Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey

ThatGuy62 said:
"Next game?"
J-Jonah-Jameson-laughing.jpg

H-hey now! Sure the remake didn't sell well, but that's because it's a remake. Surely, they've got plans to do another game.
Surely. :'(

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43357

Version 1.2 has been released! This update fixed that music player issue when playing the original DS tracks, which the 1.1 update seemingly created. The official patch notes are in the above link.

Roy Mustang said:
Neat! The soundtrack for Bowser's Inside Story is the best in the series, so that's great
Great as it is, I would say that Dream Team and even Partners in Time have better soundtracks. But everyone has their own opinion.

(To be fair, Dream Team is my favorite game of all time and I'm biased towards everything Dream Team so you don't have to take anything I say about that game seriously)

YoshiFlutterJump said:
Roy Mustang said:
Neat! The soundtrack for Bowser's Inside Story is the best in the series, so that's great
Great as it is, I would say that Dream Team and even Partners in Time have better soundtracks. But everyone has their own opinion.

(To be fair, Dream Team is my favorite game of all time and I'm biased towards everything Dream Team so you don't have to take anything I say about that game seriously)

While not my favorite in the series, I definitely think that Dream Team is underrated. A lot of people rag on it and I can't tell why, I thought it was pretty good when I played it.

Roy Mustang said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
Roy Mustang said:

While not my favorite in the series, I definitely think that Dream Team is underrated. A lot of people rag on it and I can't tell why, I thought it was pretty good when I played it.
Yeah, the main criticism with it really lies with the incredibly slow pacing (which is a problem, but not enough to let the entire game down), and there are some that dislike the new art style (but I think it looks beautiful). There are also some punks who think that they're too good for tutorials (as in, people who criticize the entire game for the tutorials alone, which aren't even that bad)...but we're better off not mentioning them.

But really...the pacing argument is the only major criticism that actually holds any water, and even that's not an issue if you have fun throughout...which I did. So 10/10 from me.

People had problems with the tutorials because they were intrusive and annoying. I think the game didn't really fine tune the balance between having players learn for themselves and hand holding. I don't think the people who disliked the egregious handholding are stuck-up elitist "punks", they just believe the way of having players learn is patronizing, pads out the game, and may not even be necessary.

LeftyGreenMario said:
People had problems with the tutorials because they were intrusive and annoying. I think the game didn't really fine tune the balance between having players learn for themselves and hand holding. I don't think the people who disliked the egregious handholding are stuck-up elitist "punks", they just believe the way of having players learn is patronizing, pads out the game, and may not even be necessary.
Sorry, should have elaborated. Yes, the tutorials can get a bit out of hand at the beginning of the game, but people really exaggerate them out of proportion. I'm referring specifically to those GFAQs punks who throw the name "Dream Tutorial" around and criticize it for nothing but tutorials (and even when they're focused on other criticisms, they still throw that name around, which does nothing but weaken their arguments). The tutorials are such a minor criticism, and people who treat them as the worst thing in the world clearly can't think of any other criticisms, and are piling hate on the game for seemingly no other reason. It just doesn't add up.

The game has tutorials in one of the last bloody levels of the game. That's ridiculous.

It also decided to explain shit that previous games never explained. Like what exp are. Or what to do when you level up. Or Having 3 individual battles devoted just to Mario learning how to fight.

The tutorials are definitely NOT over exaggerated. The damn game never stops giving them to you. Every new level has a new mechanic that needs to be taught or every giant battle has a new move to learn and 90% of them CANNOT be skipped.

Th game would really have benefited from using the same type of concise visual cues (ie, just showing a button or touch screen input on the screen with a chyme sounding) that the previous games used more often than it did...it flt like thy were trying to explain the mechanics to the characters themselves in some weak attempt to justify why they'd do specific things in-story....

Mcmadness said:
The game has tutorials in one of the last bloody levels of the game. That's ridiculous.

It also decided to explain *bleep* that previous games never explained. Like what exp are. Or what to do when you level up. Or Having 3 individual battles devoted just to Mario learning how to fight.

The tutorials are definitely NOT over exaggerated. The dang game never stops giving them to you. Every new level has a new mechanic that needs to be taught or every giant battle has a new move to learn and 90% of them CANNOT be skipped.
Every game should and must have tutorials for every new move. That's a clear and obvious fact and not a source of criticism at all. If there are new moves learned near endgame, there should and must be a tutorial for it. It's that simple.

The extra tutorials near the beginning, while mostly unnecessary, still provide an easier learning curve for RPG noobs. Like I was when I first played the game. Not exactly necessary, but definitely welcome.

