New Mario movie in the works

Re: Reports of a new Mario movie

I do hope that the film goes for a Super Mario Adventures-type feeling to it. Nintendo's involved with production apparently and who knows? Maybe we'll end up with something watchable or maybe more ambitious than the games.
Part of me does wonder if Illumination will channel their inner "Despicable Me" for Bowser considering he's kinda similar to Gru (or at least DM1-2 Gru) in regards to the his minions and Junior.
Also, it'd be great if he got a song like this

It is clear because it is one this lists for best family game and for best strategy game.
Yeah, but how many other games were in the running for best family strategy game?

I hope this film is of the So Bad, It's Good variety.

Mister Apple said:
It is clear because it is one this lists for best family game and for best strategy game.
Yeah, but how many other games were in the running for best family strategy game?

I hope this film is of the So Bad, It's Good variety.
But you have the first movie for that.

I'd go in the direction of the old designs, with an 85-89 era environment and style.

tbh I think this movie will probably be ok-ish.

I don't think it's going to be amazing, because as mentioned Mario is a hard series to really translate to a film. But I do think it'll probably be far above the live-action movie and any of the cartoons. It'll be a 3D Animation studio that can make the whole movie actually accurate to the game art style and can capture the lightheartedness of the franchise that should entertain kids.

I'm not saying it's going to be like MOVIE OF THE YEAR 2022 (Or whenever it comes out). But it could honestly potentially be the best Mario media outside of video games (and maybe comics?) in the franchise. That's not exactly saying alot, but it could definitely be serviceable.

Julia-BM said:
So it's early in development? That means it will probably come out in 2-3 years or so.

Also, it would probably have the art style of Mario+Rabbids.
no, they're just in talks, we don't even know if this is happening. two years is definitely not happening and three years would only be if it's a rushed job

BBQ Turtle said:
Apparently, Shigeru Miyamoto has been involved in the talks though, so I wouldn't think he'd let it go extremely badly.
fiqR0i6.jpg

Nabber said:
Julia-BM said:
So it's early in development? That means it will probably come out in 2-3 years or so.

Also, it would probably have the art style of Mario+Rabbids.
no, they're just in talks, we don't even know if this is happening. two years is definitely not happening and three years would only be if it's a rushed job

BBQ Turtle said:
Apparently, Shigeru Miyamoto has been involved in the talks though, so I wouldn't think he'd let it go extremely badly.
fiqR0i6.jpg
Because Pikmin 3 had no plot right?
Nor either of the two Paper Mario games (N64 and TTYD) Miyamoto helped produced right?

Knowing it’s Illumination they’ll probably stay safe and not try to be Casablanca level of filmmaking.

I hope it may turn out to be better than that 1993 live action horrible abomination of a movie and around as good as that OVA movie but even better. I mean Nintendo did have movies on Animal Crossing and Pokemon and whatnot and they were at least good.

Northern Verve said:
But it could honestly potentially be the best Mario media outside of video games (and maybe comics?) in the franchise. That's not exactly saying alot, but it could definitely be serviceable.
Super Mario-Kun is good IMO even if a little gratuitous on body humor sometimes.

I myself am looking forward to it because even if the movie sucks, our favorites will still look really handsome. Though I entertain the idea of a Mario + Minions crossover as if to make the fanbase squirm more than a burning worm.

I'm hoping for it to reference more than the main series. TBH I think a series would be better than a movie. But this has promise.

I know you're just itching to say "MaRPGs". :P

King Antasma said:
I'm hoping for it to reference more than the main series. TBH I think a series would be better than a movie. But this has promise.
I hope that there's a Star Hill in the movie because that would be a really clever reference.

I don't know why Illumination has so many people riled up though. I liked Despicable Me and the Lorax (though I think the Minions were hardly the reason I liked Despicable Me) and I think with Nintendo's guidance I think it can be good.

Illumination doesn't have great story-writing. They make okay-ish movies at best and people associate Illumination mainly with the annoying Dr. Mario pills, same reaction people made when Mario + Rabbids was leaked. I don't expect it to be horrible though but I'm also keeping my expectations low and "lol cheap entertainment" and I think I'll like it even if it's similarly crazy and childish as its previous films.

