What characters would you like to see as DLC for Smash Bros?

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
This thread is all about the characters that you would love to see as DLC fighters for Smash Bros.

For me, I would love to see Roll, Maria Renard (her adult self, from Castlevania, more specifically Castlevania: Symphony of the Night), Bill Rizer (from Contra, along with Lance Bean as an echo), and the King of Pop, Michael Jackson (because he had Moonwalker for the arcades and the Genesis/Mega Drive and even the Master System, composed some of the music for Sonic 3, had a character based after him and voiced by him in Space Channel 5 called Space Michael, featured as a boxer in Ready 2 Rumble Round 2 Boxing, and had The Experience).

I would especially love to see Roll be unique from Mega Man, like have her move set based on what she played like in Mega Man Powered Up with her broom and other weapons based on her alternate outfits in Mega Man Powered Up. I would love to see Maria be a half echo and half original fighter with her being a half echo of Michael Jackson (based on part of his moveset from Moonwalker for the Genesis/Mega Drive and the Master System) with her kicking (which she did in the Sega Saturn version of her playable appearance in Symphony of the Night) along with her using Osca the Owl for some other attacks along with her animal buddies for her final Smash where she does the Thriller dance.

Bill Rizer and Lance Bean from Contra would be very well awesome to have because Contra is one of Konami's greatest games of all time and Contra is one of the NES's iconic 3rd party franchises. Contra would be fit for Smash. I mean Contra can't be left out.

I would be excited to both see both Maria Renard and Roll be female representatives for their own franchises, Castlevania and Mega Man respectively. Both characters are awesome with their abilities and are great characters to be used as female reps. I love both of them and would be happy to see them. Maria Renard is one of my all time favorite Castlevania girls and one of my favorite Castlevania characters next to Simon Belmont, Alucard, and Leon Belmont.

Harrier from Space Harrier

Ok... hard... O guess I'll go with the mindset that spirits don't deconfirm anyone.

latest

I don't think anyone expects Dark Matter Swordsman... if that makes him eligible, then I am more down to his inclusion than I was for Bandana Dee. Being Dark Matter, he can create anything from just memory, which means his moveset could borrow from all Final Bosses in the Kirby series since the majority seems like it's got a connection to Dark Matter somehow. With it, should come a Hyper Zone stage, whose background can switch from the trippy D3 Hyper Zone to the Kirby 64 one. I can see some people saying "He's just another sword fighter!" but I did specify what his moveset could be like, so no one has any reason to believe that. For accompanying music, I'd say these could be some that could be imported or remixed.

This is a really an underrated song, btw. Only the catacomb's theme gets more unsettling than this, it sounds so trippy, and it amplifies Zero's creepiness. Unpopular opinion, Zero is my most disturbing and creepiest Kirby villain. I could see this theme used for his gameplay overview trailer, really. Listening to it as I'm typing this.
(best thumbnail I could find with the original version)

latest

I'm already running out of ideas... Lloyd Irving would be pretty cool to see. Tales of hasn't had a rep in Smash save the Mii costume in Smash 4, but if it truly is gone then I guess we can hope for them to have chosen him. Also I've heard some music from Tales of Symphonia, so I can say I want that. Specifically these.

Fun Fact, this plays on the final level of The New Great Castle Adventure of SMBX, and it fits so well, and I love this theme.

Just a few examples of what its music sounds like. Also, yes he wields swords, but I find the "too much sword character" statement stupid anyway.

Triforce-1.png

Finally I'd like to see just ANY Zelda rep... we need one.

I guess I'll leave the 4th and last spot for anyone else.

Santa Yoshi said:
Bandana Waddle Dee is my most wanted, but he's already been deconfirmed. In fact, literally every character I remotely wanted in Smash has been deconfirmed. So none, I guess.
did nintendo explicitly deconfirm them or is this just jumping to conclusions based on them appearing as spirits (which nintendo never said or implied was grounds for deconfirmation, that was something that people made up)

i can get assist trophies being plausible deconfirms, but just using stock png artwork would be ridiculous to have as grounds for deconfirmation

I am bracing for a surprise Assist Trophy character promoted to playable character, because there is an underlying assumption that these characters cannot be playable, so it would be most surprising indeed. I mean, a lot of what we assume will never be playable in a million years (for a million and one reasons) becomes playable, with Wii Fit Trainer, Cloud and Piranha Plant being examples. In that case, a new patch will remove the character from Assist Trophy rotation.

