Dr. Mario World

973E83A7-CA67-4313-8CF1-72D2F2A0AC37.jpeg

a few renders like yoshi and wario and i think petey also seemingly lifted their poses from fan renders of all things
theres also some pics, https://www.mariowiki.com/Gallery:Dr._Mario_World#"Character(s)_added"_screens like here, that have more renders w/out transparency
Don't forget Petey's render as well
and Dr Baby Rosalina render from "Character added screen" looks like that fan render from Mariowiki: BJAODN.

So far, we had Pokémon Shuffle Mobile that made all its content available through events in automated rotation and was kept up, and the gacha Sonic Runners that was indeed resold as the premium Sonic Runners Adventure with most of the event content removed but still the core game and soundtrack intact.

Similarly, Super Mario Run is still up, the main reason I can see for those games staying up is the actual load on the servers: in Super Mario Run the main load on the server is just the storing of Toad Rally ghosts and the communication needed to start the game - and download the assets the first time the game runs. Similarly, Pokémon Shuffle Mobile only stores the scores of the players in some events.

Sadly, Dr. Mario World has instead a greater load on the servers with even less revenue, still it would be nice if they pulled a Sonic Runners and made it a standalone premium game, Miitomo so far isn't a sign of good omen though.
I would also say that Super Mario Run still running events like "Loads of Coins", "1.5x Bonus Medals", "Friendly Run", "Weekend Spotlight", though maybe in an automated rotation.
I believe they discontinued "Gold Goomba Events", and haven't done a "New Year event rush" in the last year (like what they did in the end of 2018 and 2019). So I would guess this game is now running on automated service.

I would also say that Super Mario Run still running events like "Loads of Coins", "1.5x Bonus Medals", "Friendly Run", "Weekend Spotlight", though maybe in an automated rotation.
I believe they discontinued "Gold Goomba Events", and haven't done a "New Year event rush" in the last year (like what they did in the end of 2018 and 2019). So I would guess this game is now running on automated service.
Yes, it definitely looks like an automated event schedule. What is less known is that Super Mario Run still generates revenue: $260k last month. I doubt that maintaining the servers up costs as much.

In this sense I'm under the impression that they severely underestimated the revenue that popular one-time purchase games can give. Even when they no longer are updated beyond basic maintenance they still are a complete package that people are willing to buy, and their revenue is spread over several years. It's not the flashy revenue of the f2p games nor the humongous short term numbers of Switch games ($260k basically means 26k full games sold in one month), but over time these numbers accumulate, and the life time of these apps can be very long.

I wonder if lack of sales and interest in Dr. Mario games has to do with the Covid world we live in. With a pandemic, doctors and medical stuff can become reminders of the pandemic, and there is a lack of escapism like other Mario titles.

I don't think the low Dr. Mario World spending has much to do with Covid. I think it's mainly because the IAPs kinda suck and Dr. Mario is pretty niche, not to mention it has stiff competition from other mobile entries.

It's pretty much agreed that Dr. Mario World's incentives to purchase is rather non-aggressive, since there aren't much in the way of distracting or coercing the player in spending money. In fact, it's very much possible to complete the game without spending money. The main reason I spent money on this game is that it is a game I would love to see continue. Fun fact: players who spent money on this game before the update that practically winded down this game's services, even at the lowest-possible price, gets unlimited hearts for the remainder of this game's lifespan.

In versus this is the final season, which I predict will end days before the game shutdown proper, because versus seasons will reward coins/tokens and there should be a way to spend them.

It's fun while it lasted, where I managed to 100% every character and got 3 stars in every stage and Skill Summit. I don't foresee myself investing in another game that is a live-service one, since I doubt I can even achieve a complete collection.

Thank you for reading.

What's the latest buzz on the game's archivation efforts? How does one even archive an event-based mobile game?

Someone's recreating the game from scratch, and they do have access to the source code.

Unfortunately, stuff like the online interactivity likely won't be available since it's a huge amount of work.

At the end of November, yes.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back