Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

If Sans is a costume then who is the UnderTale rep or will there be one at all?
It would have always been Frisk even if Sans wasn't a costume. Player character before popular side character.

Reactions: zel
The Sans costume doesn't work.

I can dodge just as effectively as normal.

apparently the undertale track on youtube has its own series icon despite being in the misc section.. it may hint at something
anyway the announcement of dlc fighters past the pass was my favorite thing the whole direct tbh
give me rayman thank youuuuuuuu

I never thought that my extensive knowledge of early-to-mid-90s SNK fighting games would ever come in handy here, buuuut here we are.
Thank you, appealing Neo-Geo Pocket/Color graphics for getting me into this, I guess. The reveal trailer's a lot more fun when you understand the jokes/references.
latest

I really was surprised and happy to see how early Banjo-Kazooie would be coming to Smash. And the instant I turned the game on after updating it and saw "Banjo and Kazooie Join the Battle", I was all "YES!!! Plenty of yes!"

Terry Bogard is kinda meh to me, but I guess his series is an iconic franchise, though not as much as a lot of the other third-parties...
I thought Terry is a decent pick for a DLC since he's part of a series of popular fighting games so he has a long life, but I am not interested in this pick.

The pick that I thought is the most baffling is Joker only because I am not sure his game series is super popular, and his inclusion felt like it's just to surprise people (similar to Piranha Plant) as opposed to the plausibility of being with the Smash fighters. To elaborate, he's from a spin-off series (Persona is an offshoot of Shin Megami Tensei), a sequel game at that (5th game!) and Persona main series games never appeared on a Nintendo system, so Joker appears in a spin-off of a spin-off on a Nintendo system. Even Cloud at least appears in a main series game (though it's the 7th one) and his game eventually appeared on a Nintendo system.

Relating to SEGA, Arle would represent Puyo Puyo, which too is a spin-off series, but the difference is that this spin-off broke out since the parent publisher owns the main series but not Puyo Puyo and the characters that appeared in it (SEGA owned them all). Her inclusion would thus be considered a "main series" so if she gets in it is a more logical inclusion since most of her games appeared on Nintendo systems (one game is even exclusive to the 3DS!).

Thank you for reading.

Persona is popular in some circles, in a few of them I'm in I can't escape people talking about them.

As for SEGA, if Akira from Virtua Fighter can be an assist trophy, I better be seeing some Alis Landale or Chaz Ashley representing the best classic JRPG series ever.

i dont know how true this is but from what i've heard (while listening to other people talking about joker in smash) he was put in almost entirely because sakurai liked persona 5. plus i think persona miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight be more popular than smt itself at this point but i'm basing that conjecture solely on my own/personal interactions with other people so it's very possible im wrong on that front

All we have to wonder now is who the 5th Fighters Pass DLC will be.

Since they confirmed there'll be even more fighters on the horizon, it leaves me wondering who else they'll add. I hope one of them is Dixie Kong. Part of me is guessing either Crash or Spyro will be one of them. They added Street Fighter characters, Dragon Quest heroes, Castlevania characters, Bayonetta, Cloud Strife, PAC-MAN, Mega Man, Joker, Banjo *bleeping* Kazooie, and soon, they'll be adding Terry. And yes, Banjo-Kazooie seemed impossible due to Microsoft, but they allowed the impossible to happen. If Banjo-Kazooie can get in, anyone can. So why not Crash or Spyro?

I lost hope for any first-party fighters for the first pass relatively quickly (Banjo was a pleasant surprise but everything else is eh), but maybe Bandana Dee has hope for the next pass. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Heavy Breathing

Inhales deeply

EPHRAIM

It'd suck to end the DLCs on a non-nintendo character imo. It's like you start this series as a Nintendo all-stars and end it as something else.

I get the feeling that because of Ultimate's status as a game where it's possibly Sakurai's last game (note: not the final Smash game), he would put in as many favourites as he could muster, even if it means he might pull some strings to include Geno as a fighter.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Heavy Breathing

Inhales deeply

EPHRAIM

It'd suck to end the DLCs on a non-nintendo character imo. It's like you start this series as a Nintendo all-stars and end it as something else.
It's almost as if Smash is something else. It's a celebration of video games, not Nintendo anymore, and that's being reflected in the dlc choices. There's also other factors such as third-party characters being much better choices then Nintendo's remaining c-listers, and Sakurai mentioning he doesn't like the idea of a season pass, so he's going to want to make the most out of it. What better way to make the most out of the pass then to include third-party characters?

It's also not as if Sakurai hasn't hrown a bone to hardcore Nintendo fans, as we got Banjo & Kazooie as playable characters.

I know, I'm just presenting my own opinion. I know it's become something else, just thought I'd be epic if the last character was a Nintendo character. But I'm not really whining about anything and it really isn't a bad thing that it's more focused on third-parties now.

I'm under the impression that all the remaining DLC characters are likely to be from franchises that don't already have representation, from what Sakurai said in the Banjo and Kazooie demo video.

Which is fine by me.

FE is first party.

It probably doesn't mean anything, it's most likely Nintendo trying to push this game using Smash, which worked when they did the same thing with Dragon Quest.

I'm just gonna put this out...I think Smash Ultimate is the greatest fighting game ever made. Because the way I see it, this series grew from a fighting series featuring Nintendo characters with a couple third parties...to a love letter reminder as to why we love gaming. And all these third party companies and developers who collaborated with Sakurai on this game from SEGA, to Namco, to Platinum, to Square Enix, to to Atlus, to Microsoft, to SNK, to Toby Fox, to Konami (even though that company can go rot in hell) shows how much this game means to them, and Sakurai continuing to add more to this game for God knows how long because he knew future Smash games won't top it shows how much it means to him. That's why I think Ultimate is the greatest fighting game ever made without question.

kirby is a better fighting game

I agree that Smash Ultimate is an absolutely superb fighting game, and easily the best in the Smash series (Melee is exceedingly overrated btw). Lots of multiplayer fun and a very diverse roster.

Now if only they threw in one certain Kirby protagonist whose absence seems to leave a gaping hole in the roster...

Back