Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I've always liked the idea of Grovyle being added as a PMD rep, as well as throwing gen III fans a bone. He's not really relevant anymore but I still feel like he would be fun.

I know that two Smash Amiibos will be released alongside the game, Ridley and Inkling Amiibos. Can't wait until they release one based off of Snake.

Captain America said:
I've always liked the idea of Grovyle being added as a PMD rep, as well as throwing gen III fans a bone. He's not really relevant anymore but I still feel like he would be fun.
I've always said that if the was a MCU-esque Smash Brothers universe, the best video game adaption of Pokemon would be Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky, at least set somewhere in that universe

Those games were amazing and don't get nearly enough love from Nintendo. The storyline was fantastic, you could connect and identify with all the characters, heck even the scenery was amazing.

I also have ideas for how Red/Blue Rescue team could the in as a prequel series but this isn't the place to discuss that.

Just looking at trailers sometimes it's hard to spot the visual updates from Smash 4, but when you look at side by side screenshots...
DgJvyFdXUAQnPzK.jpg:large

It really does look so much better.

Eh, better graphic capabilities, more details...

Better look 8)

Oh yeah the Smash Ultimate one looks better. I like more details on the grass, and the shadows are simply much better.

And we all know that Smash is aiming for the more "realistic designs" so I guess they're doing their job fine?

I'm betting the only thing they changed was how the environments are rendered (e.g. lighting rather than actual major model changes aside from the addition of new props), but those textures surely are changed too. The grass being higher-res and have the checkerboard detail as well as additional small things like flowers and changed the tire stacks (both look like they're taken from Mario Kart 8 ) and generally not like a sea of bright green as well as the more realistic clouds help. There is also the addition of striped hills to make the landscape more interesting.

When I mean by "lighting", just check the character's shadows, but also check out the tree shadows. In Smash 4, the flowers and trees don't even look like they exist on the plane, like a Photoshop paste.

They also changed from CircuitMario to MarioKart for whatever reason.

The grass and shadows themselves, though, are alone to make Smash 5's look better.

Iron Man said:
And we all know that Smash is aiming for the more "realistic designs" so I guess they're doing their job fine?

Realistic is usually better looking, hence why games like Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 look as they do now, as they clearly used realistic environments as inspiration to get better graphics.

Unless you're being deliberately stylized (like cell shading like in Breath of the Wild) then it's generally better to aim for realistic lighting and detailed textures. The only issue with realism is just how expensive it is related to polycount, texture detail, and effort it takes to simulate realistic lighting, so you sometimes have to sacrifice that for performance.

Iron Man said:

Last I've checked, Smash Ultimate follows a more cartoonish type of art style, much like with Smash 3DS / Wii U.

I like that Ultimate has Link's design Breath of The Wild, Zelda no longer being in her design from Brawl that was carried over to Smash 4, and Gannondorf having his Orcarina of Time design which we haven't seen since Melee, but with updated graphics.

Link logically had to have his Breat of the Wild design because of the game's popularity. Ganon was't really Gerudo Ganondorf in Breath of the Wild, so they shoved in OoT Ganondorf, and Zelda was more of a researched in BotW so they added in ALBW Zelda, which is a good thing except for those who wanted to see the booty

Now that you think of it, all these cool designs we got were pretty much by coincidence. Holy crap did it work out well.

Sakurai basically stated he just chose the designs he liked the best because he wasn't restricted to having the Zelda cast in one style his time.

The lack of one coherent design gives me hope for Skyward Sword Impa as a Sheik echo.

So how do people feel about DK's new look, it might be unfinished but it seems like they're ditching the more realistic fur.

Smash 4:
screen-1.jpg

screen-2.jpg

screen-6.jpg

Ultimate:
ss_1.jpg

ss_2.jpg

ss_6.jpg

I will say that they definitely tweaked his face to be more in line with modern DK.

Still looks good though. It's nothing pale in comparison with Smash 4 (even though I am the one who earlier stated that realism was a key factor in making the game look good).

I like the fur more in smash 4, but i really like how expressive dk is in ultimate.

I don't like the newer DK design. It looks like he has brittle cardboard for fur. Smash 4 looks better.

I wonder if the Star KO has been tweaked from the last game. I think that’s more important to talk about than “Wahhh I want Waluigi!”

Star KOs are still the same "lol random" of last game, but they're more frequent because I think they're no longer dependent of the speed the opponent was launched. Also, Screen KOs now last shorter; they used to outlast Star KOs surprisingly.

I don't understand why they just don't count Star KOs RIGHT when the opponent reaches past the blast line than right when they vanish. I also will never understand why they just arbitrarily made ceiling KOs sometimes be blast KOs.

Finally I will never understand why they removed the Star KO yelling when losing all health in Stamina mode nor how they removed Freezie Star KOs (and how in Brawl, they just reverted tiny and giant characters to normal size).

Princess Mario said:
Star KOs are still the same "lol random" of last game, but they're more frequent because I think they're no longer dependent of the speed the opponent was launched. Also, Screen KOs now last shorter; they used to outlast Star KOs surprisingly.

I don't understand why they just don't count Star KOs RIGHT when the opponent reaches past the blast line than right when they vanish. I also will never understand why they just arbitrarily made ceiling KOs sometimes be blast KOs.

Finally I will never understand why they removed the Star KO yelling when losing all health in Stamina mode nor how they removed Freezie Star KOs (and how in Brawl, they just reverted tiny and giant characters to normal size).
That’s bullshit. I always love the star and screen ko more than the typical ko. I can’t believe they would change it and make it rare.

Back