Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Loving the newcomers! Spirits looks really fun and can't wait to try it. That Piranha Plant was really a surprise, I thought it was a new item but hey I think he could be cool as a fighter :p I really loved the vocal song at the end! And Kirby was the one who survived :3

I've been super busy. I only barely had time to watch the direct, but now I can post my full thoughts.

In terms of characters, this was pretty meh, especially after the bombshell drops we got at E3 and in August. Ken was expected, but I'm glad they kept several of his key differences from Ryu in tact. Probably the most unique echo. Incineroar was a character I was dreading but I've actually really warmed up to him. He looks super fun and he has so much character and personality. Can't wait to try him out. Shame he didn't come with a Sun and Moon stage.

Then there's Piranha Plant. Perhaps the biggest what the fuck in series history. I think he looks hysterical but at the same time, I can't imagine how much it stings to be a Mario fan supporting Toad, Waluigi, or Birdo and see a fucking Piranha Plant get in as a Mario rep before your favorite. I do love that Petey made it into his final smash but really I would have preferred they just made Petey a character instead. Really though, I have every past vet and Ridley and K. Rool, so I can't be too upset about further additions.

What does upset are the assist trophies. Oh lord this direct was brutal on that front. Isaac still stings. He was one of my most wanted. I had hoped the ballot was enough of a push but apparently not. Poor Skull Kid as well. Spring Man was also a shock since I was sure he was gonna be DLC. This sentiment also carries over to Rex, who seems to be a Mii costume and that's it.

Which brings me to DLC, season pass seems reasonably priced and has a decent amount of content, I just hope the characters are hype. Not Verge, but someone who is trusts seems to be saying Minecraft Steve, a Dragon Quest character, and a character from Granblue. If these are true that's kind of a mediocre line up. I would hope those last two are hype like Banjo or Bandana Dee.

So Spirits Mode seems interesting. I'm gonna miss trophies, but this seems like a fun new take on event matches so I am most certainly down for this. And of course, the new Adventure Mode. I'm in love with that cutscene. I know it's likely the only cutscene we're getting, but I don't even care. The map looks very nice and very big and I'm excited for all the bosses we'll be encountering. Hopefully some good Zelda bosses.

Also, I'm in LOVE with the new theme. Adding vocals elevated an 8/10 track to a 10/10. Best Smash main theme so far.

All in all this shaping up to be an incredible game. I just hate that I have to wait another month.

I hope the Spirits you collect have lore bytes like the trophies did.

I know she's not the title character but due to popularity I was expecting them to add Twintelle instead for an arms character.

Probably DLC then.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
It's because, as shown with Giga Bowser and Yoshi's new final smash, they're shying away from "transformtion power up" final smashes despite those objectively being the best ones.

I mean, can anyone honestly say they'd rather play as a background punchy dude more than a giant monster lumbering around the stage doing whatever the heck it wants?
Assuming this post is addressing them eschewing Fierce Deity, they could have easily had a quick final smash where he becomes Fierce Deity but does not walk around the stage. It could have been a cutscene final Smash, something like Ike's, or heck, it could have still been Triforce Slash but with him being Fierce Deity while doing it and I would be happy. The fact that they just made it almost identical to Toon Link's is really disappointing and a missed oppurtunity. Maybe they want Young Link to represent OOT more than MM, but that doesn't make much sense since Ganondorf already represents OOT now and Great Bay (which is based on the location from Majora's Mask) can be considered Young Link's home stage.

Deku said:
Then there's Piranha Plant. Perhaps the biggest what the fuck in series history. I think he looks hysterical but at the same time, I can't imagine how much it stings to be a Mario fan supporting Toad, Waluigi, or Birdo and see a fucking Piranha Plant get in as a Mario rep before your favorite.
Nah I'm a big Toad supporter and I love Piranha Plant getting in, but I see that people now want new Mario characters even less because character counts and all. Mario got, what, two new characters this generation? And no new Link reps again?

the fans wanted ridley and k.rool

the fans needed piranha plant

also infinity war mode looks great

Like I said on GameFAQs, I find Lifelight's lyrics offensive because of the reference of the soul. I prefer the instrumental version of it due to no lyrics.
I listen to I just Don't Give a Damn by George Jones and it isn't offensive for me... weird.

White Lightning said:
Like I said on GameFAQs, I find Lifelight's lyrics offensive because of the reference of the soul. I prefer the instrumental version of it due to no lyrics.
I listen to I just Don't Give a Damn by George Jones and it isn't offensive for me... weird.

???

wat

That's....a strange thing to find offensive, I'll say that much.

White Lightning said:

Lighten up.

1flwkfwbbzv11.jpg

Meta Knight has a Dark Meta Knight alt.

He had the color scheme in Smash 4, but I'm glad they went the extra mile in giving him the scar Dark Meta Knight has, as well as the re-colored Galaxia that DMK also used.

Iirc, Meta Knight's Galacta Knight color scheme also wields a pink sword now instead of the plain Galaxia. Sadly it's not a lance unless something changed between whenever I saw it and release.

Nice.

Dark Meta Knight is my favorite playable character in Star Allies so it's cool to see that.

Oh yes that's true.

Killager was taken to a whole other level.

Gamefreak75 said:
He had the color scheme in Smash 4, but I'm glad they went the extra mile in giving him the scar Dark Meta Knight has, as well as the re-colored Galaxia that DMK also used.

Iirc, Meta Knight's Galacta Knight color scheme also wields a pink sword now instead of the plain Galaxia. Sadly it's not a lance unless something changed between whenever I saw it and release.

ss_6.jpg

Yeah it's not a lance, but the Galaxia is pink and the helmet looks proper.

Well a proper lance would necessitate a completely-different hitbox, as leaving it at Galaxia's precise length and width would kinda look pathetic. Different weapons demand differing parameters, no matter how superficially similar they look in some depictions. Not to mention that a lance can't be used as a sword in a faux-realistic setting anyways.

https://twitter.com/fiekemk8/status/1058693194253262854
The Koopalings renders.
And no, neither them nor Bowser Jr. have alternate colors. :(

I like how they have much more personality in them now, such as how Lemmy has his Clown Car tipped on its side.

This game has great artwork.

These are some of them.

Back