Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I honestly think hiding who the fighter was for so long, and then starting off the direct by talking with how hard they tried to keep the character a secret was a mistake. Also making Byleth the last character of a pass that's comprised of third party doesn't help.

The Altair and Cuphead Mii Costumes instantly redeemed this presentation however.

I think we can officially declare fire emblem as a cash cow now.

I'm saving my money lol, but the internet reaction towards this would be much more entertaining than actually purchasing this character.

And so I skipped the livestream, kept my expectations nearly death valley level and I was rewarded.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm very happy to have Byleth in Smash (the only one of the DLC characters I actually cared for), but one of the things that I appreciate even more is the addition of some of Three Houses's soundtracks (it's so good).

Honestly, one thing that really disappoints me is how toxic many Smash fans can be about this (as far as throwing shades at M!Byleth's voice actor), like come on.

It's not the voice I'm concerned about. It's the fact that we have another goddamn swordfighter.

Link, Toon Link, Young Link, Roy, Marth, Lucina, Hero, Chrom, Meta Knight, Ike, Shulk, Cloud, Corrin, and now, Byleth.

C'mon, we don't need any more swordfighters.

I'm not talking about the problem is the voice, it's about some fans who are throwing their hates at someone who has no decision on the choice of characters in Smash, THAT is the problem.

Also, I don't mind how many swordfighters they are in Smash, and actually Byleth isn't totally just a swordfighter.

not bothered by byleth tbh. i don't really like fire emblem that much but given how many different main characters there are i dont really mind it having a bunch of fighters, and other than robin i like playing as them all anyway, and byleth looks like fun too. not really hyped but ok with it. probably helped that i legitimately expected a three houses character sooner or later

I thought they said "no characters from previously represented series," not "also maybe one character from that franchise so garbage we didn't even bother localizing it until after we started representing it in the first place and then went overboard and filled the once-colorful roster with nondistinct 'swordfighter' characters whose only playing differences are basically lip service and stages that are boring too."

I wouldn't mind if it were Kid Icarus. I wouldn't mind if it were Metroid. But it's getting to the point that I want Fire Emblem erased from existence >.>

That was never said that, they only said that 'there wouldn't be any characters that were previously playable, in the pass'. In other words the statement means nothing and I don't know why people keep on bringing it up.

Fire Emblem isn't "C-list" or "random", though. It's hugely successful and popular among both Western and Japanese audience, with its mobile game being a top grosser *among* Nintendo mobile apps, and Fire Emblem Three Houses is not only a fantastic game but also a hard-hitting seller topping sales charts in Japan and UK in the first week (and it's also the best selling game in the franchise with 2.29 million copies worldwide being absolutely no slouch). It may have rocky and unknown origins but a bit after Awakening, it's arguably way more popular than Kirby at this point.

edit: I'm not trying to justify Byleth's inclusion, only that Fire Emblem's a lot more popular than you think

Last edited:
I turn this into something positive for myself: you saved yourself some money which can be spent elsewhere for something else you really want instead. I wouldn't wish the erasure of a franchise you don't like, though, as it's a bit of a drastic reaction.

I understand that this is crushing disappointment, though, and I can feel it myself. Though I can't complain too much: my game's modded and I've got my favorite dude in as a result, plus it's a giant pain updating offsets every time a new major update gets released.

That makes me sad, honestly. Kirby's games are always so great, and yet he gets so little credit for it.
Kirby's that franchise where the games are really good but I argue the playerbase is relatively niche. The franchise doesn't attract much players, but when it does, it usually strongly retains them. Still, its games always generate some buzz but it's always kind of confined, it's hardly ever the most-talked about game. From my experience, it's just a gentle consistent hum compared to the buzz that's Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem.

Well, I proved many GameFAQs users and leakers wrong. I always held in my heart that Byleth would be the last one revealed in the Fighters Pass. Although I wanted Dragonborn, we still have a shot for future DLC.

I do kinda wonder if Nintendo announced more DLCs just because they foresaw Byleyh could be an underwhelming and forcing pick.

Anyway I don't hate s/he, but when there are still a great selection of Nintendo characters from less presented franchises such as Pyra and Spring Man, the choice of Byleth would make people think of advertising more than moveset potential. It's not good when Byleth would easily receive backlash even if s/he is a great fighter.

As for Reggie I think he would have trouble eating his words for ensuring it's a pick as original as Joker.

All characters in the fighter pass I'm not super interested in using but they made for good CPU.

That cuphead costume tho.

Well, I guess not all the Fighter's Pass characters can be worth it....still rather disappointing, it had been going quite well for....the previous two, anyways.
That speaks. I guess if Byleth was in an earlier re or just swap with Simon or Inklings, there wouldn't had been such a down slope.

Back