Smash Bros. Character Merit (Ultimate Edition)

Re: Smash Bros. Character Merit (Switch Edition)

GalacticPetey said:
Regarding Chorus Men, a series icon for Rhythm Heaven was found grouped with the other playable series icons by dataminers. That plus the Gematsu leak makes me think the Chorus Men or a RH character in general was planned.
Weasel said:
If you were unaware, Celica (along with Alm) originated in Gaiden, the second game in the series. This game saw a very well received remake recently with Shadows of Valentia. While technically not recent, they both are relevant again in the FE community. There are even 2 versions of Celica in Heroes. She's also Warriors while Alm isn't.

Personally I can't say of any of that increases her chances for a Smash appearance. Having played through SoV twice now, I don't think there's much she could bring to the table that Robin doesn't since she's also a sword-wielding mage. Magic works differently in her game in that spell casting hurts the caster and I don't think anyone would want another Pichu scenario.

Thanks for the feedback.

So yeah Chorus Men is looking like a real strong possibility

And I did see that Celica had some recency with some recent titles. But wasn't sure if that was enough. It might make her at least a little more likelier then I made her out to be but I think competition will still be fierce.

Anyway back to the merit thoughts

Okami

Type of Character: 3rd Party Newcomer
Franchise: Okami

My Level of Want

Would be ok, though I've never played Okami. Though I think I saw at least most of Chuggaaconroy's let's play of the game. And it seemed nice enough. Capcom's already got Mega Man and Ryu in there though. Maybe give some space for other companies to have their shot. Otherwise this starts turning into Nintendo Vs. Capcom

Estimated Chance

Just going to repeat this: Capcom already has Megaman and Ryu. And as loved as Okami is the character probably isn't the legend of gaming Mega Man and Ryu are. There may even be stiff competition from other Capcom franchises if for some reason they gave Capcom a 3rd character like Dante or Phoenix Wright.

Balloon Fighter

Type of Character: Newcomer
Franchise: Balloon Fight

My Level of Want

Would be a relatively well known retro character coming in. So I'd be fine. Sakurai considered him back in the Melee days. Maybe Jigglypuff would finally have a challenge in terms of having the best air game/recovery

Estimated Chance

With how many chances since Melee that Balloon Fighter failed to make it. I'm not sure if it will ever happen. I think Villager's recovery is pretty much Balloon Fighter in spirit. So basically Villager is as close as we're going to get.

Ashley

Franchise: Warioware

My Level of Want

I do like Ashley, though probably far from GBA Toad's like for her, heh. She's probably a strong candidate should Wario recieve a 2nd rep. On a side note I am glad that even if it's mostly just remade classic games we have something new for WarioWare to look forward to. Always loved that series. So addicting

Estimated Chance

May be slightly higher then before thanks to WarioWare Gold. But I think it's more likely her assist trophy appearance returns instead. If they decide to give Wario more characters, Ashley is a strong candidate though.

Sora

Franchise: Kingdom Hearts

My Level of Want

Never played the Kingdom Hearts series. But Sora is kinda the only character semi-owned by Disney to have any shot in Smash. Though because he's kind of part Disney, that kind of makes it more difficult to include him because could they get away with making 4th Party trophies or even background appearences for Mickey, Donald, and/or Goofy? If they didn't include anything Disney and just do the Square/Final Fantasy stuff that kinda nerfs representing the series for what it is. So it's kinda complicated.

Estimated Chance

Even beyond the complications of Disney. And while there have been Kingdom Hearts games on Nintendo systems before (GBA and DS games if I recall correctly). None of the main series Kingdom Hearts games have made it onto a Nintendo console. And I don't think KH3 is going to arrive on Switch any time soon. So Sora's in quite the pickle. You have the strange part Disney ownership, Square already got Cloud in and he'd likely come back if Square were to include a character, Kingdom Hearts doesn't even have the advantage Final Fantasy has that it once was an exclusive franchise in the old days, and Square does have other franchises that could prove to be stiff competition even beyond that. So I think Sora's not any more likely then he was last time. Cloud, who is even a character who appears in Kingdom Hearts sometimes pretty much sunk his chances.

