Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey

Screenshots here: https://nintendoeverything.com/mario-luigi-bowsers-inside-story-bowser-jr-s-journey-screenshots/

3DS_MarioLuigi-BowsersInsideStoryBowserJrsJourney_SCRN08_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

Looks like Junior wears his mask up and is outside of the clown car (both for the first significant time in ages). I suspect the JCC will be a late-game thing.
I do wonder if they're gonna do any equivalent to the Giant Battles though. Probably not.

ThatGuy62 said:
Yoshi the SSM said:
The Giant Battle system seems to be changeable like Dream Team's.

I wonder that if we get a new game, that it will have playable Minions as a separate mode now. But, this mode must be improved. I just hope that the 2019 date is the result of this. Otherwise why not this year. Even making Bowser's battle ring won't be too much of a trouble.
Did we see much of it outside of the cutscene intro?

The way the 3DS was tilted. And there was an excellent.

ThatGuy62 said:
Screenshots here: https://nintendoeverything.com/mario-luigi-bowsers-inside-story-bowser-jr-s-journey-screenshots/

Looks like Junior wears his mask up and is outside of the clown car (both for the first significant time in ages). I suspect the JCC will be a late-game thing.
I do wonder if they're gonna do any equivalent to the Giant Battles though. Probably not.
Meanwhile, now it's Iggy on the not-Clown Car.

If Minion Quest is an indication, this doesn't bode well for the Koopalings...

Mister Wu said:
ThatGuy62 said:

Meanwhile, now it's Iggy on the not-Clown Car.

If Minion Quest is an indication, this doesn't bode well for the Koopalings...
At least the Koopalings were plot-relevant in Minion Quest. What was Junior doing when Bowser's Castle flew off?
But yeah, I really hope their writing is better this time around.

ThatGuy62 said:
At least the Koopalings were plot-relevant in Minion Quest.
Well, when plot-relevant means that
  • they become ridiculously disrespectful idiots that of course ignore the sane advice of the protagonist and are mind controlled as soon as possible, becoming yet again bosses even though the mode is about the Koopa Troop
  • the dialogue style of a few of them - few, Iggy, Larry, Lemmy and Morton, that's more than 50%! - is yet again changed (of course, Larry was a lost cause before Minion Quest, but still...)
  • they still manage not to talk to Bowser at all, and don't even get original poses in artwork nor in the final image
staying away from that might not be that bad after all...

Mister Wu said:
Baby Luigi said:
I'm very sour over how they skipped Partners in Time.

Like, very sour.
At least you won't have to fear to have one of the PIT characters being replaced by Dr. Toadley

Dr. Toad from the beginning of the game when he inspects Toadsworth would probably be replaced with Dr. Toadley.

Though it's not as stupid as replacing Pyscho Kamek with Dr. Toadley.

Baby Luigi said:
Mister Wu said:
Baby Luigi said:

Like, very sour.
At least you won't have to fear to have one of the PIT characters being replaced by Dr. Toadley

Dr. Toad from the beginning of the game when he inspects Toadsworth would probably be replaced with Dr. Toadley.

THEY REPLACED ANTON WITH THAT WITCHDOCTOR?!

Mister Wu said:
ThatGuy62 said:
At least the Koopalings were plot-relevant in Minion Quest.
Well, when plot-relevant means that
  • they become ridiculously disrespectful idiots that of course ignore the sane advice of the protagonist and are mind controlled as soon as possible, becoming yet again bosses even though the mode is about the Koopa Troop
  • the dialogue style of a few of them - few, Iggy, Larry, Lemmy and Morton, that's more than 50%! - is yet again changed (of course, Larry was a lost cause before Minion Quest, but still...)
  • they still manage not to talk to Bowser at all, and don't even get original poses in artwork nor in the final image
staying away from that might not be that bad after all...
Fair points. In fairness, the disrespectful idiots might be moreso due to Captain Goomba being, er, a goomba.
What happens to them here is a bit 50:50 considering not all of Bowser's minions were possessed, though unless Fawful uses the Dark Star early to make the Dark Koopalings, it'll probably be brainwashing again.
Big question is will they change their personalities yet again for this one or revert it to how it was in Paper Jam? and will there be any localization changes with their relationship with Junior in this mode, like in Paper Jam with the scene with Roy?

Baby Luigi said:
Mister Wu said:
Baby Luigi said:

Like, very sour.

Replacing a hypnosis doctor with another hypnosis doctor is stupid?

ThatGuy62 said:
Replacing a hypnosis doctor with another hypnosis doctor is stupid?

I'm sure if you reread your statement you can see how ultimately pointless it is.

Not to mention, it's a cost-saving measure if they recolored the Magikoopa's robes AND it's faithful to the original game.

At least this game's interesting compared to Superstar Saga, given I never played Bowser's Inside Story before. Still, the fact that it's once again a remake makes me think the developers are having some down time, which reminds me of a time when the Game Boy Advance got 4 Super Mario Advance games, based on Mario's past adventures.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
At least this game's interesting compared to Superstar Saga, given I never played Bowser's Inside Story before. Still, the fact that it's once again a remake makes me think the developers are having some down time, which reminds me of a time when the Game Boy Advance got 4 Super Mario Advance games, based on Mario's past adventures.

