Why do Wario characters hardly show up in spinoffs?

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
And by that, there is like, only two cases if you don't count Smash and that's Ashley in Mario Maker and the whole cast of Wario Land 3 in Dr. Mario 64.

Even when Wario himself shows up, there is hardly any references to his game, he'll never wear his biker get up from Warioware or use any of his bizarre power ups from Wario Land, there is a few references here and there, like mentioning Rudy in Fortune Street, the Wario bike in Kart Wii and his amiibo board in Mario Party 10, but other than that, they seem to shy away from the unique things from these games opposed to Donkey Kong and Yoshi's sub series, what gives?

The Wario games are both more divorced from the Mario series and far less popular than yoshi or dk so there's little incentive to promote content from those games. The original Donkey Kong Country sold a little over a third of all Wario games by itself.

I think Ashley will be a prime DLC candidate if they go full ~gaem as services ~ for the next Mario Kart, though.

I think they suffer from the same fate as the RPG characters: being stuck to their franchise and not straying far at all in any of the spin-offs.

Now, this wouldn't mean I'd be opposed to Wario-themed stages in the Mario spin-offs. We had some glimpses of WarioWare in say Mario Power Tennis and Wario Land in Mario Tennis Open.

It seems to be the same way with Donkey Kong characters besides Diddy Kong and occasionally Funky Kong.

Personally I don't understand limiting characters to a single subseries at all. Let them join the Mario spinoffs I say. What's the point in squandering roster potential by limiting the pool of characters you're picking from. Just like I feel Waluigi should be used in Wario games, Wario series characters should be used in Mario spinoffs so Wario isn't awkwardly split between his WarioWare associates and Waluigi with them being mutually exclusive.

Because there are a lot of Mario characters.

Master of Dimensions said:
It seems to be the same way with Donkey Kong characters besides Diddy Kong and occasionally Funky Kong.

Personally I don't understand limiting characters to a single subseries at all. Let them join the Mario spinoffs I say. What's the point in squandering roster potential by limiting the pool of characters you're picking from. Just like I feel Waluigi should be used in Wario games, Wario series characters should be used in Mario spinoffs so Wario isn't awkwardly split between his WarioWare associates and Waluigi with them being mutually exclusive.
Agree all of this. Technically Diddy is way too favored for him exactly being a non-Mario character but has made so many appearances so far. At least, Dixie deserves more love.

Mcmadness said:
Because there are a lot of Mario characters.
Oh?
MK8DX_Others.png

There is sure no license issue to bring in characters from related series. Just suspect that Nintendo rather brings in the totally irrelevant Nintendo allstars or FF jobs cause they're more popular. :???:

Well duh.

Because the Wario franchise is supposed to be a different Franchise than Mario. For some reason, Wario and Waluigi still appear in Mario spin-offs (which i find foolish), but the other Wario characters should never appear in Mario spin offs.

YoshiEgg1990 said:
Because the Wario franchise is supposed to be a different Franchise than Mario. For some reason, Wario and Waluigi still appear in Mario spin-offs (which i find foolish), but the other Wario characters should never appear in Mario spin offs.
Is that why Wario debuted in Super Mario Land 2 and is explicitly designed around the idea of a bad/crude Mario? That alone should imply that the characters he interacts with in his series exist in the same universe as he does and by extension, the Mario universe. Waluigi is outright a Mario character and not even a Wario character yet (though he should appear in the Wario series at some point).

YoshiEgg1990 said:
Because the Wario franchise is supposed to be a different Franchise than Mario. For some reason, Wario characters should never appear in Mario spin offs.
Well actually if Mario series have been strictly only include Super Mario bros characters that'd be fine. But the fact is seeing DK series (which shouldn't join by your theory) and all those guest characters makes us think about Warioware crew.

In general I think Warioware crew are fun and have good diversity. Beside they have some kid characters which would be good choices for light weight class.

My guess is that a lot of the Wario content is being handled by another team in Nintendo. And maybe the people making the spinoffs don't want to be bothered to ask that team if they can use those characters.

With the Donkey Kong Country series, after Rare was no longer in charge of it, I'm assuming all the characters and content of those games went with Nintendo and were kind of free game. Everyone was handed out DK stuff in the Gamecube era.

Wario has his yellow outfit in Mario games. So maybe the one from the Mario series is not the one from WarioWare. So the WarioWare characters shouldn't appear in Mario games. Though they should appear in Smash, because ssb Wario is WarioWare Wario.

Waluigi being excluded from WarioWare even to this day is something I would have love to hear from them, especially from the perspective from a fan who thought that Waluigi is a natural inclusion in WarioWare. My irrational speculation is that at least one member of the team didn't like Waluigi.