Last Dragonborn/Dovahkiin

Franchise: The Elder Scrolls

My Level of Want

I've never played Skyrim. Despite the attempts to port that to literally every gaming device that released at the time or after Skyrim was originally made. But he's an extremely "eh" character. Like even more so then a random Fire Emblem character. Why would we ever get a 3rd Party character that's supposed to be an avatar for the player? That's fair game for some 1st party characters like the Miis, Robin, Villager, and so on. But a 3rd party avatar character? It'd be pretty questionable.

Estimated Chance

I'm willing to admit that 3rd Parties have become a much wider open door then ever before. But I do still think the 3rd parties have to be recognizable to the general gaming public. While I don't think Bayonetta is on the legend status of the previous 3rd party characters to get in Smash, she was instantly recognizable once she appeared in her Smash trailer. While Dovahkiin does have a default appearance in promotional stuff for Skyrim, the fact that he's customizable means that appearance may not be the one that defines him for everybody. They could give him Male and female alts like many of the characters in Smash 4 that did that. But I think a 3rd party character in Smash must have a recognized appearance that makes you feel "OH THAT's *insert character*" once you see them. Those who aren't that familiar with Skyrim may be confused who he is until they finally name him. And that's not a good sign for a 3rd party character at all. It's cool people will have Skyrim portable on the Switch. But to the level of including the avatar of the game to Smash? I just don't see it.

Crash Bandicoot

Franchise: Crash Bandicoot

My Level of Want

Oh man, you have no idea how much I'd love it if it were to happen. I do really like the Crash franchise. Hell, I do have the N. Sane Trilogy on my PS4. And I'm considering getting it again on the Switch just because of the portability aspect. Also back when Playstation All-Stars was new, I said that the only way I was getting that game is if Crash made it in. And unfortunately he didn't, and to this day I still have not played Playstation All-Stars. So Crash was a pretty big deal for me. It would be super hilarious to see all the characters that Playstation looked over and know that Nintendo got to use them at least once like Snake, Ryu, and Cloud. And now Crash be added to all that. Mario, Sonic, and Crash have been on the same console before with the Gamecube, DS, and Wii games. But to have all three of them in one game will make all those who grew up and/or their childhood was in the late 90's squee in delight. I don't think it'd be on the level of what's already been achieved with Megaman and Pac-Man. But nonetheless very cool.

Estimated Chance

The N. Sane Trilogy being ported to the Switch certainly makes the chances higher then they were before. As last time we didn't even know if Crash was ever going to return at all. By default his chances are so much better as a result. He's certainly a dark horse candidate for a 3rd party newcomer spot. He just might be beaten ahead by other characters like say... Rayman. But he probably has a better chance now then Banjo-Kazooie at least. Hey, the way 3rd parties went even back in Smash 4 means just about anything's possible now. 3rd Parties can't get 2 characters? Ryu. Must have history on Nintendo consoles? Cloud. Must be a longtime well-known icon of gaming? Bayonetta. I think Crash is more then a possibility then he ever was. It probably won't be enough, but if it's going to happen. It can now.

Impa

Franchise: Zelda

My Level of Want

Again, not into the Zelda series. Covered her last time, and she is one of the few other then Triforce 3 to have recurring appearances even if vastly different versions. She's often either a warrior character mentioned to be Zelda's mentor or an old lady with lots of wisdom. In the most recent game, Breath of the Wild she's back as an old lady. But if she were to get in Smash. She'd likely be in the form she takes in Hyrule Warriors which harkens back to her Ocarina of Time appearance as a Shiekah warrior. Which could be cool but might get people worried she'd be at best an Luigified Shiek

Estimated Chance

Unfortunately, I don't have any more reason to change from what I said last time for most Zelda characters. That no matter what, the Zelda representation seems to be doomed to be restricted to Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and any alternate versions of those 3. They could be clever by having Zelda be BOTW Zelda with much of the same moves she had in Smash 4. And Impa replacing Shiek and having Shiek's moves. But that might be somethings that fans of Shiek can't get behind even if Impa plays exactly like Shiek did. Or even especially if Impa plays just like Shiek.

