Games in which Mario speaks?

LeftyGreenMario said:
SiFi said:
Mario's Picross, and maybe the other two?
Really? Examples?
The tutorial.
MarioMPr.PNG

Not a game, but this is Mario talking in Spanish.

I find it ironic that the so-called silent character has so many voiced lines, and he is probably heard talking more than any other character (meaning not a speech bubble).

LeftyGreenMario said:
I find it ironic that the so-called silent character has so many voiced lines, and he is probably heard talking more than any other character (meaning not a speech bubble).

The only Mario variant that could be considered silent is Paper Mario, and I don't know if Paper Mario talks in Super Paper Mario, but it's weird that Paper Mario speaks in Thousand Year Door. The other Mario variants are more talkative than that, even Super Mario Kun, so I presume when some people say Mario is silent, they think of Paper Mario.

Speaking of that, isn't it funny that the Mario characters only voices in English, compared to Sonic having more voice actors speaking different languages?

Thank you for reading.

Everyone in Paper Jam is supposedly an expert lip reader. Paper Mario can talk by moving his mouth, but has no speech balloons or voice clips whatsoever.

Also, you can make Mario and Luigi talk a whole lot in Superstar Saga (at least in the deluxe version) by mashing the L or R buttons.

Paper Mario 64 Mario and preCharles Martinet Mario are probably the most silent pauvre cons there are. I think every Paper Mario game after Thousand-Year Door has Mario grunting. I think when people say Mario is silent, they think not only about Paper Mario, but the overall portrayals in Superstar Baseball, Super Sluggers, Mario Golf: World Tour, Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix, and probably Mario Tennis Aces in the future (see that Toad insidiously standing next to him, that sneaky evil fil de pute).

Easter Yoshi said:
Also, you can make Mario and Luigi talk a whole lot in Superstar Saga (at least in the deluxe version) by mashing the L or R buttons.
Oh wait, they returned that in the remake??? It's so weird that they did because every game after Superstar Saga seemed to have drop that.

YAMP! OY! HAMMER! THUNDERRRRR!
YAMP! SPEEN! HAMMUH! FAIYA!

LeftyGreenMario said:
Paper Mario 64 Mario and preCharles Martinet Mario are probably the most silent pauvre cons there are. I think every Paper Mario game after Thousand-Year Door has Mario grunting. I think when people say Mario is silent, they think not only about Paper Mario, but the overall portrayals in Superstar Baseball, Super Sluggers, Mario Golf: World Tour, Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix, and probably Mario Tennis Aces in the future (see that Toad insidiously standing next to him, that sneaky evil fil de pute).

I played Colour Splash and not once did I hear Mario spouting grunts or catchphrases, unlike in The Thousand Year Door. Because of that, I am led to believe that Sticker Star is similar, where Mario is completely silent. However, I won't be surprised if Super Paper Mario did have Mario do grunts, because you jump a great deal more in that game (and it's a successor of The Thousand Year Door, the game where Mario grunts).

I am not convinced that Mario's silent in the Baseball games. Don't you remember the credits in those games?

Thank you for reading.

Super Paper Mario indeed uses similar short grunts to TTYD. Honestly I'm not a fan of his voice being removed, especially since he's the only character to lose a voice. Luigi still has voice clips in Color Splash, as does Bowser. Peach might not though, though she definitely did in TTYD and SPM. Though, Luigi just sounds full-on like main series Luigi in CS, as opposed to SPM where his grunts were similar to Mario's.

They went for his speech part of the brain, then they went for his vocal chords. :'(

winstein said:
I am not convinced that Mario's silent in the Baseball games. Don't you remember the credits in those games?

Thank you for reading.
Well, I always know he at least makes noises, but it's his utter silence in the story modes of those games (even when an NPC), is really jarring and awkward. I hate it. It also makes other characters look like they're talking to themselves.