Sometimes I wonder if the team by Sakamoto have a strong bias against Mario stuff and would rather have none of the original Wario stuff being used by Mario. I think I read somewhere (probably text based on Do You Know Gaming) that Wario is a symbol of independence, which could explain a little on why Wario is totally divorced from Mario where none of his supporting cast show up, but I still need the real confirmation on this. Please clarify if I am off-base.

Thank you for reading.

(If the designer of WarioWare's zany characters, Ko Takeuchi, drew Waluigi, could anybody please show me a picture?)

You want my answer?

These are Wario characters.

And this is the Mario series.

Mario and Wario are the opposite counterparts.

These worlds shan't collide unless one mad fool wants the creation of the Chaos Heart.

Really I think the primary reason is that 90% of Wario characters don't visually fit in with Mario stuff.

Hell were it not for Wario himself the wario ware series could have easily been it's own thing like rhythm heaven is.

Still, I think it wouldn't hurt to have WarioWare acknowledged in spin-offs. Mario Power Tennis did give a small nod to it in Wario's stage, and there is a place called "Diamond City" in Mario Kart Arcade GP (though a reference only in name only).

I don't think Wario Land is even acknowledged that much either, come to think of it. You're not going to find Rudy the Clown or Queen Merelda being referenced.

Everyone said:
These worlds shan't collide unless one mad fool wants the creation of the Chaos Heart.
Mario Tennis tried it

MPT_WarioFactoryCourt.jpg

and Mario Tennis has never been good again

6uaIW7H.png

Uhhh...
Ahem...
See...

This thread is about the characters.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Still, I think it wouldn't hurt to have WarioWare acknowledged in spin-offs. Mario Power Tennis did give a small nod to it in Wario's stage, and there is a place called "Diamond City" in Mario Kart Arcade GP (though a reference only in name only).

I don't think Wario Land is even acknowledged that much either, come to think of it. You're not going to find Rudy the Clown or Queen Merelda being referenced.

Well Rudy of all things got a reference in Fortune street. And by reference I mean literal reference as it's just something Wario randomly mentions.

Shovel Knight said:
So the WarioWare characters shouldn't appear in Mario games.
Here we go again.
MK8DX_Others.png

About the universe thing, the point is we haven't really seen SMB/DKC/WW series have major controadictoy collision. Although Wario appeared in Super Mario Land and Super Mario 64 remake before, he's technically not a recurring SMB character. It would lead fans believe that the whole Warioware business is what he's been doing when out of SMB cameos.

I just think the Warioware Wario to Plumber(?) Wario is like the Doctor Mario to Plumber Mario. These are kinda like the characters' notable identitty but we don't judge if sharing universe is the main point to take care of.

Koopaul said:
My guess is that a lot of the Wario content is being handled by another team in Nintendo. And maybe the people making the spinoffs don't want to be bothered to ask that team if they can use those characters.
With the Donkey Kong Country series, after Rare was no longer in charge of it, I'm assuming all the characters and content of those games went with Nintendo and were kind of free game. Everyone was handed out DK stuff in the Gamecube era.
I can see this point about why DKC and WW character being treated differently for. Just curious, if Smash bros can use more Warioware references and characters in the background, what if Mario spinoffs can do the same thing. It would still be a good fanservice and diversity to bring more WW elements into Mario games.

Well, the Wario Bike did make an appearance as a vehicle in Mario Kart Wii, if that's anything to go by.

You know, that bike should have returned in Mario Kart 8, along with the Tiny Titan.

Maybe those third party characters are from super-popular franchises, so they're pretty much product placement.

Which reminds me.

More karts like the GLA need to be in Mario Kart.

Princess Mario said:
Maybe those third party characters are from super-popular franchises, so they're pretty much product placement.
This. ^
I imagine that characters from Wario games don't appear in Mario games mostly for this reason, and also for the different style (as Wario game's characters are a ton more energetic and sometimes "edgier/cooler" than Mario's ones; heck, even just the enemies are way more menacing than Mario's!), they wouldn't fit it that well, like some people have already pointed out earlier.
Just look at how more manacing this Bandinero looks compared to a Goomba and you get why almost no character (both as in "character-character" or "species/common baddie-character") from Wario games appear in Mario's ones:
125px-RedBandinero.png

Albeit I do think that, with a bit of style change, a Bandinero could indeed be added in a Mario game (it wouldn't be too unfitting to be honest...), I'd say the rest of the enemies or allies is a big no-no because they'd clash too much in terms of style and design.

Back