What are your thoughts on existing third-party franchises getting second reps?

Weasel said:
What are your thoughts on existing third-party franchises getting second reps?

Hm, this isn't exactly character specific. But I still like this question. In general, I would be ok with it. But it has to be the right character. That 2nd character has to be an icon of gaming on their own right even if of course they aren't the main character of their franchise.

Not including Metal Gear because unfortunately, I just don't think Snake is ever coming back. (But just for the sake of saying it if by some miracle it happened, it'd probably be Raiden)

I'll break it down by franchise:

Sonic the Hedgehog
I think Sonic is the most likely 3rd party franchise to get another rep. The franchise is still super popular. And it's many classic characters are arguably as hype-inducing as a new 3rd Party rep would be. Even if there would be some people hating it if they don't like Sonic games. But I think every potential 3rd Party character has their haters. Maybe Mega Man probably has the least because he is by far the best fit for a 3rd Party then any other given the history with Nintendo. But I'm sure you can find someone who absolutely despised the inclusion of most of the others. It wouldn't be any different with a 2nd Sonic character I feel. Well unless it's Shadow because that would absolutely be a controversial choice.

Anyway, I think the most likely characters would be Tails and/or Knuckles. Slight Dark Horse for Eggman. But I think I've said even in Smash the sidekicks tend to get in before the main villain. (Luigi got in before Bowser, and such). I'm personally pulling for Tails, but I'll be fine even if Sonic is left alone once again. I would love Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman to all be in. But that'd be quite greedy as that would be giving a 3rd party franchise more reps then most of the 1st party franchises most likely. Even with how popular Sonic is as a whole, I would understand why that would make people angry. I feel like Tails would be the most tolerable in terms of iconicness. He's Sonic's Luigi. It would absolutely make my entire life to see Sonic and Tails Vs. Mario and Luigi in Smash

Mega Man
Capcom already has a 2nd rep in Street Fighter. I think a different Capcom franchise would be more likely then a 2nd Mega Man character. If it did happen, it'd probably be Proto Man. Who would likely be at most Luigified from Mega Man. Maybe Dr. Wily? But I don't know about that. Though Zero from the Mega Man X series could be a dark horse.

Pac-Man
Does Pac-Man really have anyone that wouldn't be better served as an alternate costume? Ms. Pac-Man would probably be the most likely. And they can just make that an Alt. just like the gendered alts many other characters got. They wouldn't even need to hire another voice actor. Ms. Pac-Man would be easy to make an alt.

Street Fighter
Again just like with Mega Man. Capcom would likely add a different franchise were they to get a 3rd rep in. But Street Fighter does have a solid amount of fighters that could bring something to the table. I think M. Bison would probably be one of the most likely characters. Chun-Li and Ken would also be possibilities.

Final Fantasy
I actually think Final Fantasy could potentially be the 2nd most likely to get another rep in the same franchise. Cloud's iconic and deserves to be the first representative for Smash. But it would be something to have a 2nd representative that represents the classic games that were on the SNES or NES. Whether they go with Terra from FF6 or go to more of a generic route with the Warriors of Light, Black Mage, etc. I think it's still rather unlikely, but hey there's always the Dissidia series to satisfy the Final Fantasy fans.

Bayonetta
It would be a huge stretch for any other character then Bayonetta from her own series to make it. Only other character I suppose would be Jeanne given she's the trophy that shows up in Smash 4 after buying Bayonetta. People already kinda question how Bayonetta got in Smash to begin with. Do you know how many people would riot if somehow Bayonetta got a 2nd rep over other things? Yeah, Bayonetta's franchise is definitely the least likely out of any of the 3rd parties to get a 2nd rep.

