New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Switch Port Rumors

I was being a bit cheeky with that post regarding Smash Ultimate being ported since I know that won't happen, so please excuse me ^^;

Still, I think porting NSMBU for Switch is a dumb move. As people already said, I want a new game rather than this.

If this rumor is true, they'd have to remove Boost Mode, and as such the game would only support 4 players. That would also mean no Boost Stars or 3-Up Moons.

My Wii U won't load this game, and I may have to buy a new copy. But between the Wii U version and a potential Switch port...I'll take the Wii U version any day. Mainly because of Boost Mode, and also because all my progress is on Wii U.

But honestly, I can't fully believe these rumors. I mean, rumors were strong for a Switch VC with GCN games, and look how that turned out.

For me, progress isn't important in these games. Most of the time, I just erase the existing file that has the least progress and play through.

Only one file is dedicated for 100% completion.

I own NSMBU and would be fine if it got ported. I never bought Luigi U, only played it at a friend's house. I'd be down for re-buying because I like the Switch platform more and would rather replay it there. It also gives those who didn't have a Wii U a chance to play it.

For those who are like, "This is dumb, they should make a new game," I disagree. I honestly don't understand how locking the game to DOA console benefits Nintendo or the audience in any way. If you already own the game and don't want the port then don't get it and you're no worse off. The game came out 6 years ago, can you really have buyer's remorse after all that time? If you're a Switch owner who hasn't played it before, yay, you can play the thing now. If you're Nintendo, yay, more money for not much work.

Ports are done by small teams or external studios so they could easily port it while also working on a new one anyway.

If it goes ahead then I'd like to see some new content, whether it's new levels or game modes. Female playable characters (Peach, Rosalina, Toadette, etc) would be very welcome because two Toads is bloody ridiculous. Online and LAN play would be neat but I wouldn't expect either.

fantanoice said:
Female playable characters (Peach, Rosalina, Toadette, etc) would be very welcome because two Toads is bloody ridiculous. Online and LAN play would be neat but I wouldn't expect either.
Agreed. Two Toads were a lame choice. People want variety with characters like Peach and Daisy serving that purpose unique abilities, not duplicate clone characters.

I don't want characters to have their own abilities. It potentially screws around with level design.

I don't want characters with unique abilities in NSMB either. But I still think that having two Toads is just dumb. Then again, I can't think of anyone that could replace one of the Toads...

Regular Toad and Toadette.

Bam, problem solved. You don't even need to alter the bones (since Blue and Yellow share the same freaking model and file), just add jiggle bones to the model for the Toadette variant of the model.

It makes no sense to make a Nintendo Switch port for New Super Mario Bros. U, since it was meant to be a Wii U exclusive title with its GamePad and Miiverse (which is now closed) features.

Probably going to replace those features with something else, I'm betting.

Kirby of the Stars said:
I don't want characters with unique abilities in NSMB either. But I still think that having two Toads is just dumb. Then again, I can't think of anyone that could replace one of the Toads...
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi as how modders did in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Princess Mario said:
Kirby of the Stars said:
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi as how modders did in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

*cough**cough*me*cough**cough*

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I don't want characters to have their own abilities. It potentially screws around with level design.
Kirby of the Stars said:
Peach and Daisy are awesome when they're playable. I loved Peach's floating capability in SMB2 and 3D World and Daisy's double jump in SMR. I loved how SMR was able to have both Peach and Daisy. In fact I love Super Mario Run more than NSMBWii or NSMBU and hell any NSMB game in general for that reason. They are far more unique and better than two Toads. It wouldn't mess with level design. In fact, Peach wasn't a problem in Super Mario Bros. X which had 2 player multiplayer co-op. If Peach didn't mess around in that game, she wouldn't mess around in an NSMB Switch. Heck if she didn't mess around with SMR's level design or even 3D World's level design, she wouldn't mess up any Mario platformer's level design. She's not like Maria Renard in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood for the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine (via its CD-ROM addon) or its PSP remake The Dracula X Chronicles where she makes every level a piece of cake with her superior abilities (quick attacks, double jumping, faster moving, and sliding) when compared to Richter Belmont who plays like NES Simon Belmont, Trevor Belmont, and even Christopher Belmont but with the addition of the backflip which doesn't really mess with anything. Peach's floating does come in handy in Ice levels where she makes those a complete non-issue as seen in Super Mario Bros. 2 USA (any version) and even Super Mario 3D World, in addition with her slight slowness.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
It wouldn't mess with level design.

Yes it would.