While Mario does have sound clips that are used in the story mode of London 2012 for the 3DS, he's one of only four characters who don't actually have speech bubbles of dialogue (The others being Luigi, Sonic and Metal Sonic (But I presume he doesn't speak much normally because he's a robot)). He's either telepathically understood by other characters, interpreted by Tails or Toad, or communicates via hand movements, nods, question marks and exclamation marks. They even use a really limited selection of sound clips. I think it's probably the quietest and least expressive I've ever seem Mario. Even the Goomba Kamek disguises as Mario is more expressive.

winstein said:
Speaking of that, isn't it funny that the Mario characters only voices in English, compared to Sonic having more voice actors speaking different languages?
Actually...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YaaapCziqs[/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz35rlJUgbY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud4wu3UZVg0
[/youtube]

Sadly, not as far as I know, unless they added them on Nintendo Kids Club (EU) or Play Nintendo (NA).
By the way, there are also episodes fully dubbed in Japanese, which are still aired but I didn't include as they don't seem to match the Western ones.

Mister Wu said:
winstein said:
Actually...

I meant more of the voices within the games. That is, unless they started using those voices in their respective languages, such as when you select the French option in Super Mario Odyssey and the voice changed to the French voice actors'.

Thank you for reading.

Princess Mario said:
Fidelroyolonda Smackonmybuddyboosters III said:
Can't believe you all forgot the best game ever made

Hotel Mario
I didn't; I mentioned it in my post.
i must've missed it, i actually had to ctrl + f to find your mention, but there it is

and here i am responding almost an entire month later

i'm not very observant, am i?

Nah, that happens to people.

BBQ Turtle said:
While Mario does have sound clips that are used in the story mode of London 2012 for the 3DS, he's one of only four characters who don't actually have speech bubbles of dialogue (The others being Luigi, Sonic and Metal Sonic (But I presume he doesn't speak much normally because he's a robot)). He's either telepathically understood by other characters, interpreted by Tails or Toad, or communicates via hand movements, nods, question marks and exclamation marks. They even use a really limited selection of sound clips. I think it's probably the quietest and least expressive I've ever seem Mario. Even the Goomba Kamek disguises as Mario is more expressive.
A very sad sight.

And Sonic fans also get to experience a taste of how Mario fans like me feel on a regular basis.

Sonic acts like a total brain-damaged numbskull in London 3DS. I had to laugh at him when he's trying to communicate and no words come out, but you know, joke's on me.

I think what makes Sonic even more awkward is that he's supposed to be a talkative character with a personality, unlike, sigh, Mario. Maybe not Classic Sonic, but for modern Sonic, the one I'm used to, yeah, he's clearly his own character with a personality, not intended to be a "character avatar who is a stand-in for the player".

Yeah.

The scene ends up being Tails the only one out of the playable three who can talk. It's ridiculous to witness.

25305Story-Mode-19.jpg
25341Story-Mode-51.jpg

M%26SLOGStory2.jpg

This in contrast with other groups, where everyone has speech, as far as I know. I didn't bother playing enough to see if that's really true or my memory serving me bad, to be fair, because London 2012 is a bad gaem.

So only TWO of five characters talk. We all know why Toad's here because Mario and Luigi need someone to hand-hold them and the silent protagonist thing is a fucking terrible idea.

All other three would just be staring at Tails.

How Tails doesn't go utterly insane at constantly talking to himself, well, that's props to him. No amount of stand-ins isn't going to make characters here look any less awkward. It might've worked better in Half-Life or Portal, but even those aren't without their criticism. It worked in Doom because the character has his own agency without looking awkward as hell. Doesn't work here.

I don't know what's more awkward. Subspace Emissary or this. At least in Subspace Emissary, characters being unable to talk is a consistent trait, even if a lot of the characters featured in it do actually talk in their source games, unlike in the Mario & Sonic games where it's inconsistent on who talks and who doesn't.

Mario and Luigi is...a bit understandable...even when I don't agree with it...I can see where they came from, but Sonic being unable to articulate is extremely baffling to me. What, he's a main character too, and main characters just can't talk?

Princess Mario said:
This in contrast with other groups, where everyone has speech, as far as I know. I didn't bother playing enough to see if that's really true or my memory serving me bad, to be fair, because London 2012 is a bad gaem.
Yeah, everyone else gets speech, the other playable characters, the extra ones to add to the plot (Kamek, Lakitu, Espio, etc.), even the Dry Bones that just makes non-translated clacking sounds. Seriously, he gets a speech bubble just to go "Clackity-clack" but Mario and Luigi get a Toad. It's ridiculous.

Sega did (eventually) catch it apparently: Sonic speaks in Rio 2016.
But Mario & Luigi are still silent. :(

Sonic did recover from brain damage.

Luigi's is only partially broken, thankfully.

Mario's is beyond repair though.

Back