Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

They gave Ike his voice from Heroes and brought in Marth's English VA. Hopefully they do the same for Cloud, and also re-record Fox's voice (EDIT: omg they did and it's so much better).

I also like the Fire Emblem Critical Hit-style cut-ins for the Final Smashes, that's a nice touch.

I just thought of something.

Smash Melee/Brawl/3DS/Wii U had FLUDD as Mario's down special.

Smash Ultimate has Cappy, and no word on FLUDD.

Could it be that Cappy is replacing FLUDD? No, I have a better idea. What if Smash Ultimate had custom fighters? Then they could make one option for Cappy and another for FLUDD. The third one? No clue.

The stock heads don't seem to be just artwork crops. They're their own thing, and they're stylized with flat colors.

I'll show a handful.

MarioHeadSSBU.png
KirbyHeadSSBU.png
LinkHeadSSBU.png
PikachuHeadSSBU.png

Sonic and Pac-Man's just have their logos, probably because that's already the best representation of their heads, I don't know.

Hey Capcom! Maybe you should think about doing what Sakurai is doing for your next Marvel vs Capcom game. Maybe that franchise will be loved again.

Princess Mario said:
The stock heads don't seem to be just artwork crops. They're their own thing, and they're stylized with flat colors.

I'll show a handful.

MarioHeadSSBU.png
KirbyHeadSSBU.png
LinkHeadSSBU.png
PikachuHeadSSBU.png

Sonic and Pac-Man's just have their logos, probably because that's already the best representation of their heads, I don't know.
For a while my avatar was something like this. Of myself, of course, because I have an unhealthy obsession with self inserts. I'm not a narcissist I swear. I hope.

One thing I just noticed. Robin's character trailer doesn't showcase his/her Final Smash.

Will Chrom get his chance... another day... as an Echo Fighter for Ike?

I'm glad that the Miis will return in this game. Happily they are not going to die :)

Captain America said:
I don't think we're spending enough time on the fact that Mario and Mega Man got fucking murdered.
The only character that could get me more hyped than Mega Man straight up kills him.

supermariofan said:
Hey Capcom! Maybe you should think about doing what Sakurai is doing for your next Marvel vs Capcom game. Maybe that franchise will be loved again.

To be fair, what characters on the marvel side that get in isn't exactly their choice.

I do hope that small, stupid change of selecting stage first, then characters doesn't get that much in the way of enjoying the game. What would happen if you wanted to rematch someone in a counterpick stage? Would you have to reselect those characters or would they retain them? Either way, it's an arbitrary move.

Princess Mario said:
I do hope that small, stupid change of selecting stage first, then characters doesn't get that much in the way of enjoying the game. What would happen if you wanted to rematch someone in a counterpick stage? Would you have to reselect those characters or would they retain them? Either way, it's an arbitrary move.
Agreed. I hope that can be changed in options or something.

I noticed some things in the trailer.

-Daisy, Dark Pit, and Lucina are Echo Fighters.

-Alph and the Koopalings are now seemingly just palette swaps instead of Echo Fighters.

-Dr. Mario is not an Echo Fighter.

What a mess.

I suppose you haven't played Smash Wii U, but Dark Pit and Lucina are always considered "separate" fighters while Alph and the Koopalings have always been palette swaps. Echo fighters are pretty much fighters who have slightly different characteristics. Doc has been Luigified, so he's now more of a semi-clone, as he has a different down-special and d-air as well as having every move behave very differently from Mario. Lucina and Dark Pit, on the other hand, are extremely similar to their base character, Marth and Pit respectively. Daisy also looks nearly identical to Peach, and she's closer to Peach than Doc is to Mario.

J-Yoshi64 said:
Of myself, of course, because I have an unhealthy obsession with self inserts.

You're weird.

Princess Mario said:

As someone who plays really long sessions, someone will be really unhappy if the fighter selections and stuff are unchanged.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
J-Yoshi64 said:
Of myself, of course, because I have an unhealthy obsession with self inserts.

You're weird.
Thank you. And I know. It's a problem. :shifty:

Princess Mario said:
I suppose you haven't played Smash Wii U, but Dark Pit and Lucina are always considered "separate" fighters while Alph and the Koopalings have always been palette swaps. Echo fighters are pretty much fighters who have slightly different characteristics. Doc has been Luigified, so he's now more of a semi-clone, as he has a different down-special and d-air as well as having every move behave very differently from Mario. Lucina and Dark Pit, on the other hand, are extremely similar to their base character, Marth and Pit respectively. Daisy also looks nearly identical to Peach, and she's closer to Peach than Doc is to Mario.
I have played Smash Wii U; actually, it's the only Smash game I've played. I never understood why Lucina and Dark Pit got their own slots, why Alph didn't (even though he's as much as an Echo Fighter as them), and why there are two characters named Roy in the game. It doesn't really make sense.

Slots don't really mean much, but I think it might be a good idea, only for aesthetic reasons, to tie Echo Fighters in the same tile as the base fighters, maybe the same for Doc as well. Alph isn't "as much as an Echo Fighter"; he's only a cosmetic change from Olimar. Echo Fighters seem to have slightly modified attack properties.

Sunshine Yoshi said:
I never understood why Lucina and Dark Pit got their own slots, why Alph didn't (even though he's as much as an Echo Fighter as them), and why there are two characters named Roy in the game. It doesn't really make sense.
Lucina & Dark Pit are clones because they didn't have enough time to make a new character, but had enough time to create a clone. The Reason Alph didn't become a Clone was because they didn't have enough time to make him into a Clone.

I feel you're just trying to confuse YoshiFlutterJump :shifty:

Not really, because Dark Pit also has a different d-special. Dr. Mario's overall moveset and playstyle is radically different. Dr. Mario is about being patient and scoring strong hits. Mario is about mobility and stringing comboes.

The thing about Alph, though, is that he and the Koopalings aren't treated like other palette swaps, even though they share a slot. The announcer and crowd calls them by a different name, and they seem to have unique sprites. For the Koopalings, it makes sense that they share a slot with Bowser Jr., considering that there are seven of them (not to mention that some Fire Emblem character came through DLC and stole Roy's name); however, the fact that the Koopalings can become Shadow Mario is just confusing.

Alph and the Koopalings are basically in a category of their own: the Swap Fighter class. They behave exactly the same as another fighter (like Echo Fighters), and are selected by pressing L/R on another character (like palette swaps), but they have unique sprites and are called by different names.

For Dr. Mario, you're right that he's more than an echo fighter. But his moveset is heavily based on Mario's, except for his down special (he uses Mario's original down special instead of FLUDD) and his final smash.

Back