Super Mario Party

I want a game where everyone except Mario doesn't talk, and Luigi talks only very occasionally because it's hella annoying how inconsistent they are with Luigi talking. But it's still better than not talking at all. Toad is the biggest victim of it and Mario gives him a very hard time for it.

Princess Mario said:
I want a game where everyone except Mario doesn't talk, and Luigi talks only very occasionally because it's hella annoying how inconsistent they are with Luigi talking. But it's still better than not talking at all.
The game will have a zipper motif, relating to the state of everyone's lips.

Mario is like the "Link" of the Mario series, who can't have dialogue and can only do grunts and wahoos.

Princess Mario said:
I want a game where everyone except Mario doesn't talk, and Luigi talks only very occasionally because it's hella annoying how inconsistent they are with Luigi talking. But it's still better than not talking at all.
It's called Mario vs. Donkey Kong, which Mario can speak in short sentences.

those days in which Nintendo actually cared for voice acting...

then Sunshine happened ... and then they seemed to be recovering in Galaxy ...

and then completely stopped caring after the 3DS...

Ant-Man said:
I probably wouldn't have ever used the pro controller ever
I hear some mini games require specific joy con functionality which is why they're doing this.

In case it wasn't clear, I am not saying that I want the Pro Controller to be used, but rather it would be nice to have (the comment above that one wasn't Super Mario Party related, in case you replied to it without quoting). Moreover, I meant that in the conclusion that I am conveying, the game is going to use the Joy-cons to the fullest capability which means that the lack of other controller types is understandable.

Princess Mario said:
Characters seem to do a short dialogue quip when you collect them in this game

EXCEPT FOR *bleep*ING MARIO

AND TOAD DOES IT FOR HIM

That reminded me of how you talked about Bowser's inability to talk in Sticker Star (sorry to bring up bad memories), as an example of how you felt every time Mario didn't talk. Meaning that, fans didn't like that Bowser is especially silent, which was something those fans liked about him.

I wonder how you know this. I am not saying I don't believe you since this is something I can see Nintendo doing with Mario given ample precedence, but I would like to know the reference.

Octo-nite8 said:
Mario is like the "Link" of the Mario series, who can't have dialogue and can only do grunts and wahoos.

While I can see your point, I feel there are a few things that makes Mario more qualified to be more talkative. For one, Mario's voice actor is very talented and even interact with customers. Even in the games Mario speaks some English words so at least he is able to talk well. There's even a case where Mario had eligible text boxes, namely the Fortune Street whenever crossed over with Mario. Link on the other hand doesn't have that luxury since his voice actor isn't as well known, and it's probably his most defining characteristic.

The fact that Mario has precedence in being able to talk means that whenever he's put in a position where other characters had to do the talking for him, it felt like the developers are doing the best to correct a "mistake" that was made: Mario's ability to talk. I certainly felt that way in the Mario & Luigi games since Partners in Time, since it's the first time I noticed that they added a character (Stuffwell) specifically to do the talking for the brothers, and Starlow's continued presence is even worse in that regard (at least Stuffwell collects stuff, so it has that going for it).

Thank you for reading.

Octo-nite8 said:

Princess Mario said:
It's called Mario vs. Donkey Kong, which Mario can speak in short sentences.
Link's also really bland and can benefit from dialogue IMO. The silent protagonist thing works a little better for him, but not much, as it's still a shitty video game trope that was born out of an era where character building was very limited. It works better in tandem with character customization, first-person games especially if there's little interaction with people, or if the hero character has other means of being really expressive (Doomguy from Doom 2016). Mario's not expressive enough, he's dumb as a brick most of the time, he doesn't react strongly or realistically enough to some situations, and he (and Link) has someone else talking for him, which kind of ruins the point of "he's the manifestation of the player". Look how it worked so well in Sticker Star, where everyone is silent. No one likes that depiction. There shouldn't be a double standard for Mario.

To be fair Mario and Donkey Kong are like the only characters in that game, aside from several Toads. That being said, Mario vs. Donkey Kong is more of what I'd like to hear from Mario, not this brain-damaged squawking animal that has a hired interpreter. Fortune Street is what I consider perfect for Mario.

That reminded me of how you talked about Bowser's inability to talk in Sticker Star (sorry to bring up bad memories), as an example of how you felt every time Mario didn't talk. Meaning that, fans didn't like that Bowser is especially silent, which was something those fans liked about him.
Ha, I brought it up again. That and Luigi's silence are very common complaints for Sticker Star so I picked up on them pretty easily as I've harped on Mario's silence for years now. This also includes some complaints of Bowser being silent in Mario Party 10 (I believe?) and I do remember MnSG complaining how jarring it is that Rosalina is silent in Mario Party. The thing is, no one ever praises Mario characters for being silent (maybe except how I praised Yoshi for being literally mute in New Super Mario Bros. but that's my over-the-top dislike for him). Imagine the outrage if Wario was silent in his games. Sonic was silent in Mario & Sonic London so there's another example of how ineffective it is for these characters, and it's only that people are complacent to Mario's silence because it's only a trend, not because it's a great way to depict him.

Anyhow, I've seen people lament how silent Mario is in the games when they see him chat with people in the videos, so there's some hope.

Personally, Mario should talk. I just think that with him talking, his personailty will be so much more expanded upon.

Link doesn't need it though. He's so expressive already, so much that his face speaks for himself already. That's the best thing there is about him.

Eh, the only reason I care about this is because it affects my sister.

I wanted to tell her that characters make a short dialogue quip when you collect them and so I was excited to relay this to my sister when I saw Mario about to be collected and what kind of thing he would say.

What I eventually said to her wasn't the thing I really wanted for her to hear.

You shouldn't have gotten your hopes up.

Well it's Mario. If it weren't for you, I'd feel mostly indifference towards him.

Swiftie_Luma said:

With how many things have gotten full voice acting these days, I'd say it's the opposite for them.

Mcmadness said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

With how many things have gotten full voice acting these days, I'd say it's the opposite for them.

I didn't mention it directly but i was totally talking about Mario.

honestly i know Mario series is like not needing for this but if it's done correctly it can be super amazing, see WarioWare gold for example.

Eh, I find myself not caring all that much easier way. I can appreciate it if it's done well but no skin off my nose if it isn't done at all.

I wish I had the luxury to not care but I can't help being a fan with probably ridiculous standards for my man.

Give it a few years, you'll get over it.

ehh no.

Personaly, i'm willing to accept certain aspects of Rosalina's current portrayal because whatever but i'll never get over Nintendo's clear attemp to eliminate Rosalina's beautiful SMG self and character. They are trash for this and will forever be , end of the story.

there's no simply a ''get over it'' in that.

it's been 5 years now ... hopefuly this evolves before im 25.

Well I turned 26 when I got over things that bothered me about 5 years ago so it's not impossible.

Mcmadness said:
Give it a few years, you'll get over it.

I know that feeling.

It's a bit sad at first but you just stop caring and you just turn to other avenues to satisfy it. Or find other things you're happy with.

Always have many things to fall back on. Have a large pallet.

Rosalina gameplay, and she wins!

too bad i can't hear her properly but i guess she still says ''thats better'' when she gets selected.

You know I will say, it is nice to get a Mario Party that doesn't look like complete garbage visually for once.

Back