a new setting for its time, so he wanted a new setting entirely. Though, we did get Sprixie Kingdom... which could've fooled me if they just said it was Mushroom Kingdrom.

Silly goose.

I love the DS one, the multiplayer modes were so much fun when I played with my cousins. Wii and 2 are alright, albeit a bit too easy, especially 2, even if collecting coins were a fun thing to do. I like NSMBU's challenges and Luigi DLC, but I wish there was a bit more stuff added to it.

Probably meant by how Dinosaur Land was a new setting for its time, so he wanted a new setting entirely. Though, we did get Sprixie Kingdom... which could've fooled me if they just said it was Mushroom Kingdrom.

Silly goose.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

The DS one was fun, especially with the VS mode and the multiplayer minigames. The Wii one is fun with 4 players. 2 is probably my least favorite due to basically being a stripped down version of Wii. U was fine, but Luigi U is good.

Back