I honestly think if square was gonna get another rep they'd pick sora (there were rumors that kingdom hearts 3 would be on the switch)

Bloc Québécois said:
I honestly think if square was gonna get another rep they'd pick sora (there were rumors that kingdom hearts 3 would be on the switch)

I just don't know. Again I feel like the part-Disney ownership kind of makes Sora more complicated then most potential 3rd Party characters. I mean, they could just represent whatever is from Final Fantasy or was it's own thing in Kingdom Hearts and not refer to anything Disney perhaps. But then that wouldn't exactly be fair because it would misrepresent the series because the Disney half of it is a big part of the franchise. A franchise being represented in Smash should be relative to what the series has to offer. And they'd need to kinda have some kinda deal with Disney about it.

And i have no idea how complicated copyright would make that.

GalacticPetey said:
I could also see a Dragon Quest character of some sort.

Oh yeah I almost forgot about Dragon Quest. Certainly a protagonist from that series would be a possibilitiy. (It wouldn't be just the Slime like they did for Sports Mix, but maybe they could incorporate the slimes to whichever Dragon Quest Hero they choose in their moveset in some way or another.)

I think it's gonna come down to if kingdom hearts 3 comes out on the switch or not
if it does I think Sora's got a pretty good chance.

I thought the whole "has to be on a Nintendo system" "rule" was bunk the moment Cloud showed his ugly face.

I'm more worried about Disney's copyright then anything else regarding Sora. It's true that Cloud showed you don't necessarily have to have a presence on Nintendo consoles to make it.

Though like I said earlier, Cloud is an icon of a series that used to be exclusive to Nintendo systems and probably would of remained on Nintendo had the Nintendo-Sony CD based system hadn't fallen through. Kingdom Hearts has only had spin-off games on Nintendo handhelds and none of the main series. I think that's a significant difference enough to make it a bit harder to see Sora get in Smash.

But hey I'm not saying it's impossible. Just giving reasons why it feels unlikely. If I'm wrong, I'll be willing to eat my words.

I figured Sakurai's reasoning for Cloud was that Cloud was an iconic video game character who can get an interesting moveset. Beyond that, it's just fans making up rules by seeing patterns that don't exist. I don't know if Disney has the copyright on Sora, but if they don't, it'll be hard to avoid references to Disney (trophy descriptions, moveset itself) without stripping what makes Sora Sora.

Most of Smash speculation I admit is based on people seeing what they want to see based on patterns or clues that think support their characters.

I won't lie that there are many things I've said that turned out wrong. Hell, I had an entire spiel and/or doubt on Dr. Mario and Roy in the previous merit thread. Yet I was made to look like a fool when they turned up in Smash 4 anyway. But it's alright, even wrong predictions are kind of part of the deal.

My entire OP might be useless if it turns out they had no problems with returning everybody from the previous game just like that. (Though tbh I'd be fine with that, because no cuts would be preferable to me even if that meant a smaller batch of newcomers). But right or wrong I do like delving into speculation anyhow. I've always found it fun since the Brawl days.

I know this is never going to happen, but what would you say about Dimentio?

People might reason that if there are serious budget constraints in the game, the clones have a chance of going since they are dispensable. This is what happened to Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario, and Roy into the transition to Brawl (Dr. Mario and Roy were planned, however, but probably couldn't get in because Falco and Ganon got decloned so Dr. Mario and Roy would require effort to be declone here, assuming that developers wanted to declone them). Reality is though, characters with unique movesets have more of a chance to go because they take much more effort to transition to the next game. Mewtwo. After all, all the characters that were cut in Smash 4 had all pretty unique movesets: Lucas (added later as paid DLC), Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Ice Climbers. The last three were likely from game constraints. Squirtle and Ivysaur would probably saturate the roster, but at the same time, transformations can't be done due to the 3DS limitations. Charizard is kept because it's iconic, though I feel the three are a package and so it's strange Charizard is there. Finally, Melee was developed with severe time constraints and it probably has the most clones in the series: Falco, Young Link, Roy, Ganondorf, Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Smash 4 itself has nearly identical characters being Dark Pit and Lucina.

