Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

That_Yellow_Mushroom said:
I just don't understand how they have Link in his new BOTW outfit, but they still have yet to put Ganondorf in his Hyrule Warriors look :mad:

I think it's because Ganondorf's Hyrule Warriors incarnation is not canon to the Zelda timeline. And when you think about, his Ocarina of Time incarnation is too bad*** to neglect.

It seems the Smash website doesn't update on weekends as usual, nothing for the past two days on the Smash blog.
But boy, getting daily Smash updates is really gonna perk me up, something to look forward to every week? Heck yeah

I just don't understand how they have Link in his new BOTW outfit, but they still have yet to put Ganondorf in his Hyrule Warriors look :mad:

Speaking of which, have you notices how now each Link comes from a different timeline? (That is if we believe that BotW is in the downfall timeline)

Toon Link comes from the adult timeline and Young Link is from the child timeline.

Kinda cool when you think about now.

Iron Man said:

Speaking of which, have you notices how now each Link comes from a different timeline? (That is if we believe that BotW is in the downfall timeline)

Toon Link comes from the adult timeline and Young Link is from the child timeline.

Kinda cool when you think about now.
Awesome.

We got:
Link (BotW)
Toon Link (TWW)
Young Link (OoT / MM)
Zelda (ALttP / ALBW)
Ganondorf (OoT)
Sheik (OoT, outfit based from BotW)

plus
Midna (TP)
Ghirahim (SS)
Tingle (MM)

A Zelda crossover, inside a multi-game crossover.

I wonder why they chose ALBW Zelda over BOTW Zelda. I think the thing about BOTW Zelda preferring research over fighting is more of a sort of in-universe reason and not the real reason. My guess is that it was because she wouldn't fit the traditional Zelda moveset very well, especially because she doesn't have a traditional outfit in that game. I couldn't really picture it working anyway.

Sakurai also mentioned that throwing out the unified design for the Zelda characters let him choose what he preffered.

Basically he likes ALBW Zelda the most and went with her. I think this decision was for the best, as it also gave us OoT Ganon.

You can look at the Zelda representation like this:

Link - Breath of the Wild
Zelda - A Link Between Worlds/A Link To The Past
Ganondorf & Sheik - Ocarina of Time
Young Link - Majora's Mask (Even if Young Link is also still OoT too)
Toon Link - Wind Waker (And other games that used the Wind Waker style like Spirit Tracks)

Why not just go through the Hyrule Warriors route and give characters their other incarnations? I know that's work but think of the fans!

Honestly, I'm fine with representing several games as well. I'm definitely glad they finally ditched the TP designs. This is the best playable character representation the Zelda series could have short of actually adding a newcomer.

I would not be shocked if we get DLC costumes for this game. Other incarnations for the Zelda cast, old school looks for the Star Fox trio, Dry Bowser, etc.

Princess Mario said:
I want Tingle
This woman speaks the truth.

Could you imagine all the delicious salt if Tingle got in with such a limited amount of newcomers?

Bring on the Tingle, please. He's the only recurring important Zelda character besides Impa not in and he even has his own sub series of games. That's more than you can say for a lot of other potential characters. And not to be a conspiracy theorist, but we haven't seen his assist trophy yet and we haven't seen him on Great Bay yet either. Not that appearing on a stage hindered Toon Link from getting in.

You know there might be an explanation as to why they didn't include Waluigi, other than the lame "they don't about him" excuse.

Since the team's priority was get back every single Smash Bros fighter in Smash history, they don't have time for many newcomers. Take a look at the ones they DID put in.

Inklings: Splatoon has become one of Nintendo's biggest IPs so they HAD to include the Inklings.
Daisy: Since she's an echo fighter, she's not too hard to make.
Ridley: The most demanded character for Smash, which is why they brought him.

Based on that, maybe Waluigi would have made it in if not "Everybody is here!" Makes a lot of sense to me.

There's also this theory, even though it's probably just gonna raise people's hopes and then not happen:

Pretty sure Alpha is just memeing, but on the off chance that he isn't.

Dear Waluigi fans,

As someone who convinced themselves that the shadow of Ridley on Pyrosphere meant he was gonna be playable, just accept that he's not happening. Maybe in a future game, but as of right now the Waluigi dream is dead and people should move on.

Sincerely,
A Ridley fan who endured all of Smash 4 pre-release.

Yes, at least it's nipped in the bud right now, unlike what happened to Lucas and Rayman.

Announcing all the past veterans at the start was a great move and saves us the agonizing wait of finding out if our favorite veterans were cut or not. Of course we now see that wasn't gonna be an issue, but still.

Beats my idea of wanting devs just announce which vet is cut. But seriously, if they want to cut anyone, they better let people know from the get go. No point in keeping a bad surprise. Ice Climbers was a special case, though, but we were warned at least that the developers had trouble with them.

Iron Man said:
You know there might be an explanation as to why they didn't include Waluigi, other than the lame "they don't about him" excuse.

Since the team's priority was get back every single Smash Bros fighter in Smash history, they don't have time for many newcomers. Take a look at the ones they DID put in.

Inklings: Splatoon has become one of Nintendo's biggest IPs so they HAD to include the Inklings.
Daisy: Since she's an echo fighter, she's not too hard to make.
Ridley: The most demanded character for Smash, which is why they brought him.

Based on that, maybe Waluigi would have made it in if not "Everybody is here!" Makes a lot of sense to me.

Yeah if you really think about it, Waluigi not being in this Smash despite Daisy making it in is explainable for a few reasons.

Daisy did not take Waluigi's spot, she's an Echo Fighter just like Dark Pit and Lucina who didn't take much effort. Fans like Memoryman can gloat all they want. But Daisy is not a factor in anybody being left out.

With the return of so many veterans plus everybody in Smash 4 that is already ALOT of characters. And might not lead much room for too many newcomers at least base game wise. And as such they may want to be smarter for their picks then another Mario character mostly relegated to spin-offs. I love Waluigi too, but he was in the same boat as Daisy in terms of being stuck as spin-off fodder. And unless you go to the desperate route of making Waluigi an echo of Bayonetta, there isn't anybody to easy make Waluigi off of. He would have to be his own unique character. And there are still more important/iconic Mario characters left before they include a unique Waluigi into Smash. And that's not even putting into consideration space left for every single other franchise in the game.

Northern Verve said:
the desperate route of making Waluigi an echo of Bayonetta
I can't even imagine the fan reaction for that one aside from polarizing lol.

Back