Mario characters you used to hate/dislike but then started to love/like them.

NanoPhoenix said:
While there hasn't been a Mario character that I genuinely "hated" or "disliked"
I thought you had strong opinions on Luigi because of the Luigi fanbase at some point, that you didn't like how some parts of the Luigi fanbase demonizes Mario.

MarioFan632 said:
I think the reason why I've stopped hating Baby Luigi is because I felt bad for hating BabyLuigiOnFire's favorite character.

As sweet as that is, you should just learn to hate whatever character you like, I'm not going to breathe you down on it or take it personally if you do.

Mario Party X said:
NanoPhoenix said:
While there hasn't been a Mario character that I genuinely "hated" or "disliked"
I thought you had strong opinions on Luigi because of the Luigi fanbase at some point, that you didn't like how some parts of the Luigi fanbase demonizes Mario.

In retrospect I was more or less just bitter and acting admittedly rather immaturely after reading one too many "Weegee iz beddar than dat mean 'ol Mayro" comments on YouTube and across various other places on the internet, but truthfully I didn't actually dislike Luigi.

I do feel a sense of remorse for the posts that I made on my old account and on GameFAQs around that time.

As a kid, the character I hated was Bowser solely because he was the main villain; his actions in the Mario Party games only adding more fuel to the fire...!

But as I got older and started paying more attention to things like the story and characterization, I began to see how much of an entertaining character Bowser was. He's not just your run-of-the-mill monster king; the dude's got a personality, and while yes, there's no doubt he's evil, he's not just a cold, merciless dictator (as seen by the genuine parental care he has for his son).

Though new villains in the series would be nice to have every now and then, I honestly could never get tired of seeing the Koopa king cause more mayhem for Mario to put a stop to!

Baby Luigi said:
MarioFan632 said:
I think the reason why I've stopped hating Baby Luigi is because I felt bad for hating BabyLuigiOnFire's favorite character.

As sweet as that is, you should just learn to hate whatever character you like, I'm not going to breathe you down on it or take it personally if you do.

If anything, as much as I love the dog, sometimes, haters say the funniest shit.

When I was younger, I thought Dixie was kind of a dumb character. I guess I thought she looked kinda ugly. Tropical Freeze single handedly turned me to a full DK fan, and now I really appreciate Dixie. She should have been in DK64.

Of the characters I don't have a strong first impression in, which would be between Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Bowser and Rosalina, Daisy is the only one I ended up liking, while the others I still am indifferent to for various reasons. I think what sold me on Daisy is how unique she is compared to the others, since she is pretty energetic and loud, and while she has the same doll-like mould as Peach and Rosalina, it's still variety.

Thank you for reading.

Believe it or not, Yoshi used to be my absolute favorite character for the longest time. I really didn't like Mario at all, and Luigi was a character I was meh about. It was mostly because he was non-human - I was in the stage in my life that liking human characters was difficult for me because I didn't relate that well to people.

Uh, wow, that was kind of personal. Anyway...

Clearly, Luigi is my favorite now. He's just adorable. Mario took a bit longer to warm up to me because I used to be one of those Luigi fans, the ones who believed that Mario was boring compared to him and kept stealing his spotlight. I've seen the light now and Mario and Luigi are really two sides of the same coin and one could not really flourish without the other.

As for Yoshi? Still like him, but he's no longer my favorite and since I'm past that period in my life where people give me hives, I've realized that Yoshi is mainly just a cute dinosaur... Nothing else is really going for him, unlike other Mario characters who are far more unique by comparison.

Yeah, in early stages of life, human characters tend to appear as boring when there's more varied species in the same piece of media. In the end, it comes down to the character themselves, not what they are, something I came to realize with time myself.

Doesn't stop me from being a bit of a furry though (by a bit I mean more than I would've admitted a few weeks back)

I used to dislike Petey Piranha. Mainly because he would make me a bit frustrated when passing me in Double Dash.
But as of late, he's growing on me. He's a funny looking piranha mutant.

I used to really dislike Bowser Junior. Because he messed up Delfino and framed Mario for the mess, and his crying when losing in Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Golf Toadstool Tour can get ear piercingly annoying.
But as the years went by, he very slowly grew on me, and after that Nintendo Switch parenting video, I grew to love him after seeing how great of a dad Bowser is. :bowjr:

I also used to dislike Bowser, all because he'd keep kidnapping Peach all the time.
But the Koopa demon grew on me as the years went by. And I grew to love him when he became partially playable in Mario Party 10. :bowser:

I wasn't always that fond of Rosalina. I thought she was kind of a bland Peach wannabe. See. It had nothing to do with Daisy.
But in recent years, after her appearance in Mario Party 10, she very slowly grew on me, and after remembering how sad her backstory was, and seeing how nicely detailed and shiny her Mario amiibo is, I grew to love her. :rosalina:

I wasn't always fond of Pauline. I thought she was a bland damsel-in-distress, and her Jump Up, Superstar song I found annoying after a while.
But even so, she very slowly grew on me after Odyssey. And after realising the little development she got in Odyssey, and after hearing she'll be making her playable debut in Mario Tennis Aces, I grew to love the New Donk City mayor, and her Jump Up Superstar song is very slowly growing on me.

King Dedede said:
When I was little, I disliked Wario and Waluigi because they were ugly. Now I like them a whole lot, primarily because of how hilarious they are.

The whole "Waluigi in Smash" thing did nothing to affect my like for Waluigi.
Oh yeah, I should probably add how I used to find Prince Peasley annoying (I don't like my screen turning into a bunch of rainbow colors). And then, when I encountered that blasted ice fairy at the top of Joke's End in the same game, I thought "you know, he really isn't that bad." As the game went on he grew on me, and now I think he's cool and I like him a bit.

Bowser Jr was one that I didn't like much at all (which partially comes from his very long crying voice clip in MKDD), but over the years, I've come to at least find him likeable

Am I the only one in the forum who finds that crying Bowser Jr. funny?

Nah.

Bowser Jr was my first ever punching bag, when I was a kid. Not so much now, but I used to love beating him up. His Mario Power Tennis losing animation is legendary.

That and I loved defeating all Koopalings in NSMBWii because they made funny noises.

I should also mention King K. Rool. As a Fire Emblem fan, I've had to deal with his absolutely horrid fanbase blaming FE (particularly Lucina and Corrin) for why he didn't get into Smash 4, and I even groaned at first when they revealed him for Smash Ultimate. But one spectacular Smash release and masterfully designed amiibo later, and he's one of my favorite characters in the expanded Mario universe.

For some reason, I reaaaaaally disliked Boo. I don't know why, I just did. But then I grew to really like him and he is one of my favorite characters now. I also really disliked Wario but then I liked him but in the sense of love-to-beat-him-up (similar to LeftyGreenMario and Baby Luigi) :P

Back