Mario Kart Tour

Just saying, I called DK Jr returning for the anniversary ... this is just not the way I expected it to happen

non-canon implies there was any real canon to begin with.

in that case i hope he looks closer to his og design like mario tennis (where he already appeared alongside modern dk too)
Donkey_Kong_Jr_MT64_art.png

and not....... double dash dk jr
MKDD_Unused_Character_Icons.png
(source)
would be neat to have him properly in the game either way with him being the only character in super mario kart that hasnt reappeared anywhere else (besides that snes sprite)

hasnt reappeared anywhere else (besides that snes sprite)
Like said, canonical factors are legit enough for him to be unable to return. I don't think fans have been complaining like "NIntendo should had made him return, they don't have proper excuse!!" when other one-off key characters like Wart and Wizpig don't have such issue.

In the case of Pauline they managed to create a new role to fit in the post-DKC era to differentiate from her old self. The other closes cases are Baby Daisy and Pink Gold Peach, who didn't debut with story references. But arguably, they have counterpart characters to base on so we at least know where did they come from.

But anyway, since DKJr at least appears as 8-bit, I think NIntendo should really do a formal introduction about this character for the current Mario canon, no matter whether they would like to give him a new 3D render in newer DKC titles or not.

And still, I believe DKJr has such special treat definitely because he was one of the missing arcade era veterans than the "Mario Kart history completionism". If Nintendo really like such idea, hope that they can fairly do the same to other Mario spinoffs and revive other missing characters.

Last edited:
I mean we had Paper Luigi drive a kart so that's possible. But Paper Mario is never referenced in the first place, so fat chance he has.

Like said, canonical factors are legit enough for him to be unable to return. I don't think fans have been complaining like "NIntendo should had made him return, they don't have proper excuse!!" when other one-off key characters like Wart and Wizpig don't have such issue.

In the case of Pauline they managed to create a new role to fit in the post-DKC era to differentiate from her old self. The other closes cases are Baby Daisy and Pink Gold Peach, who didn't debut with story references. But arguably, they have counterpart characters to base on so we at least know where did they come from.

But anyway, since DKJr at least appears as 8-bit, I think NIntendo should really do a formal introduction about this character for the current Mario canon, no matter whether they would like to give him a new 3D render in newer DKC titles or not.

And still, I believe DKJr has such special treat definitely because he was one of the missing arcade era veterans than the "Mario Kart history completionism". If Nintendo really like such idea, hope that they can fairly do the same to other Mario spinoffs and revive other missing characters.

I really don't think canon has anything to do with it. It's just that Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong has made him redundant and that they never felt the need to return him.

I really don't think canon has anything to do with it. It's just that Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong has made him redundant and that they never felt the need to return him.
To simplify, yeah, that saying works.

The best would be like how M&L explained babies and Paper Mario. Strangely that series even did some important things other "main titles" never managed to do.

I agre with 8-bit given, Paper Mario for Kart isn't out of blue.

Apart that there is no current canon (to have an idea at how extraneous is the concept of canon in Mario games just look at Super Mario Odyssey putting Yoshi's house near Super Mario 64 Peach's Castle and then putting completely different surroundings to both), the DK Jr. sprite is a 16-bits sprite, I don't think we should use the word 8-bits for what are retro sprites, as many of them never were colored with only 8-bits colors to begin with.

Apart that there is no current canon

I don't think we should use the word 8-bits for what are retro sprites
I'd say canon isn't the biggest matter, it'd be more direct to think "who this is".

(yes, we got Nabbit who came out from random, but arguably DKJr wasn't made to be in that kind of role)

Before official announcement. it was based on the official name of the counterpart in DMW. I'm netural with names, but would hope that they can keep it in line.

Doesn't sound like he has a voice no.

Both Mario (SNES) and DK Jr (SNES) don't have voices. Instead, Super Mario Kart jingles and SFX are played when playing as these characters (race start, item roulette and race finish). Pretty cool, right.

I think the drift sound effects is also from Super Mario Kart, their voices when selected are sound clips from Super Mario Kart.

I like what they did with the animations following the style of Super Mario Kart even for the new ones, luckily the animation and sprite work of Super Mario Kart was quite decent, save for those Bullet Bills that we never ever could have guessed if it was not for Yoshi's Safari and the Nintendo Official Guidebook...

Last edited:

Sunshine Mario is teased in this pic.

EiLQRrtXgA4qJkR

But that aside, SoCal Los Angeles, hell yeah, so cool seeing my home county referenced! Though that Ferris wheel likely references the Santa Monica pier, which technically aren't in Los Angeles since the images that crop up when people think LA (like skyscrapers and Hollywood) aren't all that close to Santa Monica.

Mario finally gets to see LA
Would be cool if a Pinata or a Noki showed up as a racer, I would even take Shadow Mario, Petey, Gooper Blooper or those weird Tanooki merchants that never showed up again, hey, it worked for Baby Wario

Reactions: zel
It must be nice to see your home country in a Mario game.

"Tune in next Wednesday for a tour in the land of vampires! Starting with the Bucharest Tour, you'll scream from the bottom of your lungs as Vampire Wario cuts you off on Victory Avenue in the 3rd most congested city of Europe!"

Eh, maybe Moscow is better suited for that.

I wonder how many Eastern European people are on this forum beside the two of us lol.

I think Russia has better chances at being represented in Mario Kart Tour than Romania, what with Nintendo having more exposure to their products in Russia and the country being just more widely known. Although, they could play off Transylvania tropes and thus represent Romania in some way. They could set a course in a creepy medieval town, or heck, something based on this:

00.jpg

which would be wonderful.

As for the Moscow Tour, I think it should feature Kremlings in cossack and soviet attire. Because, you know... the Kremlin is there.

Last edited:
Huh, the music might even be g-funk inspired, that would have been great and fitting.

I still like it. Very nice.

The track is most certainly based on Santa Monica, even has the pier and all. But as I said, that's not LA, technically but still really cool to see it!

Last edited:
Back