What's your opinion on Doomguy? I think he would make for a funny character, with all his guns being used for smash attacks and the BFG being the Final Smash of course. He's also a highly iconic character and we also had a surprising Doom port to Switch and also, there is a special history with John Romero and Super Mario Bros. 3. There is also this badass shirt but that's a side thing lol, but I guess it comes full circle.

Dimentio

Franchise: Mario

My Level of Want

Dimentio's an alright villain from what is probably the most divisive Paper Mario game. I personally find Super Paper Mario to be a perfectly alright game that just doesn't hold a candle to the first two games. But I suppose some may take more kindly to it after the way the franchise has gone in the past two games. However in terms of Dimentio for Smash, I don't even think he'd be the antagonist chosen if for some reason they decided of all things to let a Super Paper Mario villain be playable in the game.

Estimated Chance

Probably even lower then Fawful at this rate. And like I mentioned he likely wouldn't be the first choice from his own game not counting the Paper iterations of the Mario characters, even if Dimentio is kinda the true big bad of Super Paper Mario, Count Bleck would have more priority. But realistically, the answer is still generally that it's Paper Mario or bust for reps from Mario RPGs (With a small possibility of Geno now too)

Doomguy

Franchise: Doom

My Level of Want

It'd be interesting for sure. He may be from a more mature rated franchise but when we've had Solid Snake and Bayonetta get into Smash. Doomguy really isn't that far off. He's one of the most iconic characters for basically jumpstarting the first person shooter genre of games. Many famous franchises that rake in millions of dollars these days owe alot to Doomguy. Halo, Call of Duty, and many others might of never came into existence without Doom being the hit that it was. And hey the latest Doom did get on Switch. Surprising quite a bit of people when it was announced. Given Nintendo's kiddy reputation.

Estimated Chance

With the door wide open to many more 3rd parties then ever before. I wouldn't say he's out of the question. I don't think he's particularly likely as I still think more cartoony 3rd parties have an upper-hand. But among the smorgasbord of surprising but possible 3rd party characters, he could be among them.

Bloc Québécois said:
The Kingdom Hearts characters aren't owned by square enix, they're owned by Disney.

Can’t wait for the Kingdom Hearts movie then.

How likely do you think Mike (Startropics) is?

Mike

Franchise: StarTropics

My Level of Want

Had hardly any idea before I looked him up for this. From what I can quickly gather StarTropics is a rather obscure game that was praised for being a bit of an evolution of the style of gameplay the original Zelda introduced. Also interesting to note that now i know Ness wasn't the first Nintendo game protagonist to wield a bat into Battle. If Mike found his way to Smash that's something that could give him a connection to a longtime veteran of the games.

Estimated Chance

Well obviously Mike has other retro characters to compete with. But I think there's one other problem that might hurt Mike's chances more then anything: He's one of the few Nintendo franchises that while developed by Japanese developers that lived in the US. Neither of the two games ever officially released in Japan. And it's unfortunate, but literally 99% of all characters to be playable in Smash was made by Japanese-based creators AND released in Japan. The only character playable in Smash that wasn't created in Japan was Diddy Kong. Hell, the 2nd StarTropics game was exclusive to North America at least until Virtual Console got it to Europe on the Wii. If Mike gets in Smash you'll have a lot of confused Japanese fans. Sure, that's never stopped them from adding characters obscure to anyone outside of Japan in Smash. But when most of the developers of Smash are based in Japan there's going to be a bit of a bias towards that side of the world. There's plenty of retro obscure characters that would be more recognizable to the Japanese public and that Sakurai may have interest in adding. Unless a Smash Bros. game is ever created in America, Mike's going to have a difficult time finding his way in.