King Antasma said:
I don't know why Illumination has so many people riled up though. I liked Despicable Me and the Lorax (though I think the Minions were hardly the reason I liked Despicable Me) and I think with Nintendo's guidance I think it can be good.
Most of their offerings are considered mediocre. The Lorax itself suffers from a number of changes that greatly change the story (Onceler being changed from a careless businessman who logically argued with The Lorax to a nerdy guy who was mostly pressured by his family) and hypocritical marketing.
(For extra fun, look at the like/dislike ratio of that video).
As for Despicable Me, the sequels didn't really measure up to the first movie and the Minions basically became the face of the studio and boomed in merchandise (I will admit that I do get annoyed when I see Minions randomly, but I don't have the same seething hate the rest of the internet has).
All that said, Nintendo is keeping a close eye on this and they have been known to be protective of their characters whilst still being open to ideas (as development of Skylanders and Wreck-It Ralph notes) so the Mario characters should still be themselves for the most part at the very least.

If this does get made I don't expect it to reference anything other than doing it's own thing with the characters.

Which would be fine so long as it doesn't go off the deep end.

The Lorax is probably one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen. And Minions certainly isn't anything one should be proud of. Really, the first Despicable Me is the only Illumination film I'd say is worthwhile.

A thing to note, the live action movie is a major reason why Nintendo didn't let people touch their property for quite a long time, they're going to supervise the heck out of it.

Things can always turn around, I mean, Dreamworks went from Antz to Shrek and Bee Movie to Kung Fu Panda.

A thing to note, the movie is going to air on a Disney station if this comes to fruit, they always air their movies when not airing their own.

I’d rather not have them make it the same tone of the games. Because that kind of tone could only translate to...well games. Ratchet and Clank tried having the same tone with their Feature film and it came off as something you would see as a straight to blu ray animated film than a theatrical film. I think the best way to make a Mario movie good is to make people forget they’re watching a Mario movie or forget that they’re watching a video game adaptation to begin with. What I mean is in terms of being a cinema type film it should have a different tone. A tone that makes you feel like you’re watching an Indie film.

Shadowshy said:
Baby Luigi said:
Here's a question: why are people continuously hating on a game that actually turned out to be good, original, and has quite a few fans? I don't think any of the people hating on Mario + Rabbids has actually played the fucking game. Hating it based on just the principle alone doesn't make you any better than immature people who hate Nintendo due to its "kiddy" image. Grow up.
people love their preconceived and often ignorant/un-thought-out notions
Freakworld is right.

GalacticPetey said:
The Lorax is probably one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen. And Minions certainly isn't anything one should be proud of. Really, the first Despicable Me is the only Illumination film I'd say is worthwhile.
Was actually going to say exactly this. Illumination has a terrible track record and from just an animation standpoint, Illumination is kind of insulting of how it can and has gotten away with being overly simplistic and lazy.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Illumination doesn't have great story-writing.
PERFECT FOR MIYOMOTO

King Antasma said:
To be totally fair, the Mario side of Mario + Rabbids was pretty much 100% "NSMB-ish" (we should actually say modern Mario styled, as it included the Little Birds), at least in term of cast, the crazy part mainly happened on the Rabbids side, including all the new characters.

I refuse to judge this due to the few Illumination movies I saw (DM1 and 2, didn't even dislike them and I don't mind the Minions) and how I'm still burned on the little Bowsers after Paper Mario: Color Splash and Minion Quest: The Search for Bowser (so I have a very very bad feeling about them if they'll be included), I reserve judgement when I'll see something concrete.

Anna said:
Shadowshy said:
Baby Luigi said:
Here's a question: why are people continuously hating on a game that actually turned out to be good, original, and has quite a few fans? I don't think any of the people hating on Mario + Rabbids has actually played the fucking game. Hating it based on just the principle alone doesn't make you any better than immature people who hate Nintendo due to its "kiddy" image. Grow up.
people love their preconceived and often ignorant/un-thought-out notions
Freakworld is right
I redact my previous statement

Back