Your "head anti-canons"

Re: Established in-universe fact/explanation in Games that you Don't Support

Mario Party X said:
Lord Fawful DX said:
I for one will take SPM's lore any day over having everything that could remotely be compared to a legitimate backstory eradicated with a giant thick eraser like what happened after that game. It may have went a little far with how it was written but I don't think the optional history dialogues should've been canned, they made for good reads and added history to a universe that I'm invested in. While not being so incredibly pivotal to the main plot to the point where there are plot holes if you don't listen to the historian. If say, the main plot had constantly referenced the Pixl war enough to leave holes if you play the story without talking to the guy, that would've been a different story. But it's side content and I'd rather have it than not have it.
I have to disagree. After learning about Kingdom Hearts "lore" I think I am actually grateful the Mario series dropped all the bullshit nonsense before we get things like Darkness Prophecy Heart Paper Darkness Mario 2.93. This shit detracts from your game because you have no clue whats going on, and it's real shallow when all motivation for anyone is just because some dumbfuck book.

I'm sorry but Paper Mario "deepness" is as thin as a kiddy pool. And I mean any old kiddy pool at Walmart.
It's fine to have that opinion but I don't think that can detract from the game when it's entirely optional to even hear about. It's there for people who like it, and can be ignored for people who don't.

Well if they are going to bother with such things fine, just make it less stupid.

Or stupid on purpose. I can't take something called the "pixl war" seriously in any context.

The stupid part is that Pixls are goofy shape critters with Mario-Power-Up-Eyes and yet they have a dark serious backstory. I love that kind of meshing of flavors.

To me, it's mood whiplash.

Had it been it's own thing from the start instead of part of Mario, it wouldn't bother me.

Hell one of my favourite games (Mother 3) is silly cartoonish shit with horrible tragedy.

But when it's suddenly applied to something that for about 2 decades or so has never had such things, I just find it more irritating and out of place than anything else.

Sort of a less extreme bomberman act zero.

So what's your stance on the Kingdom Hearts lore where they do lob all of this darkness nonsense onto Disney IPs?

Well, considering how Disney movies can get pretty fucked up at times, it's not that big a deal.

What is a big deal is how convoluted, poorly written and nonsensical it all is.

Well for starters I don't really support the idea of Super Mario Bros. 3 being a staged play in-universe or the Paper Mario universe being a separate world entirely contained within a book.

The fact that it's all in a book makes it a lot easier for me to ignore it so that's fine with me.

I've always regarded Paper Mario as not the same person as Mario so I support that too

I prefer to think Vivian exists in the standard Mario world thanks

And you can. Won't mean anything as there is no standard mario world but hey, headcanons are fun.

Lord Fawful DX said:
I prefer to think Vivian exists in the standard Mario world thanks
I can't help but read your post as if I forced you into thinking the opposite.

Yoshi's New Island didn't happen.

the one where miyamoto said mario is 24

youre not fooling anybody, mario

I'm actually kind of okay with that one, mainly because Mario doesn't really look like the Ossan that he was once described as. If you shave the 'stache, he could probably pass for someone in their mid-to-late 20s.

Lord Fawful DX said:
Who said someone in their 20s isn't allowed to have a bushy mustache?

I'm a living proof.

I'm under my 20s and I have a bushier than average mustache.

well idk maybe he could pass as 24, but i like to think of mario as the kind of person who's older than he looks because he takes great care of himself

i could see him being 35 like j-yoshi above me

Ashley isn't 15. Treehouse's nuts

She looks a lot younger than that.

Mcmadness said:
She looks a lot younger than that.

Not only that but in the Japanese script of the games, Ashley talks about herself in the third person, which in Japanese is basically something only Stupid Babies do

Back