Pardon the double post. But I thought of doing a bit of a bonus thing for all the previous characters I gave out thoughts about their chances. And that is should they get in, whether they're more likely to be in the main game or as post-release DLC further down the line. There are 3 categories in this and I have put all the characters even if I said they were completely unlikely in the groups. This is a speculation where I guess they would be added if by chance they did make it.

1st: Main Game
This of course meaning they'd most likely be in the game as soon as it releases. Remember that most characters that we see at release are decided ahead of time. So these characters generally have to have been relevant at the time development began (Most likely around 2016) or they are characters Sakurai might personally pick, or mandated by Nintendo in some fashion. This also comes at a danger, because in all likelihood a good majority of these characters are likely never coming to Smash switch if they aren't here in the main game. Because this category is full of characters who were either considered some of the top characters in the ballot, 1st party characters that Nintendo feels need promotion, obscure characters that Sakurai personally picks and/or not popular enough of a request to justify making people pay to add them to the roster. While some of these could still end up being DLC. These characters are just in my personal opinion are more likely to be seen in the main game should they make it rather then later down the road. In other words, the clock is ticking for a majority of these characters

2nd: Either/Or
These characters have a slight possibility of being in the Main game. But could also just as easily be DLC later on. Most likely this would be 3rd party characters that were relevant at the time development began and it just depends when they negotiated the rights to use the character. But they could also be fresh new 1st Party characters that were on the rise at the time or not long before the game started development. Supporters of these characters will have been holding their breaths and crossing their fingers since this game was announced and still will be until either they jump in joy because their character made it or look down in sadness as the final drop of DLC for Smash Switch drips down. Any veterans that didn't make the cut for Smash 4 also are a prime candidate for this section. For the exception of a certain duo known for climbing ice.

3rd: DLC
These characters are pretty much only possible in DLC. Because there is no way they were considered for the main game either because either they had no games ported to Nintendo systems at the time and/or weren't relevant at the time development started, The sheer unlikeliness of the character makes them only a miracle DLC run could push them in, or they're a character like Corrin that Nintendo may want to mandate and make you pay for them for one reason or another. Maybe even something like Cloud in that they were hardly ever on Nintendo games before or at the very least not in a very long time.

With that out of the way. With all the previous characters I was asked to rate chances for. They will now be split into the groups mentioned

Main Game

• Takamaru (Only happens if Sakurai just says "Screw it, I want Takamaru now!")
• Spring Man (Nintendo Mandate and/or Sakurai wants a long-ranged brawler)
• King K. Rool (Was considered the top choice in the ballot almost everywhere. Has to absolutely be in the main game)
• Waluigi (As popular Waluigi can be, I think if he's not playable in the Main game. He's probably an Assist Trophy. Again)
• Chorus Kids/Misc. Rhythm Heaven rep (A heavy consideration during the Smash 4 period should mean great likeihood for this game. If not, they will only stay a consideration and nothing else)
• Dixie Kong (A choice that would be good to pad out the newcomer pool some more and some promotion for the port of Tropical Freeze)
• Daisy (As I said, she's in the same position Waluigi is in currently. Only if she doesn't get in the main game. Then Peach just gets to wear her clothes. Again)
• Issac (A character that missed their chance in the Brawl days, then gets removed as an Assist Trophy from the next game can only really get in if Sakurai has an epiphany that he completely forgot about Issac and promotes him to playable this time around. I unfortunately don't think he has nearly the popularity power to get in as DLC)
• Stunt Racer (A crazy idea like this could come from that WTF choice that seems to happen in every new Smash game)
• Paper Mario (As popular as the Mario RPG's are, they are a bit on the niche side of things by now and for casual viewers a 3rd Mario being offered up as DLC may feel desperate)
• Impa (Until Sakurai thinks there are other characters worthy of inclusion from the Zelda series asides from some form of Link, Zelda, and Ganon. Impa's going to have a difficult time, much less chosen as DLC)
• Mike (Startropics) (A choice that would cause all of Japan to go "Who?" could only be a random inclusion. I suppose it would be fair if for once Japan was the country getting the WTF character treatment)
• Fawful (See Paper Mario. Only even less of a chance even if he is an original character)
• Balloon Fighter (A retro newcomer choice only Sakurai would go with. Villager most likely killed him, buried him, and then took his balloon helmet and balloons though)
• Ashley (See Waluigi)
• Dimentio (See Paper Mario and Fawful. Only even less of a chance then Fawful)