Some of the character picks I would like to see as DLC are understandably negatively perceived, such as Slippy and Tingle, so I will just mention who I would love to see:
- Commander Video: Indie games are a dime a dozen by now, but Commander Video is one of the few who debut on a Nintendo platform (Wii) and his musical pixel world is very stylish. His absences as a Spirit is disappointing, and the ending of Runner3 is possibly (possibly!) a hint. Moreover, I would love to see a Narrator spirit included, because Charles Martinet is awesome.
- Arle (Puyo Puyo): The Puyo Puyo series is a very intriguing mix of solid gameplay and rich character world, and Arle would be the best to represent this. Though the Puyo Puyo series is not all that popular, it's got fans from all over the world. The only reason I am unsure about this is due to the fact that there's already a SEGA DLC charcter, which you will know him as Joker (Atlus is now part of SEGA). Note that like Persona, Puyo Puyo was originally not a SEGA IP.
- Musashi (Sushi Striker): Puzzle games are rarely represented in Smash, with Dr. Mario being the only one (and even then, he's based on Mario). I could pick quite a number of characters like Lip or even Arle, but when it comes to Nintendo-based ones, I picked Musashi because he's from a recent game even if not the most popular.
- Style Savvy character: An unconventional pick to be sure, and while the air of impossibility had wane thanks to Wii Fit Trainer, the focus on fashion would be quite a sight.
- Rhythm Heaven character: The most popular pick is the trio of Chorus Kids, but anybody would do. Karate Joe is probably the next best pick because he's one of the few characters who appear in every game. As I said, anybody would do, even Marshal and his two friends Cam and Miss Ribbon.
- Balloon Fighter: Yeah yeah, I know what you are thinking: Villager already do Balloon Fight so the real deal is pointless! (or something along the lines). It's more that Balloon Fight is a popular classic pick and his inclusion is something I would like to see.

I acknowledge that my picks are for super unpopular characters, but they are the ones that would truly be exciting to me.

Thank you for reading.

Lord Bowser said:
Santa Yoshi said:
Bandana Waddle Dee is my most wanted, but he's already been deconfirmed. In fact, literally every character I remotely wanted in Smash has been deconfirmed. So none, I guess.
did nintendo explicitly deconfirm them or is this just jumping to conclusions based on them appearing as spirits (which nintendo never said or implied was grounds for deconfirmation, that was something that people made up)

i can get assist trophies being plausible deconfirms, but just using stock png artwork would be ridiculous to have as grounds for deconfirmation

Reggie said that they were all characters you wouldn't expect, and Bandana Dee was a character everyone expects, so unless they don't know how popular he is, he's basically out of the running.

I really wanted Bandana Dee, but Reggie sorta killed him at the game awards. So right now, I'm expecting Crash Bandicoot, since not a lot of people are expecting him.

Lord Bowser said:
Santa Yoshi said:

No, it's not that at all. I thought they said that all Fighters Pass characters would be from series not yet represented in Smash. At least, that's what I've heard.

I personally want Pheromosa the most as DLC, though she wouldn't exactly be an unexpected choice imo, at least not in the same way as Piranha Plant and Joker

Santa Yoshi said:
Lord Bowser said:
Santa Yoshi said:

No, it's not that at all. I thought they said that all Fighters Pass characters would be from series not yet represented in Smash. At least, that's what I've heard.
You heard wrong. Reggie said they'd be characters new to Smash, as in not veterans. I know that's super obvious but it's what he did say. What he also said was that they'd be characters you might not expect in Smash.

They're likely all third party and new franchises anyway but I won't to stop this misinformation that's getting regurgitated everywhere.

Captain America said:
Santa Yoshi said:
Lord Bowser said:
Santa Yoshi said:

You heard wrong. Reggie said they'd be characters new to Smash, as in not veterans. I know that's super obvious but it's what he did say. What he also said was that they'd be characters you might not expect in Smash.

They're likely all third party and new franchises anyway but I won't to stop this misinformation that's getting regurgitated everywhere.
Okay, I see. So Bandana Dee, Geno, Tails, and Kamek are all still possible (but unlikely because they're expected)? Good to know.

Santa Yoshi said:
Okay, I see. So Bandana Dee, Geno, Tails, and Kamek are all still possible (but unlikely because they're expected)? Good to know.

Technically, since they are to be unexpected fighters, that makes the expected fighters not expected. Which means that they could be added because we don't expect them anymore!

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

*this post was made by the Sarcasm Gang.

Lucinavidad said:
still campaigning for my homegirl Amaterasu

Ah yes, I forgot!

I want another Wolf on the roster too

Isabelle said:
Lord Bowser said:
Santa Yoshi said:

Reggie said that they were all characters you wouldn't expect, and Bandana Dee was a character everyone expects, so unless they don't know how popular he is, he's basically out of the running.
But what if in the process of saying that he's expecting you to think Bandana waddle dee is to expected to be unexpected there for you stop expecting Bandana Waddle Dee making him an unexpected character?

even though i've never played a game in the series, i'd like to see some tekken representation of some sort, for a few reasons:

-it's up there with street fighter as one of the biggest fighting game franchises out there
-it's owned by bandai namco who is co-developing the game (who also has only one rep so far compared to every other third party which has at least two i think)
-the heihachi mii costume was removed with nothing put in to replace it (unlike what happened with virtua fighter where it got upgraded to assist trophy) so it's possible that they removed it so they could put in a fully playable heihachi + other tekken content (or maybe namco decided they didnt want any tekken stuff in it at all for no reason, idk)

if a tekken rep gets in, the most obvious choice would be heihachi, but i guess jin or kazuya would be ok as well

also while i'm on the topic of namco ips, if the tales series gets a rep i'd like to see someone from tales of vesperia, which is slightly less farfetched than it would have been a year ago just because of the remaster, but idk if the timing and popularity will line up enough to justify putting in yuri over other tales protags like lloyd

