Super Mario Party

It seems like different games jump around from making Luigi mute like Mario or giving him dialogue. You'd think since mainline Mario games like Super Mario Galaxy and Odyssey have Luigi talk in full sentences, that he would do that everywhere. Oh well.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Bowser Revolution, though.

Is just a small token to make people think communism actually works.

Koopaul said:
It seems like different games jump around from making Luigi mute like Mario or giving him dialogue. You'd think since mainline Mario games like Super Mario Galaxy and Odyssey have Luigi talk in full sentences, that he would do that everywhere. Oh well.
Mario also used to talk in full sentences (see Mario's Picross, Mario 64, and Mario Sunshine), but the Mario RPGs seemingly removed his ability to speak (looking at you, Paper Jam). Outside of some third-party games like Fortune Street, Mario has largely stayed silent since 2002.

It really doesn't make sense.

Luigi's all the more confusing because, outside of the M&L games, he's spoken in full sentences a lot of the time. Mario Odyssey, released last year, had Luigi speaking in full sentences. No reason to change that now.

Ghostly Yoshi said:
Mario also used to talk in full sentences (see Mario's Picross, Mario 64, and Mario Sunshine), but the Mario RPGs seemingly removed his ability to speak (looking at you, Paper Jam). Outside of some third-party games like Fortune Street, Mario has largely stayed silent since 2002.

Luigi's all the more confusing because, outside of the M&L games, he's spoken in full sentences a lot of the time. Mario Odyssey, released last year, had Luigi speaking in full sentences. No reason to change that now.

How would Paper Jam have removed his ability? He never spoke in the M&L RPGs, and he didn't for Paper Mario, either. Not to mention Paper Jam was only released three years ago, which doesn't really fit that whole 2002 thing.

What's interesting in Paper Mario's case, though, is Luigi has spoken in Paper Mario. Specifically, The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario. I can't speak for Sticker Star or Color Splash on that front, but even in the RPGs Luigi is no stranger to speaking.

Fortune Street made it evident that text speech for Mario works just fine. It doesn't look weird to have him talk there and he has a unique dialect. But then, I still think if he did actually talk in text boxes in a main series Mario game there would be a huge debacle over it for no reason. After all, just look at how everyone reacted to Mario's nipples...

Yeah Luigi talks in colour splash. Not sticker star but in that game he's just a hidden extra.

Kokichi Oma said:
After all, just look at how everyone reacted to Mario's nipples...
it's short-lived fortunately and people moved on with their lives

though I had to change a little bit how I draw shirtless Mario...

Yeah, you had to make it sexier

the two dots make all the difference :new:

Kokichi Oma said:
Ghostly Yoshi said:

How would Paper Jam have removed his ability? He never spoke in the M&L RPGs, and he didn't for Paper Mario, either. Not to mention Paper Jam was only released three years ago, which doesn't really fit that whole 2002 thing.

What's interesting in Paper Mario's case, though, is Luigi has spoken in Paper Mario. Specifically, The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario. I can't speak for Sticker Star or Color Splash on that front, but even in the RPGs Luigi is no stranger to speaking.

Fortune Street made it evident that text speech for Mario works just fine. It doesn't look weird to have him talk there and he has a unique dialect. But then, I still think if he did actually talk in text boxes in a main series Mario game there would be a huge debacle over it for no reason. After all, just look at how everyone reacted to Mario's nipples...

I pointed out Paper Jam because, even though Mario never really talked in any prior RPGs, Paper Jam made it downright obvious that Mario was mute (Paper Mario, at least). I don't think we had Mario talking with gestures and mouth movements in the Paper Mario games, and Mario spoke some other language in the M&L games. The last first-party game to have Mario talk in full sentences was Mario Sunshine, in 2002. (Yeah, he said one or two sentences in Galaxy but I'm not counting that)

Luigi's always been able to talk, and there's no reason to change that now.

Ghostly Yoshi said:
Not in the Mario & Sonic games. Luigi also doesn't appear to talk past Luigi's Mansion 1.

Yo said:
Anyway, is this fun in single-player?
Mario Party generally tends to be less fun in single player, but you can try idk.

Princess Mario said:
Ghostly Yoshi said:
Not in the Mario & Sonic games. Luigi also doesn't appear to talk past Luigi's Mansion 1.
I was about to say that Mario & Sonic is third party, but then I remembered that they're still first party in Japan (plus the most recent two are first party worldwide). Not really sure why he doesn't talk there.

