Favorite and least favorite Mario characters

Baby Luigi said:
Mr. Saltman said:
Favourite? I can't believe no one's saying Bowser. He's the most developed Mario character!

Mcmadness did imply Bowser in his post

Technically he just said his fav was obvious, not that it was Bowser lol.

I mean no one aside from him did.

i honestly would like to know about this ''development'' because as far as the games go, Bowser is that cartoon villian that can literally die and appear in the next episode as if nothing happened.

Other than that, he doesn't do much, like many other characters.

I don't know about development, but I do like his dialogue in Mario Party games and how he knows he's bad and he thrives in how bad he is.

"developed" is hardly how I'd describe anybody in this franchise.

Plus thats not why I like him anyhow.

Mr. Saltman said:
Why do you like him?

He's a fire breathing maybe magical turtle monster with a huge ego thats covered in spikes and is so over the top manly/hammy it's glorious.

I think you meant hilarious.

So it's not because he's developed.

What I meant by that is he has a way more dialogue than other characters, he's a dad, he has ego, lots of powers, blah blah etc etc.

That Dimentio hate tho, I don't get it. Is it because of the clashing design he has with the rest of the "normal" Mario characters in the game (you know, the ones that don't look like squares or circles or triangles or other geometric shapes)? I don't find it that bad.

Several characters have tons of dialogue as well, that's not exclusive to Bowser tbh-

Same with the powers, several characters can also use fire, magic and whatnot.

Ego is not a likeable trait.

The only thing i would rescue from this is his relationship with Bowser Jr. , but other than that Bowser is just not that special per see , not too different from other villians.

Swiftie_Luma said:

Ego is what makes him hilarious. You're supposed to laugh at him trying to be evil (or simply not care about it even), not take him seriously.

Ego in of itself can be good or bad. It's how it's executed is what really matters. Generally, though, if a loser has an ego and gets what he deserves (like through karma), it's fine.

Mr. Saltman said:
What I meant by that is he has a way more dialogue than other characters, he's a dad, he has ego, lots of powers, blah blah etc etc.

That Dimentio hate tho, I don't get it. Is it because of the clashing design he has with the rest of the "normal" Mario characters in the game (you know, the ones that don't look like squares or circles or triangles or other geometric shapes)? I don't find it that bad.
bolded: hence why I want my characters to get dialogue. We've all seen Bowser without dialogue. It's bland as hell, in addition to the lack of variety of expressions Paper Mario games allow. In you-know-who's case, it's insulting, moreso that even when he's a non-playable character, he fails to talk in any meaningful way and acts like an jumping moron who bashed his posterior inferior frontal gyrus way too hard.

Dimentio is a character trope that has been done to death and contributes little on his own. Most Paper Mario OCs, I was never really attached to them though, and I feel they take some of that spotlight because there is so limited interaction between the "player character" and his own world.

...You mean Mario? You saying he's a generic and bland character...?

Crap, I never thought about it before :( .

Swiftie_Luma said:
Several characters have tons of dialogue as well, that's not exclusive to Bowser tbh-

Same with the powers, several characters can also use fire, magic and whatnot.

The only thing i would rescue from this is his relationship with Bowser Jr. , but other than that Bowser is just not that special per see , not too different from other villians.

Well it's the combination of the traits and how they are executed that makes me like it. I just gave a very rough descriptor.

And I disagree with ego being a non-likeable trait. A person being full of themselves can be endearing if they actually back it up or go about it in a charismatic way.

It's often what makes villains likeable, even ones who are just absolutely terrible people.

Though it sadly often leads to people trying to undermine the terrible things many badguys have done over the years or claim they are "misunderstood" or whatever rubbish.

Mr. Saltman said:
...You mean Mario? You saying he's a generic and bland character...?
I can see the sarcasm right through. He's definitely not generic. Have you ever seen any similar character in another series like him? No, because his design is a complete accident.

Mario at least has a rich history of things. You want bland, look at Yoshi. OH BOY HE TRIES TO BE CUTE AND HE EATS A LOT! And besides, given the personality standards of the Mario series, Mario isn't THAT bland.

Wouldn't say anyone in the series is generic, on the other hand. Generic would be, like, the New Donkers.