Either/Or
• Wonder Red (Wonderful 101 port might not even be out by the time Smash arrives. I think any contact with PlatinumGames would only concern negotiating all over again for Bayonetta only. But should Sakurai nudge them for another. Just maybe)
• Bomberman (Who knows what kind of shit Konami would put Nintendo through before they finally agree to add Bomberman. With how shitty Konami has been, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo does ask Konami for the rights to Bomberman. But they say no and actually maintain that position)
• Rayman (Could easily be the premiere 3rd Party used to help promote the game. But there is a chance Ubisoft makes Nintendo wait until they see if the Switch is a success first. We know they quickly abandoned ship as soon as the Wii U started performing below expectations)
• Shovel Knight (Was possibly a top contender in the ballot. Not sure if it'd be enough to make him main game material. I think DLC would be a better fit. Maybe even a compromise for those who don't want indie characters in Smash. Don't want them? Don't buy them!)

DLC
• Celica (Who would of thought two of the DLC characters for Smash 4 were going to be from Fire Emblem. Might as well have another possibly mandated one. Though Celica might at least be more popular then Corrin for having more history)
• Sora (The process of going to both Square and Disney about this would likely be hell. It really could only happen through DLC if it at any chance it does)
• Crash Bandicoot (At the time Smash Switch began development. N. Sane Trilogy was not released yet. Possibly even not known about yet. There is no way they negotiated the rights for Crash for Smash while the game was still PS4 exclusive. Crash would definitely be something needed to be saved for after that exclusive contract expired)
• Doomguy (Doom's port to the Switch just came this year. Doomguy would likely be a Cloud-like announcement in regards to the surprise 3rd Party DLC choice)
• Sans (Hell would have to freeze over for this to happen, but absolutely no way they talked to Toby about Smash back in 2016 when it wasn't quite yet "Best game ever" status. It'd have to be later. And again it'd be the player character, not Sans)
• Amaterasu (Okami port just came this year. That port would have to inspire a huge following to get in as DLC)
• Dovahkiin (No way this happens at all, but Skyrim Switch would have be super popular for it to happen. Given the game is more popular when mods are added and that's not currently possible with the Switch. No way Dovahkiin gets the push needed)

Also any future merit rates of characters from now on will include a 3rd underline section determining if they would be more likely to be in the main game, chance of either, or DLC

How about Rex, and what are the chances of him replacing Shulk?

And I know this is a very common question, but what are Ridley's chances?

Probably not a very likely character, but how about Chibi-Robo?

Some corrections.

Northern Verve said:
And because it hasn't got the Splatoon following I'm not exactly sure if there's that good of a chance Spring Man makes it.
Just because it wasn't as popular as Splatoon doesn't mean it was a failure. It actually did pretty well and has a loyal following. Especially in Japan. In fact it did better than the Pikmin games, and that has a character.

Northern Verve said:
I also can’t tell if Wonder Red would count as 3rd Party or not, since Nintendo actually published the game with Platinum games.
The Wonderful 101 is owned by Nintendo despite being made by Platinum Games. Nintendo owns the copyright and funded the game's production.

This one is more of a joke but I'm still interested in hearing your thoughts on Monokuma

Back