Of course he doesn't talk in Luigi's Mansion. I mean, you play as him. What reason does the playable character have to speak?

Yo said:
Can't expect much from a game with "party" in the name. You might enjoy playing alone (there's even a solo campaign called Challenge Road), but the general consensus is that Mario Party is far better in multiplayer.

The distinction between third and first party seems to be arbitrary though, unless you can provide reasoning for it. For that, I'd treat Mario games as Mario games.

Ghostly Yoshi said:
Of course he doesn't talk in Luigi's Mansion. I mean, you play as him. What reason does the playable character have to speak?
There are quite a few games where playable characters speak. Luigi also speaks in Luigi's Mansion: The First One, making personal commentary on scanning stuff. This reveals a bit about his personality, and it adds flavor to otherwise a digitized thing that talks around in a digitized illusion of space.

Ghostly Yoshi said:
I don't think we had Mario talking with gestures and mouth movements in the Paper Mario games

We did actually have gestures and mouth movements in the Paper Mario games. In fact, a greeting gesture that Mario does in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is specifically coded in a way that can actually lead to a crash depending on who you spoke to before talking to that person because it recalls information to make it not look janky with Mario's idle animation.

There's also this from Super Paper Mario.

(Me being super attached to bro interactions made me remember this cutscene for an irrelevant conversation... Take that, Mom! My obsession with bro hugs is useful in online debate!)

In fact, the actual central difference between Paper Jam and the Paper Mario games that I can really recall is that Paper Jam!Paper Mario doesn't have voice clips. (Which makes sense given that he is literal animated paper in Paper Jam.) Other than that, the gesturing and the miming and all that was exactly the same. In addition, the real Mario still has his voice clips and gestures as he always has had in the M&L RPG series.

Yo said:
I can't say, since I haven't played yet, but I play Mario Party by myself all the time. It's fun for me.

Yo said:
Princess Mario said:
the two dots make all the difference :new:

Please tell me I'm still in the Mario Party thread.

It's difficult to say. I had some fun in single player because I can set the CPU characters in a way that I can dominate them. If there were a Mario Party with substantial single player content you could determine for yourself, like the Mario Party games with story mode (Mario Party 3 is an example). I know I have some opportunities to play multiplayer, which is partially the reason I got this game.

Thank you for reading.

I want this because Kirby Star Allies can't be my only good multiplayer Switch game (yeah there's MK8DX but we usually stick with the Wii U version). I don't have much intent to play this game alone.

What do you all think are some great Super Mario Party tunes? I like these:

(In-game: Pleasantly Happy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb7vS3Exve4

(In-game: Fancy Pop)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3oPacUm_EE

Thank you for reading.

My favorite is Friends and Fate (Suit Yourselves). I love the cool jazz that plays in it.

Czario said:
Wow, this even worse than I thought. I thought Toad would say something like "Luigi wants to come too!" but instead this implies that Luigi is mute or that he speaks some language that only Toad understands (except he already says a few English phrases). Though this makes me imagine if Mario and Luigi really only know a few English phrases and normally speak Italian, which Toad randomly also knows. That's obviously not the case though, so it comes off as Mario and Luigi being unable to talk, and that's stupid.

I need to point out that Toad doesn't always quote Luigi. For example, when I used Mario on boards and Luigi is selected as my buddy, he mentioned something about having a bro. I have taken a screenshot where this happened, so if anybody is interested, I will post here at my next available opportunity.

Thank you for reading.

I want to see it.

But if there's someone who can continue firing bullets at this concept, well, LGM can supply the ammunition more than I can but...

like why have Toad even speak for Luigi at all in the first place lmao

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I want to see it.

But if there's someone who can continue firing bullets at this concept, well, LGM can supply the ammunition more than I can but...

like why have Toad even speak for Luigi at all in the first place lmao

Well then, here you go! Do what you want with it.

DqHTs2ZU4AIJhqn.jpg

Thank you for reading.

The thing that really gets me about Luigi not talking is that he, along with Mario, still uses talking animations, as if he's the one talking.

Just make Weegee talk and Mario not, simple as that. Luigi already has more personality than Mario anyway.

Yo said:
The thing that really gets me about Luigi not talking is that he, along with Mario, still uses talking animations, as if he's the one talking.

Just make Weegee talk and Mario not, simple as that. Luigi already has more personality than Mario anyway.

The point of having a silent protagonist is not to remove its personality, but to give it a flexible one. You already play as Mario, so they want players to be able to choose for themselves what Mario is like.

Back