I mean generic in personality. Obviously Mario is not generic in appereance because he's not just knight who has to save a princess from a red Dragon.

Also if you don't like "cute but not cute" characters, try Birdo. Cool enemy, but not cute at all.

I never cared too much about Yoshi, but he's a cool power-up.

Which Mario character doesn't have a generic personality?

Never said cuteness is bland. I said Yoshi's only traits are being expendable, trying to look cute when it's not, and its "personality" traits are way too similar to Mario (except even blander because at least Mario has other people he interact with including Luigi, himself :babymario:, Peach, Bowser, and maybe Toad?)

Birdo, I don't like her personality and she also happens to be ugly, so meh. To her credit, she's not some homogeneous stilt-leg hourglass female as how Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, and Pauline are.

Baby Luigi said:
Which Mario character doesn't have a generic personality?

Bowser

Luigi

Wario

Others

The whole Marioverse cast is really big, You can't call them all "generic".

Mr. Saltman said:

Generic bad guy

Mr. Saltman said:

Generic coward who sometimes gets brave.

Mr. Saltman said:

Generic greedy fat man.

Mr. Saltman said:
The whole Marioverse cast is really big, You can't call them all "generic".

I mean, yeah the characters in of themselves are not generic.

Their personalities are.

Their personalities at best are comparable to Left 4 Dead 2 survivors, and those guys are supposed to be archetypes, but their voice acting makes them fun. So really, you don't need developed characters to like them.

Exactly. I derive tons of enjoyment from Bowser's dialogue in the Mario Party games and I have lots of fun playing as Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. I just won't give them credit for traits they don't necessarily have.

what i liked about Rosalina is that she was kinda an archetype as well (mature woman that doesn't talk a lot) but she was one that was breaking the wall between all this generic happyness and loud enveoirment that the rest of the characters make.

Nintendo deciding to make her like them is even worse because she is just not herself anymore.

I wish they let Rosalina appear in Odyssey because i just listened to Peach's lines in that game and Peach sounds very different... more mature ...

what i meant with this is that im sure once they record new Rosalina lines they will try to rescue her past character if that game is a more serious one...

all the rambling aside , im still not seeing Bowser's development tbh.

Peach used to be like that too. When she wasn't yelling for help she was generally shown as refined and well spoken.

But once you start going to parties and playing sports, the refinement just goes away.

Baby Luigi said:
Generic bad guy

Oi, King Egger from the Adventures of Lolo is a generic badguy.

I've been exposed to a lot of different media in my life and I still can't find anybody that is quite like him that existed before he was created.

I mean yeah Bowser is of a typical archtype, even based off a specific character from a film but even then the similarities are only visual.

Peach was also portayed as a bit of a spoiled prep back in the Wii era, complete with tantrum throwing (see Super Paper Mario and Super Mario Strikers).

I am surprised to see how civil this topic is currently, whereas I expected it to be unpleasant due to the nature of this topic. Here's hoping that this keeps up.

Favourite (assuming only one choice): Mario. There are a few characters I could consider favourites, but if there's one character that I like, it would be Mario because he's a mascot character that is organically one and not engineered as one (such as Sonic), since he has several characteristics that are not typical of mascots, such as being a human (typically animals are mascots), is not young (must be the moustache) and his design is based on design limitations to make him stand out. He's also a very cheerful person with the best voice because you will not expect a person like Mario to have a high-pitched voice that is also cheerful. Beyond this, the Mario characters I like are the ones that are outside the main cast besides Mario, which includes Daisy, Wario, Waluigi and Pauline, because they are featured less often so their appearance is more noteworthy compared to the likes of Luigi, Bowser, Peach and Yoshi (Toads are cool, though).

Least Favourite: Baby Wario. The only character I feel has the least amount of both purpose and charm that makes the character worthwhile, only because this character is made to be prominent (one of the Star Children!?) yet only appears in one game and never again. I guess money is important in Yoshi's Island DS so they made a character who does that and I guess getting 100% is easier with this skill. Even the other Baby characters appeared more often, and I even consider Baby Daisy having more of a point than Baby Wario mainly for appearing more often, despite starting out in a Mario Kart game!

Thank you for reading.

Back