Mario Tennis Aces

Swiftie_Luma said:
i found out that ages ago in the base game and nobody seemed interested.
My sister was always interested, so was I.

Source is on Twitter

https://twitter.com/MarioTennisClub/status/1077319013028511745

(also he comes with a Baby Luigi costume so....er....that means I can pretend Baby Luigi is playable???? Why not just make Baby Luigi playable huh? ;~~~~~~;)

ZelenPixel said:
im curious too. no link anywhere or something?

Baby Mario originally appeared just as a name in a line of text considering sound, but it appears he now actually has content in an update.

When I decided to check the game after a long dormant period, I am surprised at some of the changes! Like for example, the tournament is now set up to be 3 rounds instead of 5, like the CPU one. However, the bad news is that I can't seem to find other people online, so no unlocking Luma early for me unfortunately.

The Adventure mode has some new challenges, though I only finished one.

The Co-op challenges sound like a great idea, but it's marred by the lack of people online so I didn't get to play it (and unlock coloured Yoshis).

Thank you for reading.

Well, the only thing to get online tournament characters early is to play the online tournament by the time they come live. Mine's at 10am AWST (I always call it the "Nintendo Midnight", that most games such as Splatoon 2 starts a new day at this schedule), so yours depends on your timezone.

I want to get Pauline early by the time the (March?) online tournament goes live.

Here's an interesting find in a Mario Tennis Aces datamine. It hosts a surprise that I don't think anybody would expect without looking at it, so be mindful if you don't want to be spoiled!

Dw6CHPfVAAARPAx.png

Yep, that's right: Link is found in the datamine, and he has two other skins to go along with it: his Dark Link counterpart and the Breath of the Wild counterpart. Presumably he will have a tennis racquet but maybe he will maintain his sword like in the images above.

Source: https://twitter.com/MarioTennisClub/status/1084948010885439489

Thank you for reading.

Captain America said:
Now we're talking. Put Link in all Mario games, please.
Put Mario in all Link games, and no, not just Talon or his relatives

After creating a thread about it on GameFAQs, someone later chimed in with a confirmation that it's actually fake:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/230455-mario-tennis-aces/77390229

It's a shame really because I would love to play tennis as Link.

We really need to verify alleged dataminers, that's our lesson.

Yeah, it's too bad it's not meant to be. I suppose life continues on though.

Speaking of that, this is a tier list from a number of Japanese top players. This is based on Singles Standard, so it's not ranked on Simple nor is Doubles taken into account. What do you think of it?
DwrvVh1UYAIqRyS.jpg

It's amusing to see how low Bowser Jr. is in the list, compared to how dominant he used to be in the early life of this game. Waluigi is surprisingly in the middle of the list, but I wished he were better as to deserve a higher rank because he's the better Defensive player of the two. It's also nice to see Koopa Troopa being that high, as well as Daisy, but sadly Mario is on the lower end.

Thank you for reading.

Birdo in dead last. This makes me sad. I'd love to make great use out of Birdo, but I'm not that good at the game, even with top tier characters. :(

I saw Link. I was thinking of buying the game.

Well that didn't last, didn't it.

I'm not terribly surprised Yoshi is at the top, I felt like after the changes they made to trick shots that Yoshi's speed went from unnecessary to incredibly useful.

Not that I can find anyone that plays online in Australia these days. Those co-op challenges might as well not exist at all for me and even though the rewards for them are cosmetic, having them be locked out from me because of things out of my control left me a little bitter so I've pretty much stopped playing this completely.

Earning points is surprisingly not as tedious as before the Online subscription requirement, so I am halfway in unlocking Luigi's costumes. Still wish they provide a way to unlock the character costumes because I missed out on 3 or 4 months worth of challenges, as I wasn't patient enough to wait for the Co-op games (even the Yoshi ones). If only I have some people to co-op with.

Thank you for reading.

I got Plumber Mario back in June, the Yoshi colors last-minute, and Plumber Luigi a couple days ago. I did not get the Boo visors, unfortunately, as I had neither the game nor a subscription back then.

King Dedede said:
I got Plumber Mario back in June, the Yoshi colors last-minute, and Plumber Luigi a couple days ago. I did not get the Boo visors, unfortunately, as I had neither the game nor a subscription back then.

Did you play co-op with family or with other people online? I have a feeling that it's possible to earn points on a friendly session, which would mean that having a person to play with is a huge advantage itself.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
King Dedede said:

Did you play co-op with family or with other people online? I have a feeling that it's possible to earn points on a friendly session, which would mean that having a person to play with is a huge advantage itself.

Thank you for reading.
I've got five siblings, so it's pretty easy to find people to play with in my house. I got half of the required points with my brother and one of my sisters, so I only had to find one other person online. The other half I did by myself, so I had to find three other people online. But I frequently logged in to the room, and I didn't have many problems finding players (other than the fact that this one guy was usually in the online room but would always instantly leave when I entered for some reason).

I have finished Star Cup in this game finally, and it was as difficult as it is. I used Koopa Paratroopa intending for this tournament to be a warm up, but it proves to be tougher than I thought. I don't remember the first opponent I faced, but the second was Bowser Jr., which gave me trouble so I suspect his AI is much better than average. The final match is against Spike which I suspect had the highest difficulty AI, and he proved to be too much that I just quit. Luckily you can continue where you left off, and Mario was my opponent that time (which is better because being defeated by Mario beats being defeated by Spike). The match went much better for me so I can't complain about the opponent change.

In terms of online, I still never won a tournament in both Standard and Simple, so I feel like I am the worst Mario Tennis player in the forums. Because winning earlier matches increases rating, the Finals will usually be very tough because I will inevitably be matched up against tougher opponents. My current rating is in the C (2200 - 2349) range for Standard, and C- (2100 - 2199) for Simple, so sadly I probably will never win a tournament.

Thank you for reading.

Back