Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey

Indeed. Fawful was never the selling point of this series for most people. Even this game he was barely featured in it's marketing. Both the remake and the original focused on Bowser and the bros, they are the selling point.

In fairness, since Dream Team, we've had Paper Jam and both remakes. The remakes are generally seen as unnecessary (at least, from what I've seen) and Paper Jam had a lot going against it (Padding, no OCs, people being burned by the Sticker Star elements, etc).
We need a new game, is what I'm saying.

Exactly, something from the ground up, that isn't a cut-and-dry sequel.

Also, with current technology, fully-2D sprites will be better received than stock-looking prerenders. They're more artistic in most cases.

Granted, the SS remake, despite what many people say, has far more soulful animation than the original (which was mostly limited to "bob up and down stupidly" for enemy idles, for example)

Heck, in many cases, actual models garner better reception as well.

They don't even LOOK pre-rendered. If they were, the shading is going to be extra complicated and have these little artifacts associated with rendering it and shrinking them down. And there's the problem of the definition of "pre-rendered".

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
Also, with current technology, fully-2D sprites will be better received than stock-looking prerenders. They're more artistic in most cases.
With current technology.... eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh I would strongly disagree on 2D sprites looking more "artistic" than prerendered sprites. What does "artistic" even begin to mean!?

SOME of them are pre-rendered. The Boos appear to be, for example. And besides, there can easily be use of the "change contrast" tool.

As for "artistic," that's obvious. I mean that they conform to reality less, and can do all sorts of strange cartoonish things, since they aren't based off a 3D form, but are just drawn, and as such can take advantage of illusory things better. Obviously.

Oh, you probably mean more abstract, but with today's technology, you can certainly achieve abstraction too via 3D graphics... But I kinda see what you mean, as sometimes, distorting faces in 2D usually doesn't translate that well to 3D, but, well, 3D still allows for it, just look at Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party 2, Dream Team, and so on. And nobody said you can't do a little editing on pre-rendered sprites after the rendering is done.

The Boo does look pre-rendered, but Boo also seems doable, making it look really on-model, without pre-rendering it.

Yeah, I know, I'm a spriter.

Anyways, while abstraction is certainly possible in 3D, then don't like to do it, especially on handheld systems. It's more difficult to rig a model to do that, obviously, and if the time care I put into sprites and the fact that they have whole teams to do a fraction of the posing and animating, it's not reflecting on the official sprite artists' work ethic.

attachment.php

This took me 3 days, and it looks better than a lot of official sprites even from recent games that certainly have the software capability.

The hands don't appear to remain a consistent size. Yes, a model has a ton of work put into it, far less straightforward as making a sprite, but once you're done, you don't have to worry about maintaining proportions through foreshortening (as I think the sprite doesn't appear to follow) or even about following light logic. And you can do a lot of cool camera effects that simply aren't possible, such as in the Giant Luigi fight where the camera zooms out and pans under Luigi and you see Luigi's awesome size and a tiny Mario on top, and that's not counting the lighting effects you can very easily do with 3D.

Yeah that's part of that "artistic" thing (and that I such at hands, even ones as simple as this). This follows foreshortening just as much as Whomps do in the NSMB games, which was my basis.

Anyways, I still see people look at BiS better than DT in terms of graphics, and BiS had artsy, drawn-looking sprites that were fairly on-model, while DT had sprites that resemble models to the casual observer with little graphical history.

People look at BiS and like it more because black lines, and black lines, IMO, are overrated.

Well, if anything, there's a reason I will remember fondly this game: they finally updated the credits telling us who voiced Iggy and Lemmy!
Yuppeee! I was waiting to know that since a loooooooooooong time!

We finally have names for the SS Company members: Dieter, Beef and Kaley.
Also "SS Company" is localized as "Best Fitness Friends".

I got the game today and let me just say that I'm digging the Best Fitness Friends.
Or should I say, Brute Force Federation?

While others may have collected them first, I'm still the first person to edit the wiki on a daily basis to leave a comment on that TSR page
(Darn this hectic period of "have to go back to college for the new semester tomorrow...")

Overly-narrow superlative, I know, but I'm petty when I want to be.

When the BJJ sprites are collected, I'll add them to the wiki, as I did with MQTSFB.

I find it interesting they felt the need to redraw Fawful's teeth.

MLSSBMFawful2.png
MLBISBJJDarkFawful.png

Actually, a lot of the new shading looks vastly different from that of the reused sprites.
I imagine that in the case of the inside Bowser enemies, this is done due to lighting and/or to make them look more unicellular, but that doesn't cover everything.

And what's with the weird angle Sniffle Thwomp's in?
Sniffle_Thwomp.gif
MLBISBJJSniffleThwomp.png

Well, Fawful's teeth were more prominent in BIS than in SSS, and it did seem like the SSS remake was paying homage to the earlier Fawful design (not just the obvious like his outfit) so it makes sense he'd be styled differently here.

Not sure about the Sniffle Thwomp, that is a bit odd. Though IIRC it's the first time a Thwomp appeared as an an enemy in the 3DS M&L style so idk.

It's not like it's a huge difference, they just changed the colour and perspective.

The sprites are the most worthwhile parts of the game. They will come in handy for sprite comics. I wish people made Waluigi and Wario in that style, though.

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/01/14/alphadream-on-remaking-bowsers-inside-story-and-how-mario-luigi-could-possibly

interesting they specifically point out fawful is popular with "oversea fans"

Back