Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Is there something odd about the PNGs on the website, that nothing else recognizes them as PNGs and they are invalid?

Anyway, I saw something amusing in Luigi's video and had to make this reference.

Daisy literally looks like they frankensteined her head onto Peach's body.

Shit was super hype. I had the biggest goddamn smile when Ice Climbers was confirmed and the madman actually put Ridley in.

Mcmadness said:
Daisy literally looks like they frankensteined her head onto Peach's body.
Well, they pretty much stated that she isn't unique enough to be her own character, so I'm not surprised.

watching through the fighter videos and so far i've heard a new remix of bowser's smb3 battle, delfino plaza, a fe6 map theme, id purpose, lost in thoughts, ridley's theme, and dkc bonus room

but best of all there's a sick new duck hunt arrangement

ss_4.jpg

So glad Young Link returned. Thought he would forever be replaced by Toon Link.

Now that I've slept and watched a bit of the invitational, it is basically just an altered Smash 4 which isnt really unexpected. Having all the characters back is hype.

I hope there's some good actual content to go with it because I didn't bother with the wiiu version since it was pretty barebones and the 3ds version had given me enough time to figure out I didn't like it. I'm not asking for story mode but just add something so I'm not just buying this to goof around with Pichu.

I could've done without ledge trumping and characters taking 40 years to die making their return.

I was shocked when they announced Snake. People said he would not be in another Smash game, I had my faith in Snake the whole time. The announcement proved them wrong.

Dunno if anyone has done this yet but I ordered the numbers:

01 - Mario
02 - Donkey Kong
03 - Link
04 - Samus
05 - Yoshi
06 - Kirby
07 - Fox
08 - Pikachu
09 - Luigi
10 - Ness
11 - Captain Falcon
12 - Jigglypuff
13 - Peach
13ε - Daisy
14 - Bowser
15 - Ice Climbers
16 - Sheik
17 - Zelda
18 - Dr. Mario
19 - Pichu
20 - Falco
21 - Marth
21ε - Lucina
22 - Young Link
23 - Ganondorf
24 - Mewtwo
25 - Roy
26 - Mr. Game & Watch
27 - Meta Knight
28 - Pit
28ε - Dark Pit
29 - Zero Suit Samus
30 - Wario
31 - Snake
32 - Ike
33 - Squirtle
34 - Ivysaur ‎
35 - Charizard
36 - Diddy Kong
37 - Lucas
38 - Sonic
39 - King Dedede
40 - Olimar
41 - Lucario
42 - R.O.B.
43 - Toon Link
44 - Wolf
45 - Villager
46 - Mega Man
47 - Wii Fit Trainer
48 - Rosalina & Luma
49 - Little Mac
50 - Greninja
51 - Mii Brawler
52 - Mii Swordfighter
53 - Mii Gunner
54 - Palutena
55 - PAC-MAN
56 - Robin
57 - Shulk
58 - Bowser Jr.
59 - Duck Hunt
60 - Ryu
61 - Cloud
62 - Corrin
63 - Bayonetta
64 - Inkling
65 - Ridley

Man, I was hoping it would round off at 64 characters. 65 is a bit of a nasty number.

In any case, much hype. Rest assured I will be buying this the moment it comes out.

Not going to lie when I say I'm not a huge fan of starting out with 8 characters then slowly unlocking 57 more. I understand they want to "streamline" the unlock process because it was always a little strange to me, but imo the solution should not be constricting it and having you unlock more and more characters to make it a regular part of the game instead.

I totally get why they're doing this--it'll keep the game fresh for more casual players as they consistently get new characters, but it just seems unnecessarily inconvenient for me, especially because I worry about how long it'll take for me to unlock my mains.

That being said, the trailer literally came out today and the game won't be dealt out until December, so I'll hold off making this a criticism of the game until I can actually play it. Just giving my current opinion on it.

I'm pretty sure 65 is not the final number. Somewhere on Reddit, people were discussing 66 is mentioned so we could expect another character. And I imagine there are still some characters hiding, just not a lot. I'd expect at least 3-4 more.