Thank you for reading.
The problem is that Bowser's Inside Story is already playable on the 3DS since the original game is backwards compatible. It also looks and plays pretty great for a late-life DS game and it probably won't be that different considering SSDX didn't add a Battle Ring and pretty much only made minor and QoL changes.
I'm getting the game, but only for Junior mode and I probably would have bought that on the E-Shop had the option existed.

ThatGuy62 said:
Big question is will they change their personalities yet again for this one or revert it to how it was in Paper Jam? and will there be any localization changes with their relationship with Junior in this mode, like in Paper Jam with the scene with Roy?
I'm not sure about the personality - Nintendo has not a clear direction for the Koopalings, as the manual of Monopoly Gamer showed. After all, RPGs are still third party games, so I fear that until Nintendo makes them talk in their own games, we won't see consistent writing.

Regarding the localization changes, I'm sure they won't be there: both the Italian and German translation of Minion Quest clarified that Bowser Jr. is Bowser's only son - the German version even went the extra mile and said he is his only offspring, even though the Japanese text didn't state that at all!
Plus, the English story of Super Mario Bros. 3 in the Official Home of Mario doesn't state that they are Bowser's chidlren or siblings - and even pretend that this is the original story of the manual! -, the story of Super Mario Bros. 3 in the Spanish Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. again omits that they are Bowser's chidlren and siblings while the one of the German Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. even states that Bowser turned seven Koopalings into his subjects!

What happened in Paper Jam wasn't probably liked by Nintendo...

Mister Wu said:
ThatGuy62 said:
I'm not sure about the personality - Nintendo has not a clear direction for the Koopalings, as the manual of Monopoly Gamer showed. After all, RPGs are still third party games, so I fear that until Nintendo makes them talk in their own games, we won't see consistent writing.

Regarding the localization changes, I'm sure they won't be there: both the Italian and German translation of Minion Quest clarified that Bowser Jr. is Bowser's only son - the German version even went the extra mile and said he is his only offspring, even though the Japanese text didn't state that at all!
Plus, the English story of Super Mario Bros. 3 in the Official Home of Mario doesn't state that they are Bowser's chidlren or siblings - and even pretend that this is the original story of the manual! -, the story of Super Mario Bros. 3 in the Spanish Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. again omits that they are Bowser's chidlren and siblings while the one of the German Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. even states that Bowser turned seven Koopalings into his subjects!

What happened in Paper Jam wasn't probably liked by Nintendo...

Still, we know enough that Nintendo (or at least, Nintendo of America) should be able to keep them consistent. Part of the reason I like Paper Jam's take on them is because they felt true to their portrayal in the SMB3 manual or their modern appearances: Lemmy is childish, Larry has a short temper, (though we don't get to see it much) Iggy was crazy and Morton's stupidity came more out of blind loyalty rather than making him a simpleton (and him being the rational thinker to two crazy guys). These shifting portrayals

I also wasn't referring the Koopalings' relationship with Bowser (my feelings vary depending on the moon phases, the week's loto numbers and what opinions on The Koopalings/Bowser Jr. I've seen by whatever point). I was referring to the fact that, supposedly, Bowser Jr. doesn't threaten to tattle on Roy in the Japanese version of Paper Jam.

Indeed, from what I've seen in the Japanese version the relationship is very different: Roy calls him young master and doesn't use disrespectful words toward him, while Bowser Jr. doesn't threaten Roy at all, he just asks for the book saying something on the line of "no point in destroying it!". It's a much more positive relationship.

I've been meaning to look for a well-priced copy of Bowser's Inside Story as my second Mario RPG (Yes, I haven't been very much an RPG person, except some Roblox RPGs are really, really good.)

I might get this game, since I'm one of the people who's been joking about inflation since I was little. Beware I might want to play the original Nintendo DS version as well to play the original, sometime.

Julia-BM said:
I might get this game, since I'm one of the people who's been joking about inflation since I was little.
FR5q5di.jpg

I Got No iPhone said:
Well a brand new game would be a waste on the 3DS. They're getting remakes out on it because the system is in its final days. I bet they'll pull a brand new game on the Switch.
No, the 3DS is the handheld counterpart for Switch and Wii U. It’s nowhere close to its end.

How can the 3DS be a Handheld counterpart to the Switch, if the Switch itself is a Handheld?

Maybe they are saving PiT for the Switch remake?

Or they could add a new subtitle due to time traveling being a thing and unless either Bowser Jr. or some other Goomba adds tactical RPG.

This could be tricky?

Don't get my sister's hope up for HD Partners in Crime.

By the way, apparently there are badge icons in the Scutlet boss battle. But, it is not suppose to be there. As badges don't appear until Bowser's Castle. Another thing, I don't think the badges fill. Meaning, that this is highly unlikely an X version in the Battle ring.
M%26LRPG3DX_Scutlet_Battle.jpg

Back