Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey

While it's great they wanted to remake the game they got the most praise in, I felt like remaking games that were more flawed makes a better project than attempting to capture lightning in a bottle twice with a game that didn't need one.

Glowsquid said:
https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/01/14/alphadream-on-remaking-bowsers-inside-story-and-how-mario-luigi-could-possibly

interesting they specifically point out fawful is popular with "oversea fans"

Not surprising, the majority of the fanbase for this series is overseas. In fact Fawful's entire shtick of engrish nonsense is entirely english region based.

Anyway I'm hope they are done with remakes after this one. I want a reason to actually give a shit about this series again.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
Yes, but even if it's improved, very few people will buy a remake of Bubsy 3D or Sonic '06. Even if it's so improved it's actually enjoyable.

Yes but partners in time isn't terrible. At worst it had lukewarm reception.

these people should just do some freaking small spriting projects at this point

With how the series sales keep declining I see a possible future in mobile games.

And not the good kind.

Mcmadness said:
With how the series sales keep declining I see a possible future in mobile games.

And not the good kind.
Well, to be fair, Paper Jam was the worst-received game in the series, and the remakes were released well after the Switch's release, so I wouldn't call that a reliable sample. The other four games in the series all sold pretty well, anyway. Stick one on Switch and it'll sell like hotcakes.

Even then, DT only sold half as well as BiS did. I feel like it's just diminishing returns at this point.

You can only keep making the same style of game for so long before people get sick of it.

I just stopped playing Paper Jam after that friggin' Paper Petey boss fight.
It gets worse than that. You may have heard this before, but that blasted bridge in Doop Doop Dunes breaks before you can ever use it. I know it only breaks so that it takes more than five hours to beat the game, but it got really inconvenient when I got to Bowser's Castle. I had to go all the way back through the incredibly tedious dungeon, then walk all the way over to Twinsy Tropics' pipe to actually get anywhere else. How hard would it be to just get the bridge rebuilt once you get to the castle? That moment where the bridge breaks was the worst part of the entire game.

I don't remember all that much of Paper Jam because it was forgettable so I may well be wrong, but doesn't Paper Petey come after that part?

King Dedede said:
Mcmadness said:

And not the good kind.
Well, to be fair, Paper Jam was the worst-received game in the series, and the remakes were released well after the Switch's release, so I wouldn't call that a reliable sample. The other four games in the series all sold pretty well, anyway. Stick one on Switch and it'll sell like hotcakes.

The 3DS may be pretty dead at this point but even then Bowser Jr's Journey sales are abysmal compared to other 2018 Mario-universe games on the platform. For comparison sake,
-Mario Party The Top 100 sold around 240k from the last week of 2017 to the end of 2018
-WarioWare Gold sold 138k
-the Luigi's Mansion port sold 82k
-Captain Toad 3DS sold 60k

This game had already dropped outside the top 20 in its second week and is currently slated to have sold 16-17k copies. Of course it's not a fair comparison as there are multiple factors at play such as release timing, marketing and so on, but still. I don,t think Nintendo is going to neck the series because a low-budget 3DS remake flopped, but that Bowser Jr.'s Journey is on track to be the worst-selling Mario since the days of the Virtual Boy (by a decent margin) indicates to me what AlphaDream is doing with the series isn't working.

Lord Fawful DX said:
Glowsquid said:
the worst-selling Mario since the days of the Virtual Boy
Is.

Is. this for real?

I should specify "in Japan", but yeah! The current record holder is Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars at 38K at retail for both versions combined (and that's predominantly an eshop game...) But hey, these games do better in the west anyway

Let's not forget that the original Inside Story is still playable on the 3DS.
Odds are people will probably skip the remake simply because the original is still available.
Admittedly, I don't blame them. It's why I'm thankful that Bowser Jr.'s Journey can be played in its entirety independent of the main campaign, unlike Minion Quest.

Lord Fawful DX said:
Is.

Is. this for real?

That... makes me very sad :/

It's a redundant remake nobody asked for. You should not be surprised by this.

Keep in mind a remake for Virtual Boy Wario Land (a good game on a crappy system) was pitched, but Nintendo decided that anything Virtual Boy related should never be dredged up (except when it is, apparently...) and instead Metroid 2 was remade.

Squeamish person that I am, that annoys me.

Yes, but even if it's improved, very few people will buy a remake of Bubsy 3D or Sonic '06. Even if it's so improved it's actually enjoyable.

This is a terrible analogy. PiT is nowhere near the levels of bad of the games you described.

Keep in mind a remake for Virtual Boy Wario Land (a good game on a crappy system) was pitched, but Nintendo decided that anything Virtual Boy related should never be dredged up (except when it is, apparently...) and instead Metroid 2 was remade.

Squeamish person that I am, that annoys me.

I mean, Metroid 2 was a game that was in desperate need of a remake, unlike Bowser's Inside Story which still holds up today.

It would be interesting to hear if this remake did well in Western territories, because I wondered if this game being more receptive in the West as opposed to Japan would influence the sales in its favour. Since the US territories don't provide sales numbers to get a more objective approach unless it's selling really well, I can only assume that it's not a wild success if it doesn't chart on video game sales charts.

I know that the Mario RPGs tend to have very vocal and passionate fans, but I am not sure if the numbers are big enough. I guess it does since the Mario Wiki polls have a strong bias towards the Mario RPGs (such as how Paper Mario's Gamecube game is voted as the best retro Mario game).

Thank you for reading.

Hey, one question.

So I researched this game long before the remake was announced, and I heard about this item called the Challenge Medal. It was supposedly a Hard Mode for this game that made all the enemies stronger, in a similar fashion to Dream Team's Hard Mode. Seeing as Retry Clocks are gone this time around, I want to know: is the Challenge Medal back? If not, then it seems that Nintendo has no interest in Hard Modes anymore...

I'm planning on getting this game as soon as I get myself another 3DS. My old one broke just weeks before release and I was pretty upset about it, partly because I had already been waiting a year for this game, and now I have to wait longer.

Far as I know, no. It isn't.

@Baby Luigi It wasn't intended as an analogy, it was intended as the logical conclusion of what you said. Star Gate notwithstanding, I liked PiT just fine.

That's still a distortion of my original point, by using extreme examples of bad games when you all know how so fundamentally broken they are is that they take far more than a remake to fix their issues.

winstein said:
It would be interesting to hear if this remake did well in Western territories, because I wondered if this game being more receptive in the West as opposed to Japan would influence the sales in its favour. Since the US territories don't provide sales numbers to get a more objective approach unless it's selling really well, I can only assume that it's not a wild success if it doesn't chart on video game sales charts.

I know that the Mario RPGs tend to have very vocal and passionate fans, but I am not sure if the numbers are big enough. I guess it does since the Mario Wiki polls have a strong bias towards the Mario RPGs (such as how Paper Mario's Gamecube game is voted as the best retro Mario game).

Thank you for reading.

I don't know if this game doing better in Western territories would have much of a significant impact. It's not like BIS did badly in Japan either.

Back