Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey

I initially thought it was ripped from Paper Jam too but apparently they touched it up to fit with this game's art style vs the more crayon-like Paper Jam art style. Still not heavily changed but I think the 3DS M&L games in general upped the standard for expressiveness in artwork.

I'd like artwork that resembles the stuff in this art (File:MLSS+BM Box Art.jpg), with more dynamic shading and angle. Perhaps an artwork version of one of the very energetic poses he strikes during the Fawful Theater segment. This reused one of him staring into space is just unfitting for the character by the 3DS M&L standards. I also kind of suspect that this remake isn't gonna give us a hi-res version of the Dark Fawful artwork currently only seen as a barely discernible icon in a physical guide for the original DS game.

Found a Japanese page covering the game as well. Has some screenshots and info (if you can read Japanese or have a halfway decent translator). They also changed the title screen, which I have mixed feelings about (On one hand, I liked the duality of Peach and Bowser's Castles. On the other, it seems to set a duality between the Mario Bros and Bowz & Son). And also, there's a slightly different version of the key art which also has Bowser Jr. unlike most which just have the bros and Bowser.
https://www.4gamer.net/games/412/G041230/20181214038/
046.jpg

Fawful Claus said:
I initially thought it was ripped from Paper Jam too but apparently they touched it up to fit with this game's art style vs the more crayon-like Paper Jam art style. Still not heavily changed but I think the 3DS M&L games in general upped the standard for expressiveness in artwork.

I'd like artwork that resembles the stuff in this art (File:MLSS+BM Box Art.jpg), with more dynamic shading and angle. Perhaps an artwork version of one of the very energetic poses he strikes during the Fawful Theater segment. This reused one of him staring into space is just unfitting for the character by the 3DS M&L standards. I also kind of suspect that this remake isn't gonna give us a hi-res version of the Dark Fawful artwork currently only seen as a barely discernible icon in a physical guide for the original DS game.
Huh. Weird of them to touch it up in that case.
As for the other stuff, we might (being hopeful here) get the Dark Fawful render (either a new one or the old one) because Nintendo can be weird with spoiler renders. The key art is a longshot since BIS didn't really have any (or at least, anything like SSS) and the remake doesn't seem to be willing to have any either. At the end of the day, we'll at least have sprites which'll be (hopefully) top notch.
Though I wonder: Will the Dark Fawful Bug be 3D this time? That seems to be the trend for recent 3DS bosses and it'd be weird (though still possible I suppose) to give Dark Bowser a 3D model that'll last all of 10 seconds after you know what to do.

I'm starting to get redundant remake vibes again.

I mean I already did but I was HOPING they'd add more new stuff this time but so far it's just the same as before and in fact worse in some areas due to the slower pacing of some battles.

I apologize if I'm sounding a bit pushy/picky but where are like more screenshots of the story in Bowser Jr's Jounrey? all I've seen so far is just the alliance fights.

Fawful Claus said:
Hm, Bowser Jr. looks more like Baby Bowser in that artwork.
It's the stylized nose at this angle, resembles Baby Bowser's stylized SMW2 sprite and depictions based directly off it. Given Jr. was design-wise (directly or indirectly through Koopa Kid) based off Baby Bowser himself, though, that's a given.

Mcmadness said:
I'm starting to get redundant remake vibes again.

I mean I already did but I was HOPING they'd add more new stuff this time but so far it's just the same as before and in fact worse in some areas due to the slower pacing of some battles.
I didn't have high hopes to begin with, considering they didn't even add a Battle Ring to the SSS remake.
The only real thing I can see them adding is a Bowser Battle Ring or maybe a further superboss after Bowser X, and neither of those are likely. Like with SSSDX, it seems like most of the new stuff will be in the secondary mode.

HG-The-Hamster said:
I apologize if I'm sounding a bit pushy/picky but where are like more screenshots of the story in Bowser Jr's Jounrey? all I've seen so far is just the alliance fights.
They've been weirdly coy about the story in Bowser Jr.'s Journey. Notice that the US site doesn't have any of the cutscene images from the Japanese site nor does it really explain the story of the mode like the Japanese site did.

The Cat Mario Show touched upon the remake a bit (6:55):
You can see some previously unseen areas for the Bros like Bowser's memory banks, as well as a quick look at the new title screen. None of the footage of Bowser nor Bowser Jr. is new though (unless you missed Madame Broque in BJR in the overview trailer).
Also, kinda moot considering the game will be out in Japan in a day or two.

