Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for 3DS and Nintendo Switch

Or, maybe both happened?

>insert thinking Mario gif

You know how, in the Wii U version, you could unlock the 3D World levels early with 3D World save data?

Well, according to the official site, in the Switch and 3DS versions, the early unlock method for the Odyssey levels requires one of the wedding amiibo rather than Odyssey save data. This is probably because Odyssey isn't playable on the 3DS version, so the save data method wouldn't work on that platform. Good thing I have those wedding amiibo.

It's nice to know that there's still an early unlock method for the Odyssey levels. I saw them in a YouTube video, and they really impressed me. I may buy this game again just to play them, but not at full price. Who knows, this may end up in the bargain bin one day. Kind of like how the Nintendo store has a permanent half-price sale on Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.

I think it's 40 dollars, that's not full price isn't it?

Everyone said:
I think it's 40 dollars, that's not full price isn't it?
That was the price of the Wii U version, before they announced the Switch version and dropped the Wii U price by $10.

But I still find it ironic how Nintendo threw Ultra Smash into a half-price bargain bin for eternity, instead of just lowering the MSRP.

I might buy it for $20 or maybe even $30, but $40 is a bit much for a game I already own.

Classic Nintendo not giving a crap about continuity and wanting to find an opportunity to advertise another game.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Classic Nintendo not giving a crap about continuity and wanting to find an opportunity to advertise another game.

Nintendo: "The Wii U version was a prequel to SM3W, this version will be the prequel to SMO!"
Me: "But there are no Captain Toad levels in SMO. What are you talking about?"
Nintendo: "Well, there are Captain Toad Power Moons"
Me: " :-\"

What would have been wrong with just leaving it the way it was? People act like porting Wii U games is an insult to the Wii U's legacy, but I feel like this is worse in that regard because it seems like they're acting like Super Mario 3D World and the Wii U version of Captain Toad never existed aside from a brief "oh yeah this game was originally on Wii U". I guess continuity doesn't matter in the Mario series anyway, but it's still disappointing.

Czario said:
What would have been wrong with just leaving it the way it was? People act like porting Wii U games is an insult to the Wii U's legacy, but I feel like this is worse in that regard because it seems like they're acting like Super Mario 3D World and the Wii U version of Captain Toad never existed aside from a brief "oh yeah this game was originally on Wii U". I guess continuity doesn't matter in the Mario series anyway, but it's still disappointing.
It's because of marketing purposes. For one thing, porting 3D World would be a bad decision for Nintendo because it might impact the sales of Odyssey. A 3D World port would also receive backlash from Wii U owners, as porting it might deal the final blow to the Wii U's legacy. But they still wanted to port Captain Toad, which caused complications because they had no intent to port 3D World. They weren't going to advertise a five-year-old game for a dead console. They instead attempted to boost the sales of the already-best-selling Switch game, Mario Odyssey. Which means they had to alter the game's storyline.

I'm not a fan of what they did, but I know why they did it. I like to think that the game took place in a parallel dimension to its predecessor, similar to Lost Levels and Galaxy 2. The only difference is that it's the same game except for a new ending and some new bonus levels.

the wii u barely has a legacy tbh.

the only good Mario games are 3D World and Mario Kart 8.

the only good exclusive was Smash 4 as Bayonetta was already ported too and Splatoon is reciving tons of content on Switch.

I wouldn't mind them to port 3D World and add some more stuff, the game was too good to be doomed on a dead system.

Swiftie_Luma said:
the only good Mario games are 3D World and Mario Kart 8.
What about "the pinnacle of 2D Mario" and "the first official level editor"? Those were also some of the best games on the system.

The Wii U wasn't a true failure. The only true failure Nintendo has made, excluding add-ons like the N64DD, was the Virtual Boy. From a sales standpoint, Nintendo did still profit from the Wii U; the sales just didn't match their expectations. The GameCube, despite selling poorly, still kept some great games to itself, like Melee, Sunshine, and Double Dash. I expect that they'll do the same for Wii U: keep its absolute hits exclusive, and port the moderate sucesses.

Sunshine Yoshi said:
. From a sales standpoint, Nintendo did still profit from the Wii U; the sales just didn't match their expectations.

The years where the Wii U was active were the first ever time in Nintendo's 100 year history that the company posted annual losses

The pinnacle of 2D Mario was New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Well according to the rules, you are not allowed to go off topic for more then 3-4 posts, and this is a thread for CTTT.

Back on topic... I am amused to learn that the 3DS version has different secret missions. Usually the ones where you collect coins are the ones that are affected, so for example, Fossil Falls require the player to collect less coins in the 3DS compared to the Switch version. Could anybody confirm if this is considered easier to do?

Thank you for reading.

Back