As for the game starting out at the original 8, I am totally fine with it. I think that's really cool! It does suck there's so many characters to unlock but I will accept it. Maybe if there's an Adventure mode or something like SSE, we can unlock them quickly?

Playable Daisy is better than non-playable Daisy, so this is a win. In fact, making a character playable secures that character to be playable, which is why I wished Waluigi could have been playable at some point, because that means he will be secured for a playable role in a potential future game. It might not happen now, but here's hoping it could happen at some point.

This is quite a turn from Super Smash Bros. 4, where there are fewer unlocks relative to the size of the cast. As long as none of them has an obscene condition like Mewtwo in Melee (and in turn Mr. Game & Watch since Mewtwo needed unlocking first to get him), it's good.

Thank you for reading.

A batch of thoughts:

- I really love how they're finally bringing back all those Melee stages that have been left out for so long. Princess Peach's Castle (which should have been brought back years ago), Fourside, Great Bay, and so forth. I'm not sure, but I'm beginning to suspect that they're bringing back every stage from the past games. I know it sounds crazy, but look at the list on Smash Wiki and all the stages visible in screenshots and you'll understand.
- Every veteran returning is pretty cool. I never thought Young Link or Pichu would return, but here we are. Too bad that means there will be few newcomers, but maybe it's worth it.
- I am furious that they put in Daisy before Waluigi. I know they only did it because they needed an easy clone newcomer, but out of all the Mario newcomers they could chosen, they chose the one with arguably the least reason to be in it. I can't believe they made the mistake of making Waluigi an assist trophy again. Oh well, if Ridley finally got in after so many years than maybe Waluigi will too some day...
- Speaking of which, it's absolutely awesome that Ridley is in. Metroid finally gets the representation it deserves. But is it just me or do some of his moves look similar to Charizard...?
- The Squid Sisters are an assist trophy. I knew they weren't gonna be playable... but hey, I can't complain since they are in the game with more than a simple trophy.
- Zelda representation is the best it can be without having newcomers. It's an interesting choice to have the characters' designs represent several games in the franchise, and I think it's the best course of action (certainly better than reusing TP designs).

All in all, this game is looking to be more of a collection of nearly everything from the series' past (at least as far as characters and stages go) with a small amount of new stuff. That's an unexpected approach to take, but I think it can work out. I'm excited to play with all those classic characters and stages and to try the new stuff too!

Sorry Ridley, I know Mario's just gonna respawn in a floating sci-fi platform thing, but I'm going to have to kill you now.

Especially after I said you won't be in because you'll look stupid.

I think I said it before, but I prefer that everyone returns first, so that way, Smash Bros. veterans don't have to fret about who's going to get cut. I'd rather have everyone return than cut characters for new characters. I think that's only fair.

Bandanna Waddle Dee and Maxwell.
That's all I ask!

I'm not going to ask for Aloy, because she's way too obscure and new, and not Nintendo.

I am hoping that Assist Trophies can also encompass playable characters, so we might have some characters who looked like they are Assist Trophies but they are in fact playable but we didn't know that. Feel free to dispute this because that's like a very slim chance of that happening.

Thank you for reading.

Eh Mario has plenty of 1-up Mushrooms to prevent him from crossing over to the Overthere and even if Mega Man runs out of lives, Dr. Light can probably fix him right up.

Captain America said:
I don't think we're spending enough time on the fact that Mario and Mega Man got *bleep*ing murdered.
Princess Mario said:
Sorry Ridley, I know Mario's just gonna respawn in a floating sci-fi platform thing, but I'm going to have to kill you now.

Especially after I said you won't be in because you'll look stupid.
I don't think any more time needs to be spent. LGM is on the case.
RIP Ridley. You won't be missed by Samus at least.

So did anyone else feel like some of Ridley's moves looked familiar? Like they were similar to Charizard's or something?

J-Yoshi64 said:
Bandanna Waddle Dee.
I'm expecting a few more newcomers.

Princess Mario said:
I think I said it before, but I prefer that everyone returns first, so that way, Smash Bros. veterans don't have to fret about who's going to get cut. I'd rather have everyone return than cut characters for new characters. I think that's only fair.

I agree. but i do really wish there was shovel knight like cmon ;-;

Back