You're forgetting that Super Mario Run was designed in mind to accommodate characters with different abilities from the very start. Same thing with Super Mario 3D World, heck in any of the aforementioned games you mentioned, these sort of things were planned out way before they even started designing the levels themselves. In New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U, levels were designed around how characters all play the same as each other, because that's how they wanted to develop the game, and that's how it's expected to remain. Even NSMB hacks that change around characters' playstyles usually have new levels due to the fact.

super mario bros. x, unlike the other multiplayer games, splits its screen when the characters separate so you won't have asshole toads running around and forcing people into bubbles

super mario run also sucks ass because they removed mario's only trait that sets him apart by giving everyone else his ability

see how that feels when mario gets the same floating ability when peach is around

When SMBX splits the screen, it does get harder to see ahead of you though...

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Probably going to replace those features with something else, I'm betting.

Frankly, I feel that Nintendo should just make a new Super Mario Bros. platformer for the Nintendo Switch. Not every Wii U title is getting the Switch treatment after all; Smash Wii U sure isn't with Smash Ultimate being in development.

Princess Mario said:
super mario bros. x, unlike the other multiplayer games, splits its screen when the characters separate so you won't have *bleep* toads running around and forcing people into bubbles

super mario run also sucks ass because they removed mario's only trait that sets him apart by giving everyone else his ability

see how that feels when mario gets the same floating ability when peach is around
That was foolish of Nintendo, making every character able to collect Super Mushrooms in Mario Run. I can understand why Luigi could, but everyone else simply ruins the character balance of the game.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Roll and Maria Renard said:
It wouldn't mess with level design.

Yes it would.

You're forgetting that Super Mario Run was designed in mind to accommodate characters with different abilities from the very start. Same thing with Super Mario 3D World, heck in any of the aforementioned games you mentioned, these sort of things were planned out way before they even started designing the levels themselves. In New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U, levels were designed around how characters all play the same as each other, because that's how they wanted to develop the game, and that's how it's expected to remain. Even NSMB hacks that change around characters' playstyles usually have new levels due to the fact.
Does that also include SMB2 USA and my slight analogy/comparision with Maria Renard in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (who is similar to Peach because she wears a pink dress like Peach does, but not in Dracula X Chronicles or in Symphony of the Night as a 17 year old, or heck even Castlevania Judgement; they're also blondies but with their differences being their abilities)?

Miyamoto did say that Peach was initially considered to be playable in NSMBWii but they scrapped that for bullshit reasons like not being able to animate her dress and program it in and waited until 3D World (which BTW initally did not have Peach playable as Koichi Hayashida and Kenta Motokura didn't wanted to, but Yoshiaki Koizumi bugged them to make her playable) and Super Mario Run did it (after being rescued). It's a miracle that StupidMarioBros1Fan is doing all the hard work to implement Peach and even Daisy in NSMBWii but without their unique abilities (which is why I love playing as them in the first place). But Nintendo needs to make changes in NSMB Switch to be able to have Peach and or Daisy be playable, including level design to accommodate them to make things fair. Everyone being unique like in SMB2, 3D World, and Super Mario Run is awesome just as how Maria Renard being different than Richter Belmont in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and SOTN (with Alucard, but only in the Sega Saturn and Dracula X Chronicles PSP versions as Maria is only playable in those versions and not the original PlayStation 1 version) is also awesome too. People want variety, not duplicates which are very lame like two Toads when the space could be used for better characters like Wario and Waluigi (which needs to be in a main game as a lot of fans want).

I am basing the comparisons off my experiences.

The whole thing isn't really about "tainting" the Wii U's legacy. I owned the Wii U and most of the games that are being ported to the Switch (Mario Kart 8, Breath of the Wild, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta, New Super Mario Bros. U). I like to have more for my library, not retreads on games I already own. It's great you don't have a Wii U back then, but my Switch is collecting dust from having only Super Mario Odyssey, and the only other games I'd like are Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Super Mario Party, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (though I do wonder if Diablo III is a good investment too). I don't know if other people can relate, but from my selfish perspective, it's tiring to hear. I don't know if different developmental teams are working on those because I don't see sequels AND ports getting worked on at the same time and I've yet to see a new Mario Kart or a new Captain Toad or a new Bayonetta or a new Hyrule Warriors, so eh.

If we're to get Diablo III, we're really better off getting the PC version of it and saving up for an expanded SDD, as with other titles available on PC such as Doom, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, etc.

Personally, Diablo III on the Switch for both of us is less expensive. I don't know if both our PCs can run Diablo III smoothly, and that's considering that we buy two copies for ourselves. The Switch does allow for one-screen multiplayer, which sets it apart from the PC iteration. Also, won't take up space in our shrinking SDD.

Oh I must've forgotten or overlooked the news, as I don't watch too much Nintendo Direct these days. But that's really nice. I need to go back and play my dual Bayonetta 1 + 2 copies.

MnSG said:
Frankly, I feel that Nintendo should just make a new Super Mario Bros. platformer for the Nintendo Switch. Not every Wii U title is getting the Switch treatment after all; Smash Wii U sure isn't with Smash Ultimate being in development.

Well this is still just a rumour.

Back