Should a new Mario show be composed of adaptations or new stories?

Pink Cat

Not always pink, not always a cat
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
A new Mario show or movie seems to be the holy grail of my life :yoshi:
But if one ever comes, should it be composed of adaptations of the games or new stories made for the show.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think it should be like Sonic X where the game stories are big story arcs while the rest are mostly new one offs, just with ya know, good animation and no shoe horned "relate to kids" character made for the show

My idea is that Season 1 starts with an adaptation of Mario 1, with period appropriate aesthetics and colors, and the rest of season 1 be one offs. Season 2 will entirely be an adaptation of Mario 2. Season 3 will have the same pattern as season 1, along with Season 4. The rest will switch between one offs and full adaptations depending on the game.

mario games don't have enough plot to adapt into a long-running story arc
if such a show existed i'd say it'd be mostly one-offs which have characters, locations and ideas taken from various entries across the mario series

I'd say it's better it were to take elements of the games and then create their own stories instead of adaptations.

Adaptations would only easily work with the RPGs and games like Sunshine or Galaxy (or Odyssey). Others would have to have so much added they wouldn't be the same anymore. Like, the existing cartoons were supposed to be based on Mario 1, 3 and World but were really just original stories using characters from those games.

Otherwise, new stories but I'd really like to see a M&L: SS adaptation, maybe because I'm high on that game atm but yeah

I'd rather they stick with doing their own thing like in Super Show, but with updated visuals and voices, as well as some characters added since like Bowser Jr. and Rosalina.

I don't have any preferences, just make it not suck.

Though I would love to see something like the main characters from many nintendo franchises are the main characters of the show and they mostly teem up with each other, Like Mario with Link or something. A crossover show, that'd be cool.

The RPG would probably be the best to focus on since they do carry plot, and it will be alright to make adaptions on them. Making a straight adaption from the game itself would be going back into the original cartoons where the plot is just either random, or filler episodes.

I would absolutely LOVE a modern Mario animated series, kinda makes me wonder why Ninty hadn't jumped on board back during the early 2000s when Sonic X, Kirby Right Back at Ya! and MegaMan NT Warrior were a thing.

When I thought of "adaptation", I immediately thought of this

MarioimWunderland.jpg

Anyway, I'd love me a new animated Mario cartoon. I would prefer a mix of both: having both stuff from the games and completely original plots.

Just new stories. Even with the MaRPGs taken into account, it's not really enough material imo and I'd rather each episode focuses on one story, so it's similar to the disjoint noncanon nature of Mario.

Oh, and characters that need to talk should talk. :new:

There should be a ridiculously elaborate overarching storyline that is also a satire on modern ennui.
Dumb jokes* aside, I'd say new stories, but possibly based off the various games. So, an episode on Delfino Isle, a Kart racing episode, et cetera. Also, you should add a poll.

*if you can even call them that.

I'd say the episodic/one-off format would work best since, even including the RPGs, Mario games usually tend to be standalone (though I guess a less wacky/Japanese Super Mario-Kun format could also work).
As for people saying adaptations of the non-rpg games would be unfeasible, need I remind you that the best Mario adaptation is a loose adaptation of Super Mario World?
https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Adventures

I actually would kinda like to see 'em take a crack at doing a original ongoing narrative, it doesn't have to be anything super deep or complex but some continuity from episode to episode as well as some stakes would be nice. Let's say hypothetically speaking the plot starts with the typical Mario confronting Bowser in his castle scenario but during their fight Bowser uses some evil plot macguffin in an attempt to attack Mario but instead unwittingly unleashes a sealed evil in a can, said evil begins to reek havoc all across the Mushroom Kingdom so Mario and Luigi are tasked with going on a grand adventure to find several heroic plot macguffins in order to counteract the baddie while encountering many zany characters both new and old along the way.

Of course it doesn't have to be exactly like that and I know the words "Mario" and "continuity" don't always go hand in hand, but I thought it would be kinda cool to see a more plot/action oriented Mario animated series.

I'd like a "slice of life but with Mario" kind of thing. :P

I'd like a Mario cartoon animated with the same fluid motion you'd see in an old disney cartoon.

As far as plot is concerned, I think an episodic format with an underlying overarching story. Each episode can be its own thing, but it all in all contributes to the overall narrative in one way or another. Don't know how well they would manage to pull it off, though, given they'd probably have to insert MacGuffin #54 for it to work.

Honestly, I would think the storytelling should be like Rick and Morty, where it's mostly episodic, but it also has really good continuity.

ArchagentEverlasting said:
Honestly, I would think the storytelling should be like Rick and Morty, where it's mostly episodic, but it also has really good continuity.
:dk2: HEY MARIO, I TURNED MYSELF INTO A PICKLE! IM PICKLE DK!

Magikrazy said:
ArchagentEverlasting said:
:dk2: HEY MARIO, I TURNED MYSELF INTO A PICKLE! IM PICKLE DK!
E.Gadd would be the one to turn himself into a pickle honestly.
Which somehow leads to King Boo exacting revenge yet again.

I want a bit of both. I also want Sigurdhosenfeld to draw and animate it.

If he was doing the animation, I think my attention would be pulled away from the story, if you know what I mean.:dk:

I am quite fond of what Super Mario Bros. Super Show did as a Mario cartoon. Although Super Mario Bros. Super Show is rather infamous in many aspects, such as animation errors and having its own take in its world, I am very much in favour of introducing some original ideas of worlds that are used in that cartoon. It allows the writers to go wild in what a Mario universe could have. That is, provided that they still adhere to the source material such as having enemies and elements from the games, which is something Super Show also did. The games already introduced so many enemies and locations, so it would be a waste not to use them. While Mario has some non-human species, I feel that Super Show uses humans in an interesting manner because they don't look out of place.

So basically, like Magikrazy mentioned earlier, be similar to the Super Mario Bros. Super Show in the approach, except with updated presentation to be more in like with the Mario games. Preferably with the 2D Mario artstyle that's been in use since Super Mario 3D World.

Thank you for reading.

Back