Japanese footage is starting to go up. Also somebody ripped the entire soundtrack already.
Not digging the main instrument (horn?) they picked for the usual boss fight theme, but The Grand Finale sounds nice (though a shame they didn't go full Adventure's End/Final Battle with it)
Oh hey look, the sub-mode actually has a unique final boss theme now (and sounds Kingdom Hearts as all heck).

Music feels very....not different. Like it's technically different yes but no better or worse.

Yeah, it's mostly remasters it seems.
Which is actually pretty disappointing since the new tracks sound so much better.
They even gave Fawful and the Dark Star new tracks and it's kinda jarring just how much more effort went into those + the Bowser Jr.'s Journey ones

CACKLETTA LIVES?!

Now I hope the official name of that track still references her so it can count as a cameo. Also of course I listened, no way I can resist music spoilers for M&L lol

I'm playing the JP version right now btw. A list of things I noticed:

-Bowser Jr.'s Journey is selectable right from the start on file select. I haven't started it yet though since a new story is best played in your own language imo

-Mario and Luigi have voice clips from the original Superstar Saga when they start an enemy battle (Let's-a Go! Okeydokey! and it's definitely the Superstar Saga voice clip for Luigi at least)

-While skipping text, I never was sent into the pause menu for Starlow's tutorial but I don't recall getting a prompt either so it looks like they got the memo that those things don't need to be forced into the story.

-The scene where Fawful's forces take over Bowser's Castle is quite cinematic and uses 3D models. Though I don't have a capture card on this 3DS, I did record potato-cam footage of it lol (as well as the Midbus battle shortly after)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsx31oWKIoE

-The title theme is brand new it seems, though the original title theme from the DS game is in the sound test, looks like the original OST will be there again, though that isn't much of a surprise.

-Mario and Luigi have funny interactions if you screw up a Bros. Attack such as Green Shell (if Mario misses the last hit, he rides the shell offscreen while Luigi goes "Bye-bye!"

-On rank-up for Mario and Luigi, there were rank-up bonuses to choose from. One dealt with HP and POW while the other dealt with BP (not SP? It's like that for Bowser too) and Stache. Looks like Bowser has five ranks instead of the four he had in the original too.

-Bowser doesn't use Syrup anymore, instead he has his own BP item which is cheese.

So, Starlow/Chippy has a bubble outside of Bowser now. I like that. Although, that does make me wonder what happens when you learn the Body Slam.

I think they did a better job capturing the atmosphere of the final boss music in this remake than the Superstar Saga one, personally. Not to say the new rearrangement of the Superstar Saga music is bad, but I think the BIS remake one is better overall.

At this point I just need to know if they bothered to include a gauntlet for Bowser.

I've heard there was one for Giant Battles, no word on normal boss battles. I haven't gotten far enough to see for myself yet.

I can't believe the Magic Paintbrush is something resembling relevant now.

Well lots of video footage of bosses and stuff on youtube now.

They seemed to have gotten rid of Bowser's giant attack in the gauntlet and instead he now heals himself with a drumstick when he reaches his halfway angry phase.

Either that or it just didn't happen in the video I watched.

Also the music is still playing when Bowser is giving Dark Bowser the KO punches. Why would you do that? Completely takes the atmosphere out of the moment.

(I actually don't know if it's used, I haven't played through Bowser Jr.'s Journey but it sure doesn't sound like a used track and the name is interesting)

Fawful Claus said:

(I actually don't know if it's used, I haven't played through Bowser Jr.'s Journey but it sure doesn't sound like a used track and the name is interesting)
I've been watching footage (I've seen pretty much 90% at this point), but I haven't heard that track. The icon give me pause as to whether or not it's actually in the game. I'll need to check the soundtrack rip to see if its there.

UPDATE: Okay I checked, and yeah it's in the soundtrack rip. If it isn't used for the part where Fawful gives Bowser the Mushroom, then it's probably unused.

It's definitely there, I'm the one who uploaded that video. It's sorted with the sound effects though, not the music. The filename is "se_gerako_shop_theme"

some of these sprites look less like they made new ones from scratch and more like they took an old sprite and just "painted over it" so to speak.

I also have to question some of the altered usage of sound and music in some areas, making the presentation suffer considerably.

Feeling pretty underwhelmed thus far.

The ending for Bowser Jr. mode is up and it's... pretty weird.
Especially with a certain unexpected cameo.

Care to show me?

Back