Yukiho Hagiwara said:
even though i've never played a game in the series, i'd like to see some tekken representation of some sort, for a few reasons:

-it's up there with street fighter as one of the biggest fighting game franchises out there
-it's owned by bandai namco who is co-developing the game (who also has only one rep so far compared to every other third party which has at least two i think)
-the heihachi mii costume was removed with nothing put in to replace it (unlike what happened with virtua fighter where it got upgraded to assist trophy) so it's possible that they removed it so they could put in a fully playable heihachi + other tekken content (or maybe namco decided they didnt want any tekken stuff in it at all for no reason, idk)

if a tekken rep gets in, the most obvious choice would be heihachi, but i guess jin or kazuya would be ok as well

also while i'm on the topic of namco ips, if the tales series gets a rep i'd like to see someone from tales of vesperia, which is slightly less farfetched than it would have been a year ago just because of the remaster, but idk if the timing and popularity will line up enough to justify putting in yuri over other tales protags like lloyd
Eh, I don't see Heihachi happening

On the Mii costume, every third party costume got removed so I don't Heihachi's costume's absence has any meaning. And he technically is in the game as a random sprite Pac-Man can spawn during his taunt.

Heihachi's Japanese VA also died recently. Often times out of respect for the late actor characters are retired and phased out (see the colonel in Metal Gear). May seem strange to us but it's a cultural thing over there.

And finally, Sakurai actually considered Heihachi for Smash 4, but stated that he wouldn't translate into Smash well. Sakurai said he wanted to stay as true to the character as possible and Tekken's style of four attack buttons with one controlling each limb wouldn't work. I don't have a link right now, but Sakurai straight up said he was too hard to implement. Now, he also said Ridley was impossible but he found a way. As of right now though, he's in a tricky spot.

Now, I do think we are definitely getting a Namco character and I'm certain it's Lloyd. Not just any Tales character, but specifically him. In an interview Sakurai mentioned the Lloyd Mii costume and said if there was gonna be any Tales representation, it had to be Lloyd. He seemed pretty adamant about that. Again, he can change his mind, but just looking at what he's said, I think we're getting Lloyd.

Captain America said:
Heihachi's Japanese VA also died recently. Often times out of respect for the late actor characters are retired and phased out (see the colonel in Metal Gear). May seem strange to us but it's a cultural thing over there.
you say that, but that same guy was the voice of incineroar, who still got in the game.

fair enough

id like to see sans from undertale, i say that unironically. i think he could be a fun character to play as

usually, but sans is a more popular character than frisk/chara, so it would make more sense to go for him

plus, he doesn't always go for the protagonist first, otherwise pokemon trainer would have been in smash 64

Captain America said:
Eh, I don't see Heihachi happening

On the Mii costume, every third party costume got removed so I don't Heihachi's costume's absence has any meaning. And he technically is in the game as a random sprite Pac-Man can spawn during his taunt.

And finally, Sakurai actually considered Heihachi for Smash 4, but stated that he wouldn't translate into Smash well. Sakurai said he wanted to stay as true to the character as possible and Tekken's style of four attack buttons with one controlling each limb wouldn't work. I don't have a link right now, but Sakurai straight up said he was too hard to implement. Now, he also said Ridley was impossible but he found a way. As of right now though, he's in a tricky spot.

Now, I do think we are definitely getting a Namco character and I'm certain it's Lloyd. Not just any Tales character, but specifically him. In an interview Sakurai mentioned the Lloyd Mii costume and said if there was gonna be any Tales representation, it had to be Lloyd. He seemed pretty adamant about that. Again, he can change his mind, but just looking at what he's said, I think we're getting Lloyd.

yeah i understand. i did already know about sakurai trying to put him in and deciding against it, and also that some third party mii costumes other than heihachi were removed, although i didnt realise it was all of them because honestly i didnt want to pay money for them in wii u/3ds and ive forgotten half of the costumes they even added so i didnt notice some of the absences
i didn't know about the voice actor passing away, that sounds like a respectable reason to not put him in.

anyway i realise that its not likely to happen, but i'm looking at this thread from the view of 'what do i think would be cool' rather than 'what do i think is likely' since theres many times in the past where things that people think are likely or unlikely turn out to be the exact opposite, and also i'm just not really into roster prediction. if what i want to see happens, then cool, but if not i dont care because theres already 70+ great characters in the game and i'm sure all the dlc characters will turn out well too, judging by the results of smash 4's dlc

Magikrazy said:
fair enough

id like to see sans from undertale, i say that unironically. i think he could be a fun character to play as

I actually thought Sans could get in as an assist trophy, have him appear in the background in 8 bit form shooting Ghaster blasters and bones at you.

Also the background becomes black.

Back