What is the most legitimately cruel act throughout the franchise?

LeftyGreenMario said:
I can't be the only one who laughed at HoliJolli village.
I laughed at Santa Toad, at least. I wasn't laughing at the rest of it.

It was said that all toads were brought there so it makes sense to think that so were the hollijollies.

Though it never struck me as all that cruel, at least not any more so then what this series did in the past. At the end they just got turned into purple mushrooms similar to how Bowser turned toads into bricks or how King Boo likes to turn people into paintings.

Everybody's getting turned into something in this series. Could also be a running gag.

Mcmadness said:
It was said that all toads were brought there so it makes sense to think that so were the hollijollies.

Though it never struck me as all that cruel, at least not any more so then what this series did in the past. At the end they just got turned into purple mushrooms similar to how Bowser turned toads into bricks or how King Boo likes to turn people into paintings.

Everybody's getting turned into something in this series. Could also be a running gag.
Their "life force" was getting sucked out of them, though. The Shrooms weren't intentionally turning them into mushrooms - at least, I don't think they were. I always assumed that's what happened to Toads when they become too weak.

Time Turner said:
I laughed at the music. It's freaking Jingle Bells, but with minor notes, like the game is parodying jolly songs, and the game doesn't give you any prior notice that you're going to head into a Christmas-themed village. So, I think everything about it was totally out-of-the-blue in a ridiculous way.

The creation of Yoshi's Island DS.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Time Turner said:
I laughed at the music. It's freaking Jingle Bells, but with minor notes, like the game is parodying jolly songs,
Jingle Bells? The opening bars kinda sounds like it, I guess, but that sounds like a stretch.

LeftyGreenMario said:
and the game doesn't give you any prior notice that you're going to head into a Christmas-themed village. So, I think everything about it was totally out-of-the-blue in a ridiculous way.
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the point.

Glowsquid said:
The creation of Yoshi's Island DS.
But Yoshi's New Island?

Time Turner said:
Their "life force" was getting sucked out of them, though. The Shrooms weren't intentionally turning them into mushrooms - at least, I don't think they were. I always assumed that's what happened to Toads when they become too weak.

You see other non-toads get turned into mushrooms as well.

Mcmadness said:
Time Turner said:

You see other non-toads get turned into mushrooms as well.
Did that happen? Forgive my memory, I haven't played the game in a while.

I think the creepy part is it doesn't seem like a magical transformation but instead a biological transformation. Like the Shroobs put something in their body that takes it over and turns it into a mushroom.

When you the player murder newborn dinosaurs to reach greater heights

Sidon said:
Considering that you hardly die whenever you fall down a pit, I think the Yoshis are fine. I'm sure everyone else is stocking up on 1-Ups, too.

Time Turner said:
Did that happen? Forgive my memory, I haven't played the game in a while.

Yes, notable ones include Kylie Koopa and Baby Bowser.

BBQ Turtle said:
And if you know the background for it, the original Super Mario Bros., i.e. all of the residents of the Mushroom Kingdom were turned into blocks, mushrooms, plants, etc., and Bowser kidnapped Princess Peach to stop her from turning them all back, as only she had the power to do this. And unintentionally, Mario made this worse by smashing the blocks and collecting the mushrooms, etc., so that one's not brilliant either.
No, no, no. No one ever reads the rest of the instruction booklet. On page 8 of the American instruction manual, it says this when talking about power-ups:
If you come across mushrooms who have been turned into bricks or made invisible, they reward you by giving you a power boost.
This implies that Toads who have been turned into blocks give you a power-up as a reward. They wouldn't reward you for killing them, so you aren't killing them. What are you doing, then? My headcanon is that you're turning them back to normal. And yes, I know power-ups come out of ? Blocks, but some do come out of Brick Blocks, and I think the principle of you not killing them still applies even to blocks that have no power-ups in them.

Sidon said:

That's sadistically bloody and I love it.

I see that is the moment we awaken our inner animals.

Let us enjoy sadisticness.

I toss Baby Yoshis off the cliff in New Super Mario Bros. U and I eat Yoshi balut.

Don't let me near any Wild Yoshi Sanctuaries.

Even though I kinda like Yoshis, I just drop them off cliffes very often, because I like going up, and I like being sadistic, and that's a plus.

Hey, at least someone's benefiting from that. Meanwhile, there's nothing to gain from throwing a baby penguin off a cliff in SM64, which is just cruelty for cruelty's sake.

SiFi said:
Hey, at least someone's benefiting from that. Meanwhile, there's nothing to gain from throwing a baby penguin off a cliff in SM64, which is just cruelty for cruelty's sake.
It's fun and the penguin respawns anyhow.

well this thread took an interesting turn

anyway i also found the shroobs kidnapping yoshis and turning them into yoobs was pretty damn cruel too
actually goddamn the whole of partners in time was really downright cruel a lot

The only missing piece in Partners in Time cruelty is Starlow's unnecessary verbal punches on Luigi.

I wonder if Starlow would go low enough to directly insult Baby Luigi.

Probably tell him he shoulda stayed kidnapped or something.

Back