And the fact that a lot of the tutorials are unskippable...I will admit that Paper Jam did better on this one, but Dream Team's tutorials are perfectly tolerable and don't even require that much patience to get through. Again, it's no big deal.

So just what are you trying to prove?

But tutorials aren't the only means of teaching players how they learn from a game. How did you learn in Mario Kart how to drive and use items? How did you know Super Mushrooms help, Goombas hurt, blocks give you things? None of these games had tutorials especially to that degree of Dream Team, but you somehow learned and got better. You eventually figure out how important holding the dash button is in Mario games. You eventually learned how to make use of powerups. Didn't need a tutorial on any of that, as the platformers were designed to be intuitive, like a good program, or perhaps like in Super Mario Maker menu design. Sure, you say they have instruction booklets but does Dream Team not have an instruction manual too? And maybe tutorials are for completely new players to video games, but do they seriously need to be unskippable to the chagrin of more experienced players, and do we need tutorials so late in the game too?

It is not a "fact" to suggest a game *should* have something. It's an expression of a subjective opinion that is open to criticism, which Mcmadness and I provide, along with backing up opinions with reasoning and examples.

Say what you will about your dislike for tutorials, but in my subjective opinion, tutorials are useful and necessary and are very much preferable to attempting to learn stuff without them. The more tutorials, the better. I'm not the kind of person who just wants to learn the basics by myself. I want all the moves explained to me clearly and precisely, so that I can use them to their fullest potential. I don't want some useful part of the move hidden from me until too late. I want to know everything, and I appreciate that AlphaDream actually puts in tutorials when those other games you mentioned don't.

Should tutorials be skippable? Yes, and Dream Team has a problem with that. But they're easily tolerable and require very little patience to sit through. But tutorials should always be an option, and I, for one, appreciate Dream Team's numerous tutorials.

A good game shouldn't have to treat you like an idiot to learn it's mechanics.

DT's unskippable tutorials are inexcusable especially on the 4th bloody game in the series and the fact that they've gone out of their way to correct that in the following games shows that even they themselves admit it was a bad idea.

First time I played the game, I ended up stopping at the entrance to Somnom Woods simply because I was burned out about the padding.

Incidentally I stopped at the entrance of the woods area in Paper Jam as well, except more due to burnout from the annoying Paper Petey battle, and unlike DT I haven't yet started over and played to the end.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
First time I played the game, I ended up stopping at the entrance to Somnom Woods simply because I was burned out about the padding.

Incidentally I stopped at the entrance of the woods area in Paper Jam as well, except more due to burnout from the annoying Paper Petey battle, and unlike DT I haven't yet started over and played to the end.
Yeah, Somnom Woods was probably my least favorite part of the game. Especially Dreamy Somnom Woods. It dragged out for far too long.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
Regarding instruction manuals, it was made during that stupid period where they replaced those with what amounts to fold-out pamphlets with no useful information. Might be a digital manual, I never really checked.
i know this is a bit off topic but game manuals going digital is the greatest loss of our time

I rarely use digital manuals myself and I find it way more of a hassle to look up information especially without fully interrupting the game (like have my sister look it up), or you need to turn something on (like it's more of a hassle to find information when researching enemy names since you have to boot up something else). Or when you first buy the game and don't have immediate access to the console and like to review parts of the game before you boot it. Digital manuals also tend to be super devoid of images and flavor the booklets have too, but that's just inexcusable.

well on the plus side it saves paper

To me, excessive tutorials are to the game like what exposition dumps are to stories. They halt the game entirely only to dryly explain what goes on in the medium. If used in moderation, there's no problem with them but too much, it pads out the medium and condescends the intelligence of your audience.

Mcmadness said:
well on the plus side it saves paper
And on the other plus sides, Paper Mario World didn't had as much of a shortage as we've seen prior to Sticker Star.

405px-Mario_Thinking_PM2.png

#paperlivesmatter

RID THE GAMING INDUSTRY OF TUTORIALS ONCE AND FOR ALL!
WE SHOULD FIGURE THIS STUFF OUT BY OURSELVES!
NINETIES GAMES AND SMASH BROS. FOREVER!
THE ONLY MARIO & LUIGI GAME I OWN IS PAPER JAM!

Creature from the Depths of Hell Itself said:
RID THE GAMING INDUSTRY OF TUTORIALS ONCE AND FOR ALL!
WE SHOULD FIGURE THIS STUFF OUT BY OURSELVES!
NINETIES GAMES AND SMASH BROS. FOREVER!
THE ONLY MARIO & LUIGI GAME I OWN IS PAPER JAM!

Well
Someone knows about timed hits.

Back